What's new

Epic Landscape - Classical Composition

OleJoergensen

It is a beautiful composition, I like it . There is some Danish national feeling in your composition.
Which libraries did you use?
Also there is some live sound to it, how did you do that :)?

OP
M

mediumaevum

It is a beautiful composition, I like it . There is some Danish national feeling in your composition.
Which libraries did you use?
Also there is some live sound to it, how did you do that :)?
I used mainly 8Dio especially for the strings and some other stuff. For the strings I made use of the Dynamic Bowings library (a sub-library), which essentially are different ways of bowing the same notes. These bowings in turn, can be altered further by the use of Expression and Dynamics-settings. The Expression controls the velocity/volume and the Dynamics controls the intensity/strength.

All the way through the piece I had to draw curves for the Dynamics-controller and also some Expression/volume to make intensity of the piece high or low.

For the "live-ness" of the piece I actually played some of the notes myself on a midi keyboard.

I believe you can achieve this realism yourself using almost any library, as long as it has Dynamics and Expression controllers. What you need to be aware of is to draw the curves so it makes sense. My advice is the lower the Dynamics/Expression when emphasizing tranquility and raise it at the emotional peaks of your composition.

Also make sure you fully use the orchestra. For example, a violin can play much more than simply a bowed note (and different ways of bowing the same note btw.) - for instance, it can be plucked, tapped or whatever.

Another good advice to achieve live sound is the use of pauses/rests! The orchestra needs to breathe and rest for a few miliseconds to seconds, and I incorporated that in my composition as well. The pause should extend for whatever period makes sense. When you pause ie. the first violins, and the second violins has yet to be played, you can easily let the second violins do some stuff meanwhile.

A common error most classical VST-composers make is to give all instruments/players equal importance. Some are more important than others! Once you realise this insight, you have the key to realism.

OleJoergensen

Thank you for taking your time to make a detailed explanation!
Do you also use some kind of “hall noise’ plugin/ library or is this sound baked into 8dio’s strings?
There is some quality to your recording that reminds me of being in a concert hall for a live performance.

OP
M

mediumaevum

Thank you for taking your time to make a detailed explanation!
Do you also use some kind of “hall noise’ plugin/ library or is this sound baked into 8dio’s strings?
There is some quality to your recording that reminds me of being in a concert hall for a live performance.
No, I did not use any noise.

OP
M

mediumaevum

In all honesty, would you say my composition is boring/monotonous?
If so, what can I do in the future compositions to avoid a boring/monotonous orchestration?

Top Bottom