What's new

Eric Whitacre Choir

Mason

As someone who have just become a big fan of the evos this is perfect, and you can do things with this choir that no other choral libs can do. The longs also sound better than any other libs I’ve heard. Much thanks to the singers of course.

Virtuoso

Downloading at a snail's pace - 20Mbps. I have Gigabit internet. :rolleyes:

I don't know why this is always the case with Spitfire - I can download in a flash from NI and any of the developers using Continuata, but Spitfire downloads often take many hours or even days.

Seycara

HZ strings legato is pretty bad. Some if it is decent, but some of it also almost unusable. So, there is reason for caution regarding the legatos.
Hope they are good. It always sucks if great samples are being screwed because of bad legato.

EDIT:
Here legatos are heavily featured and sound mostly pretty good. Great in the lower dynamics and a bit bumpy here and there in the higher dynamics.
Those mf/ff transitions are very bumpy and imo does not compare to what else is available. Somewhat disappointed that this is what they have to offer.

This can still be a beautiful library, just not for my uses which are more enveloped with traditional choral contexts.

SpitfireSupport

Customer Experience
Downloading at a snail's pace - 20Mbps. I have Gigabit internet. :rolleyes:

I don't know why this is always the case with Spitfire - I can download in a flash from NI and any of the developers using Continuata, but Spitfire downloads often take many hours or even days.
If nothing changes please do contact us at spitfireaudio.com/support. It’s only by investigating individual cases that we can improve things - we might even be able to speed up your download right there and then.

StillLife

The demo's and walkthrough sounds lovely. To me, it's a pitty it is not NKS compatible, though. With such a big library, I would really like to have the possibility to quickly browse nki's from my NI keyboard, and see the different EVO zones colored at the keys themselves. Works great with Symphonic Evolutions, for instance.

emasters

If nothing changes please do contact us at spitfireaudio.com/support. It’s only by investigating individual cases that we can improve things - we might even be able to speed up your download right there and then.
My download started out fine, but is now crawling along. Will take days to download at this rate...

josephspirits

Really enjoyed the interview with Eric. It sounds like there will be a small labs version of the library for people to try out and score the desert video for a contest, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere else yet (watch the last few minutes of the "Behind the samples" video). I hope that happens!

Virtuoso

Thanks! It's still crawling along so I've submitted a ticket.

Geoff Grace

No, no Word Builder or Kontakt interface etc., but do I care? No I don't.
I don't either.

Word Builder impresses me as an innovation; but after struggling with it for 15 cues back when EWQLSC was released, I ultimately decided that—for me, at least—it was more trouble than it was worth. I realize the feature has improved a bit in more recent libraries; but I don't believe it's become a breeze to use, even now.

Of course, YMMV.

Best,

Geoff

playz123

If no one answers this question, you may be able to find out with no financial investment by downloading one of the new Spitfire Labs libraries, which have the same player.

Best,

Geoff
Geoff, just in case you missed it, the full manual for the choir is available on the main page for the library on the Spitfire site. No purchase is required to download it, nor does one have to refer to Lab manuals for info. "Release" is indeed covered in the choir manual.

Nao Gam

Dirty little gearslut
Holy crap!!! Man, I just bought a Moog One 16-voice, so how does Spitfire expect me now to come up with another $400+??? :shocked: Sounds very nice though, for the few minutes that I've watched the walkthrough so far. :2thumbs:
You only turn 50 once amiright?

I think that depends on the harmonic content of your work. In the demos I can hear some lovely realism in the chordal work but things seem to get a little muddled when there’s lots of movement going on.
I think big block chords especially with lots of extra reverb can sound muddy, keeping just the AIR sound can help..?

Looks REALLY good. Just bought it, and waiting for my download info. This is going to be a real treat under the fingers.

It will be interesting to see how ubiquitous the Eric Whitacre choir sound becomes over the next year or so. I am very happy to have it, though. I wonder if in retrospect, Eric Whitacre will consider this to have been a good career move or not. Will it increase the demand for the real Eric Whitacre choir, or will it make the sound become passé (in a similar manner to the way the East West choir VIs made the whole Orff Carmina Burana Latin choir thing overused and tired)? Time will tell, but the best way to keep whatever it is that you do valuable is to keep it rare.
Probably increase the demand, he's a big name. Also I feel the Carmina Burana thing took off mostly because of trailer music, what I call the double bacon cheeseburger sound - overly saturated "epic" FF/FFF with the occasional pp and barely anything in between. This doesn't cater primarily to the epic market.

Those mf/ff transitions are very bumpy and imo does not compare to what else is available. Somewhat disappointed that this is what they have to offer.

This can still be a beautiful library, just not for my uses which are more enveloped with traditional choral contexts.
Keep in mind Paul likes using the expression slider along with dynamics. Maybe it's the programming?

Mike Fox

I don't either.

Word Builder impresses me as an innovation; but after struggling with it for 15 cues back when EWQLSC was released, I ultimately decided that—for me, at least—it was more trouble than it was worth. I realize the feature has improved a bit in more recent libraries; but I don't believe it's become a breeze to use, even now.

Of course, YMMV.

Best,

Geoff
The novelty of a word builder is cool, but in actual application, it becomes a royal pain in the ass (as you've already pointed out). Remember the good old old days when the SC word builder wasn't even integrated into the GUI? It was like a second plugin or something screwy like that.

Øyvind Moe

Just smile and wave, boys.
Some great sounds and colors in there. I was kind of hoping they'd managed to convince Eric to write a demo track, but I guess you can't have everything ...

Reactions: ism

ism

Wow. And you know, I’m loving the graphics of this - the deserts and the talk of open skies and large spaces and the warm colour palettes.

But if you were to rename all the demos things like “ode or a glacier’’, or “27 more names for snow” and closed your eyes and thought of fijords or something while you listened, it would Work be just as brilliantly.

Nothing against the dessert imagery though. Just sorry it won’t be joining the scandi bundle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom