What's new

EQ for adding high sparkle ?

Sweet trick I learned on YouTube somewhere: if you have Logic, you can transpose the bands of the Vintage Graphic EQ up an octave and add a little at 32khz.

+1 for Manley Massive Passive EQ, there are some Meldaproduction emulation in TurboEQ too, but not sure other than UADs, there are some Acustica Audio for Nebula 3rd partry libraries too.

AH! I remember, there is also Native Instruments Passive EQ too

Also Very famous is Maag EQ, and Eiosis,and Clariphonic

AND LASTLY, DMG Equilibrium has magical Highs! EQuick too etc And not only Highs, but anything! Highly recommend it

By the way, do you young whippersnappers who are on my lawn really hear "air band" EQ?

I can hear 19K sines if they're turned up - although not all the freqs between 10K and 19K - but when I read about over 20K EQs, I can't help being skeptical.

The amount of power in those frequencies is very, very low , i.e. whatever's there is extremely quiet.

Caveat: my hearing is still very good, but humans do lose some HF over the years, presumably due to our cochlea becoming less elastic. So maybe that's why I don't hear it. But I don't think I'd have heard much when I was in my 30s either.

By the way, do you young whippersnappers who are on my lawn really hear "air band" EQ?

I can hear 19K sines if they're turned up - although not all the freqs between 10K and 19K - but when I read about over 20K EQs, I can't help being skeptical.

The amount of power in those frequencies is very, very low , i.e. whatever's there is extremely quiet.

Caveat: my hearing is still very good, but humans do lose some HF over the years, presumably due to our cochlea becoming less elastic. So maybe that's why I don't hear it. But I don't think I'd have heard much when I was in my 30s either.

nobody telling you they hear it is actually hearing the 28k boost. they're hearing the very loose Q that is reaching down an octave or two (or more) below it. example, a boost of 4dB at 28k on some of the EQs being mentioned may mean a 2db boost at 14k, which now, proper monitoring provided, most of us can hear. difference being doing that 28k boost vs just boosting at 14k is you now don't have a centralized peak in your audible range, you just have a 1 way really smooth curve. also unlike a shelf filter which is likely to flatten out after it's corner frequency and provide a different response. really the reesponse of these "air bands" is more similar to that of a baxandall filter, though i believe the math/circuit is approached much differently.

also just thinking out loud here (haven't run any measurements on this myself) but i believe putting your center frequency outside of the audible spectrum (and possibly above nyquist limit) will have a favorable effect on minimizing phase shift, being that the center freq of the eq is the point with the most severe shift. don't quote me on that, i need to open up the analyzer this week and check.

Here's another one...
https://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/1973-2/
But yeah, Clariphonic.

nobody telling you they hear it is actually hearing the 28k boost

Right, I'm vaguely familiar with the concept of Q. :)

But that is a good question, whether the filter ringing is worse/strongest at the center frequency. Probably not, thinking about it, there's just less boost at the audible freqs.

Also, linear phase EQ doesn't have the same ringing.

Oh yes. Soundtoys Sie-Q is awesome for adding that top sheen sparkles. It's one of the best soundgoodizer that I have. Just add +2 on the high and boom, done.
its one of my favorite EQ, and i got it free a few years ago... also this plugin add some analog noise at 20hz. i wish it has option to turn off the noise, example like plugin alliance

its one of my favorite EQ, and i got it free a few years ago... also this plugin add some analog noise at 20hz. i wish it has option to turn off the noise, example like plugin alliance
PSP E27 lets you boost 28k and control the noise as you want. It’s my favorite analog style EQ plugin. Between it, Clariphonic, and some kind of “exciter” you’d be able to have sparkle for days.

Oh yes. Soundtoys Sie-Q is awesome for adding that top sheen sparkles. It's one of the best soundgoodizer that I have. Just add +2 on the high and boom, done.

I like everything I've ever used by Soundtoys.

Years ago they had two plug-ins that are the only ones I really missed after giving up my Pro Tools TDM hardware system around 2004: Pitchblender and Timeblender.

They were like synths, except you run audio through them - my favorite plug-ins for when you just know you want an interesting effect without knowing what it is going in.

Hi,

2 days ago I found free "Fresh Air" from Slate Digital
it looks it does what Clariphonic can,
I wasn't able to compare them, as I don't own Clariphonic...
maybe some one who own Clariphonic could comper it to "Fresh Air" ?

regards
Jarek

Perhaps have a look at the Brainworx bx_digital V3. It has a top band that reaches up to 40k, and can definitely help give that sense of air. It's a very versatile box-of-tricks:

Another option to consider is careful use of an exciter. Slate Digital are currently offering 'Fresh Air', which is free for a limited time. I've not tried it, but I might:

This is quite a basic question, but what exactly does Kush Clariphonic do differently to other EQs? Does it have an exciter/saturation built into it? If not, what is it doing that a stock EQ can't? Not to sound skeptical or something, but I've heard so much praise about it while feeling like I still don't understand exactly what it does under the hood to achieve the results.

Every eq can do this. However, a very useful plugin that can do what no other plugin does is the Kush Clariphonic. Used sparingly, it can open up a muffled instrument or mix. It adds just a little clarity and sheen. Very easy to use too much of it though, at which point it will sound too bright and harsh. It's one of the few plugins that I use very often and don't know any viable alternative for.
How about Spectre with de-emphasis active?

Wait, is it 2024 already?

Last edited:
This is quite a basic question, but what exactly does Kush Clariphonic do differently to other EQs? Does it have an exciter/saturation built into it? If not, what is it doing that a stock EQ can't? Not to sound skeptical or something, but I've heard so much praise about it while feeling like I still don't understand exactly what it does under the hood to achieve the results.
Yes, kind of saturation on hi frequencies. It has nothing to do with any EQ I know of.
It is a different beast. It sounds so good at first that you tend to overdo it until you learn to find the sweet spot.
Demo it if possible so you hear it yourself

Yes, kind of saturation on hi frequencies. It has nothing to do with any EQ I know of.
It is a different beast. It sounds so good at first that you tend to overdo it until you learn to find the sweet spot.
Demo it if possible so you hear it yourself
No, that's wrong information that's often spread.
Clariphonic is a clean EQ with no saturation at all.
The special thing about it is how it grabs the frequencies, or better: which part of the spectrum it doesn't affect (basically it doesn't introduce any harshness).

I don't know if I could replicate it with my "normal" EQs, I never tried.
The workflow with Clariphonic is so simple that I never felt the urge to replicate it.

Top Bottom