Eric Whitacre Choir

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jneebz, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Paul Cardon

Paul Cardon Ninja Otter Music

Apr 3, 2018
    So when you use AWS and Cloudfront, you do subscribe to bandwidth tiers, and it's possible that Spitfire subscribes to a lower tier as, honestly, they're not pushing super massive amounts of data all the time, and their bandwidth limit might be constrained due to this release.

I'm down in LA and I normally get great speeds, and evidenced by the screenshot above, I'm maxing out my 100Mb/s download speeds today, so again, I don't think it's Spitfire themselves, rather the Cloudfront CDN.

2. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    As Spitfire posted in this thread just earlier today, I wouldn't go as far as to describe the situation as a "loss of Spitfire Audio here;" but I share your sentiment, sostenuto, that it would be great if they would ramp up their involvement at VI Control again.

Best,

Geoff

Vastman and sostenuto like this.
  3. Vastman

Vastman we make the future

Well, I'm glad I checked in today and visited THIS forum!
    What an exciting choir. Love the personality and emotion... different from the typical religious mumbo jumbo and typical stuff cluttering my drives. This was an instant buy for me after listening to/watching the stuff on SA's site. Just got my download notification and had to download a NEW version on SA's downloader for it to appear...

While I have acquired a ridiculous (and, in retrospect, foolish) amount of traditional orchestrals over the years I find myself gravitating to the Olafur's, Swarm, & Heavyocity's Forzo/Novo & OT's Time Macro & ARKs these days, being primarily a songwriter. It is a glorious moment to be a singer songwriter!

I'll be up all night at this rate but it's a great reason to pull an all nighter! Very excited.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I'm seeing the same kind of speeds here in Portland. I've paused it and restarted, and seen it rise up to 50Mbps, but when I went back, it was back to 20-22ish. Ugh!!!

Bill the Lesser likes this.
  5. Vastman

I agree. With one caveat...Post on release or when "real" info can be conveyed so we don't have 20 pages of speculation and wackamole mumbo jumbo before REAL discussions can begin! THIS got very old for me as time is precious these days. Mind you, I own nearly ALL Spitfire libraries but wading through a bunch of blather and speculation I did not enjoy although others might find it fun.

FWIW, I may have totally missed the intro of this had I not meandered into Sample Talk, which I seldom do these days.

Glad I stopped by! Will be having a blast tonight, inspired by this lovely new creation... a choir full of subtle emotion, which I absolutely ADORE! Should blend nice with OT's Time macro choir and their Metropolis Choirs... I think now I'm set!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  6. Vastman

I'm in Coeur d'Alene Idaho on Spectrum and download speed is hovering between 44 and 51 Mbps here... Update: now down to 35 Mbps after a couple hours... only 33GBs downloaded so far...Oy!

TBH, I remember dial up so ain't gonna whine about it... just can't look forward to an all nighter of bliss as this rate...

maybe that china spy chip they hid in a lot of server boards is busy usurping Amazon's cloud at the moment... lot's of goodies stored there... :whistling:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    D Halgren likes this.
  7. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Interesting. I browse vi-control uniquely by viewing the list of "Recent Posts" (and sometimes perusing "Member's Compositions").

tav.one, NoamL and Vastman like this.
  8. heliosequence

heliosequence New Member

May 30, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I've got 28 in Portland right now... it's going to take a while.

D Halgren likes this.
  9. JT

JT Senior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    Congrats to Spitfire & Eric Whitacre. It sounds like a winner to me. For those not familiar with Eric, besides choral music, he's also a wonderful orchestra and band composer. And for those who like to study scores and learn about vocal writing, much of his music is published and the choral pieces are just a couple bucks.

10. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    It's a pity, but Spitfire seems to want to be in control of the narrative, and that's not the case here. Interestingly, Spitfire has yet to post in commercial announcements, so they are clearly "making a statement" regarding their participation. The choir sounds wonderful and worth the wait.

11. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Bobbing up and down between 22 and 35 Mbps here, have tried stop/start a couple times to no avail. It'll probably jump up to 300Mbps on the last gigabyte in the wee hours of tomorrow. Here, let's try an experiment...everybody stop downloading except me...

