What's new

Eric Whitacre Choir

Congrats to Spitfire & Eric Whitacre. It sounds like a winner to me. For those not familiar with Eric, besides choral music, he's also a wonderful orchestra and band composer. And for those who like to study scores and learn about vocal writing, much of his music is published and the choral pieces are just a couple bucks.

IMHO, this would be a shame, as well as push me further toward paying more attention to alternate sources. This is a very active and open Forum, which provides a steady flow of worldwide opinions and perspectives. YT is terrific for what is does well, but loss of Spitfire Audio here seems a large, net loss for SF.

Agree … was quite surprised to see initial post not made by SFA on COMMERCIAL Announcements. :notworthy:

It's a pity, but Spitfire seems to want to be in control of the narrative, and that's not the case here. Interestingly, Spitfire has yet to post in commercial announcements, so they are clearly "making a statement" regarding their participation. The choir sounds wonderful and worth the wait.

Bobbing up and down between 22 and 35 Mbps here, have tried stop/start a couple times to no avail. It'll probably jump up to 300Mbps on the last gigabyte in the wee hours of tomorrow. Here, let's try an experiment...everybody stop downloading except me...

Anyway, just looked at Paul's video for the first time. Lovin' that new EVO design! At long last it makes sense in relation to the keyboard. Nice to have the volume and pan on sliders. An ergonomist has been at play there. Would like to see the older EVOs updated to that scheme.

The sound is relatively dry on the closer mics! What a surprise. Or maybe I'm just not used to hearing choirs in that hall. I don't see any problems making that work with most anything I've got.

Sorry to hear about the slow downloads guys. I hope you get there!

I freakin' love this library. Hats off to Spitfire & Eric and I'm definitely going to buy it before the intro price ends.

I must say though as an owner of a lot of other choirs (and after listening to the demos and walkthroughs) I'm really not sure if I can't already achieve the same sort of sounds with a lot of the other choir offerings out there with a little FX & tweaking. What I'm hearing in the evolving textures in the evos are very subtle.

In my experience if you drench a choir sample (from any library) in a lot of good reverb and keep it softer in the mix you can achieve some similar yet amazing results. It all tends to blend together as a glorious pad in an arrangement, especially if you team it up with some other evolving type textures.

I'm actually glad that they didn't do a word-builder. Listening to Eric's comments about that in the interview it makes sense. And for Epic Trailer stuff there's probably better choices out there. I mean legato schmegato right? What we're seeing here is more of a focus on atmospheric sound design which is the direction Spitfire seems to be pioneering and does so well with Chamber Evolutions, Swarms, etc..

While these sort of libraries are perfect for my own personal style and taste I'm struggling to weigh out "will it really add that much more to my already existing palette?" I was hoping for Kontakt but after seeing the "How it Works" section on the site I'm becoming a bit more intrigued.

I think where this library really stands out is in the singer's voices. They have a different unique tone then other libs out there and this is where Eric's signature shines. I wouldn't really call it a one trick pony as its two libraries in one for sure, but I feel the Evos are definitely the strong point, take more of the spotlight, and the gem of this collection.

It's a pity, but Spitfire seems to want to be in control of the narrative, and that's not the case here. Interestingly, Spitfire has yet to post in commercial announcements, so they are clearly "making a statement" regarding their participation. The choir sounds wonderful and worth the wait.

I don't see them wanting to control the narrative as much as I see them not wanting to engage in combat, which is what they have to do if they regularly make appearances here. Why spend time confronting angry people with screen names when you may not have a clear picture of their motives and agenda? Spitfire is an amazingly responsive company. If you have a problem, you can have instantaneous communication with their tech support (at least, someone has always been there to immediately answer a question whenever I had one to ask). I think they're just choosing to take the high road.

Am interested to hear from the early downloaders what the RAM situation is with this. Hans Zimmer Strings was a beast of a RAM and disk hog that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to use it for more than a layer tool (~500+MB for every single patch). If this one looks the same it might give me second thoughts. The HZS experience has definitely made me hesitant in this until I’ve heard some experiences.

Would be really grateful for some insights from those brave enough to dive in altready.

Thanks!

I think where this library really stands out is in the singer's voices. They have a different unique tone then other libs out there and this is where Eric's signature shines.

This.

And... while this is indeed lovely -- and unique -- I was hoping that this library might better approach what they are clearly saying it does not do -- nudge further towards replacing a live choir. In my choir mock-up attempts, oohs and ahs can only go so far; I was hoping for more of a word building approach. But that's just me. I can see how their offering fits a certain niche, but this niche isn't one that I feel compelled to open my wallet to enjoy. So my wallet, at least for now, is giving a sigh of relief.

I've been eyeing some other choirs available but have been waiting to see what Spitfire was going to offer. Not to take away from what they've accomplished with this release, just not what I need.

I don't see them wanting to control the narrative as much as I see them not wanting to engage in combat, which is what they have to do if they regularly make appearances here. Why spend time confronting angry people with screen names when you may not have a clear picture of their motives and agenda? Spitfire is an amazingly responsive company. If you have a problem, you can have instantaneous communication with their tech support (at least, someone has always been there to immediately answer a question whenever I had one to ask). I think they're just choosing to take the high road.

I don't 'disagree' yet they surely do not need to respond unless there is something positive to post, or only 'Like'.
I notice responsive posts from OT _ Tobias over time and they all seem to be essentially on the 'high road'.
It is surely not my intent to state other than my personal preference .... that SF maintains a helpful presence here, in what ever form they choose. ;)

With every respect all the ways in which the Nevada landscape contributed to the shaping of the sound, and the British singers and engineers ...

... but listening to those demos, wow this is absolutely the Nordic choir I’ve been waiting for.

It sounds great for a soft choir library but I just don’t see the need for it since I already have Requiem, guess I’m going with Lacrimosa then...

I think Paul Thomson's walk-through video is excellent. The Choir really sounds beautiful with very little fiddling. Generous into price.

Top Bottom