1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone expendable as movies become corporate investments

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by JohnG, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Los Angeles Times:

Film has long been considered a director’s medium, with cinematic auteurs presiding over movie sets like gods. But as high-profile filmmakers are being replaced on big-budget projects with increasing regularity, some say film is fast becoming more of a board-of-directors’ medium, especially in the critical realm of the franchise.

In an industry financially dependent on an ever-smaller handful of films, studio executives are less willing to take chances and more willing to make big changes if needed, even if the moves generate ugly headlines or expensive re-shoots. When hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake in ticket sales and ancillary businesses, no one is irreplaceable.
    jamwerks likes this.
  2. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Thank goodness.

Only the money matters to these corporations. That is true with everything else. It isn't personal; it's business!
  3. wbacer

wbacer Senior Member

Feb 4, 2014
    If it makes money, you're a god.
    It it doesn't, you're fired...
    Desire Inspires likes this.
  4. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

well.. its business. thats what business do. i dont see anyone firing jj abrahms anytime soon though. or even james cameron with 4 (!) avatar movies.

latelty it has become more of a only tentpole huge productions with huge risks. if you for example are paying for your album comver like $10,000, wouldnt you want someone you know has a good track record of doing great designs?
    for me, its those studios business plan. marvel was a sucess so warner is trying with justice league , fox as well w xmen.
    while they see theatrical sales coming down and streaming mounting and having to share that revenue with those services and now are also doing their own content. netflix for example is doing the adam sandler movies. even though i dont like any of those movies i think its a great business plan, they are doing movies that are good for streaming and not thinking of theatrical. and the big studios think that poeple will go out to see those huge movies in theatres and thats where they belong. while the smaller movies are for oscar season. and long - plot driven content for seasons of tv shows.
    and all major studios are doing that. and since the money is now coming from huge financial companies from china and europe which want some control to be able to do those product placements etc.

anyways. its a business and its an industry thats changing very rapidley as more and more tech companies are calling marina del rey (silicon beach) their home. its not an easy business and those studios are trying their best to keep creating good content before they have to fire a boat load of poeple. since those huge movies follow a predetermined plot and structure the director roles looks more like our music mixers role where the big top name mixers will do the commercial pop mix very good and thats why they got hired. for a different more orignal style of directing or doing more risky stuf then its better to see what happens in lower tier budget movies. those huge movies its better to get them to be whats expected but have some elemnt of cool that can sell ("Robert Downey Jr anyone??) .

another point, whcih might sound wierd to poeple is that these huge movies are not for americans anymore. yes the US has a big market but china, japan, europe and other countries is where poeple are going to see them theatrically and where hollywood is really making the money nowadays, not only in theatres but streaming services from those countries. remeber that streaming services nowadays pay as much as broadcast, sometimes more. so for us who follow movies, having a superman vs batman be a stale boring drama with low rotten tomatoes ratings because its not cool as marvel, in the rest of the worls they LOVE IT!. they LOVE even more those transofrmers movies. and those directors sure better be making stuff for those markets that have those predetermines plots, cliches etc. its a hard pill to swollow but the US is slowly sinking in many ways. movies is just another hole in that slowly sinking ship.

these news articles that are already skwed in the point of view just to get more clicks is whats the problem. we just automatically jump into the "movies are not cool anymore" big studios dont know what they are doing and all that romantizigin drama that it entails. its in the LA times... dont you guys think a shit tonw of directors and movie wannabe producers are going to click on it because they are already biased towards the headline? fire a director?! but they are THE ones who make a great movie! just like my childhood hero "insert name here". etc etc.
    we are living in a future where we dont know we are being manipulated. oh well.. ill keep to my side eating stale old crackers watching the grass grow in my retirment home yelling dman kids! once in a while when they step on my lawn!
    jamwerks and Desire Inspires like this.
  5. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Thank you for telling the truth!
  6. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    Financing has often been part of selling any movie idea. I certainly have heard pitches for proposed movies, but they were often anchored in "the director is ... who last time generated $$$" or a key actor who had agreed to participate. Ultimately, even the director is replaceable, so if a franchise or concept is big enough I can see how one individual (director, composer, actor, ...) can't possibly be the only who can deliver.
    When money and art collide it's not always pretty.
    jamwerks likes this.
  7. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

Here is a chArt saying why all those franchises keep getting made and re made and crosses the reason why directors are being interchanged so often..

The directors, similar to us might want a more cool or original idea on how to do the movie. But for studios, the numbers don't lie. Those formulaic franchises bring in big numbers and most releases make way more money abroad than in the us.
    Desire Inspires likes this.