Anyway, just looked at Paul's video for the first time. Lovin' that new EVO design! At long last it makes sense in relation to the keyboard. Nice to have the volume and pan on sliders. An ergonomist has been at play there. Would like to see the older EVOs updated to that scheme.

The sound is relatively dry on the closer mics! What a surprise. Or maybe I'm just not used to hearing choirs in that hall. I don't see any problems making that work with most anything I've got.

D Halgren likes this.
  12. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    Sorry to hear about the slow downloads guys. I hope you get there!

I freakin' love this library. Hats off to Spitfire & Eric and I'm definitely going to buy it before the intro price ends.

I must say though as an owner of a lot of other choirs (and after listening to the demos and walkthroughs) I'm really not sure if I can't already achieve the same sort of sounds with a lot of the other choir offerings out there with a little FX & tweaking. What I'm hearing in the evolving textures in the evos are very subtle.

In my experience if you drench a choir sample (from any library) in a lot of good reverb and keep it softer in the mix you can achieve some similar yet amazing results. It all tends to blend together as a glorious pad in an arrangement, especially if you team it up with some other evolving type textures.

I'm actually glad that they didn't do a word-builder. Listening to Eric's comments about that in the interview it makes sense. And for Epic Trailer stuff there's probably better choices out there. I mean legato schmegato right? What we're seeing here is more of a focus on atmospheric sound design which is the direction Spitfire seems to be pioneering and does so well with Chamber Evolutions, Swarms, etc..

While these sort of libraries are perfect for my own personal style and taste I'm struggling to weigh out "will it really add that much more to my already existing palette?" I was hoping for Kontakt but after seeing the "How it Works" section on the site I'm becoming a bit more intrigued.

I think where this library really stands out is in the singer's voices. They have a different unique tone then other libs out there and this is where Eric's signature shines. I wouldn't really call it a one trick pony as its two libraries in one for sure, but I feel the Evos are definitely the strong point, take more of the spotlight, and the gem of this collection.

13. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

I don't see them wanting to control the narrative as much as I see them not wanting to engage in combat, which is what they have to do if they regularly make appearances here. Why spend time confronting angry people with screen names when you may not have a clear picture of their motives and agenda? Spitfire is an amazingly responsive company. If you have a problem, you can have instantaneous communication with their tech support (at least, someone has always been there to immediately answer a question whenever I had one to ask). I think they're just choosing to take the high road.

14. windyweekend

windyweekend Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Am interested to hear from the early downloaders what the RAM situation is with this. Hans Zimmer Strings was a beast of a RAM and disk hog that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to use it for more than a layer tool (~500+MB for every single patch). If this one looks the same it might give me second thoughts. The HZS experience has definitely made me hesitant in this until I’ve heard some experiences.

Would be really grateful for some insights from those brave enough to dive in altready.

Thanks!

15. Mucusman

Mucusman Enthusiastic hobbyist

Feb 28, 2016
    Colorado
    This.

And... while this is indeed lovely -- and unique -- I was hoping that this library might better approach what they are clearly saying it does not do -- nudge further towards replacing a live choir. In my choir mock-up attempts, oohs and ahs can only go so far; I was hoping for more of a word building approach. But that's just me. I can see how their offering fits a certain niche, but this niche isn't one that I feel compelled to open my wallet to enjoy. So my wallet, at least for now, is giving a sigh of relief.

I've been eyeing some other choirs available but have been waiting to see what Spitfire was going to offer. Not to take away from what they've accomplished with this release, just not what I need.

16. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

FWIW, my download took around 4 hours.

windyweekend likes this.
  17. germancomponist

germancomponist Senior Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Germany
    Amazing! This is what I call a "good sound".

18. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    I don't 'disagree' yet they surely do not need to respond unless there is something positive to post, or only 'Like'.
    I notice responsive posts from OT _ Tobias over time and they all seem to be essentially on the 'high road'.
    It is surely not my intent to state other than my personal preference .... that SF maintains a helpful presence here, in what ever form they choose. ;)

19. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for rubbing it in:thumbsup:

Bill the Lesser and Vastman like this.
  20. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    With every respect all the ways in which the Nevada landscape contributed to the shaping of the sound, and the British singers and engineers ...

... but listening to those demos, wow this is absolutely the Nordic choir I’ve been waiting for.