What's new

Ends tomorrow! 🎹 50% off Nocturne Baby Grand Piano

NocturneSounds

Nocturne Sounds
Our gorgeous baby grand piano is now available with a massive 50% discount - just £19.99! (usually £39.99)

This is a beautiful six-foot Yamaha baby grand that has a warm, woody tone and true sympathetic resonance.

• "Really nice piano this one. Warm and resonant and cleverly scripted, and light on the CPU." - CGR pianoproducer.com
  • "This [piano library] has an intimacy that is unique." - Michele Paciulli
  • "This really sounds nice and open and warm" - Simeon Amburgey

Recorded in pristine 24bit 96kHz, using a pair of high-quality AKG 414 microphones and smooth valve pre-amps. Every individual sample was then painstakingly reviewed and edited by hand, so the instrument retains its true character and expressiveness.

For more information, checkout this thorough walkthrough by @Simeon, who puts the piano through it's paces and explores every feature.

Features include:
  • True sympathetic resonance samples
  • Superbly playable, with an average of 18 dynamic layers per note
  • Controls to customise the volume of resonance, key noises, release samples and more
  • Key and pedal noise samples
  • Simulated soft pedal
  • For Kontakt 5.8.1 full version and above

Find out more and purchase at www.nocturnesounds.com

Deal ends 31 July 2021

UPDATED TO VERSION 1.1.0 (Fixes issue mentioned below) - update is available free to all users. New users will receive version 1.1.0 automatically.

Last edited:
I don't need another piano obvs but anything @CGR says is good has me intrigued... What Yamaha model is this exactly?
Glad to hear you're interested! I believe it is either a C3 or a G5, which means it's reaching the larger limit of what people would call a baby grand but still nowhere near a concert piano. That explains the nice warm tone compared to most small baby grands. I don't recall specifically what the model is - I'll dig out the notes I made during the recording and see if it's there.

I used to play this piano frequently and found it a real joy to play, which is why I took the time to sample it.

Whats happening with that noise? I can hardly hold chords without getting the noise floor multiplying into a loud digital mess??? Tried all settings.

Whats happening with that noise? I can hardly hold chords without getting the noise floor multiplying into a loud digital mess??? Tried all settings.
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. Can you send a support message via the contact form please? I'll take a look then post an update here once we've had a look. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sure, but it sound like its the samples itself. If i pull down the dynamics, even not much, its more noise than sound.

Sure, but it sound like its the samples itself. If i pull down the dynamics, even not much, its more noise than sound.
Ahh okay, yes, the dynamics control is a new feature we added recently after discussion in this thread. It wasn't something we had in the initial version. The dynamics control makes all the individual velocity layers boost in volume, compressing the dynamic range of the instrument. I've found this can be really nice for special effects rather than regular playing, and works best when it isn't pushed too far. A side-effect of the volume boost is that the noise floor increases significantly of course.

We wanted to ensure this instrument retained a lot of it's original character, so any noise reduction and processing was very gentle. The most quiet velocity layers in the Nocturne Baby Grand Piano are incredibly quiet (almost silent), so the noise floor will be especially noticeable on those samples when they've been boosted to 0db!

Would you find it better to work with if the quietest/noisiest velocity layers were omitted when you max the dynamics control? This would reduce the noise floor extremes you hear, but also reduce the amount of dynamic layers you have to play with. Let me know as I could apply this to an update.

Last edited:
Ummm, i see (I hope). I let the Expression at 100%,
The first note in this example (wav follows), the A6 had a Velocity above 30,
And this is the only key where its hissing at that Vel#.
(Maybe im just sleepy but did I hear someone speaking in another sample? :P)

The audible noise floor is very different on each note/key and starts
with different velocities, so its unpredictable listening, therefore playing,
maybe the cause was Leveling the samples?

So, reducing the Dynamics / Levels could only solve part of the problem
because the noise floor isn’t appearing evenly. If I play that soft on other libraries
(at almost no audible tone), they have no noise of that kind.

Hmm, I don’t want to be picky, just trying to figure It out. :)
I really like the sound of it, mmhmm.

Ummm, i see (I hope). I let the Expression at 100%,
The first note in this example (wav follows), the A6 had a Velocity above 30,
And this is the only key where its hissing at that Vel#.
(Maybe im just sleepy but did I hear someone speaking in another sample? :P)

The audible noise floor is very different on each note/key and starts
with different velocities, so its unpredictable listening, therefore playing,
maybe the cause was Leveling the samples?

So, reducing the Dynamics / Levels could only solve part of the problem
because the noise floor isn’t appearing evenly. If I play that soft on other libraries
(at almost no audible tone), they have no noise of that kind.

Hmm, I don’t want to be picky, just trying to figure It out. :)
I really like the sound of it, mmhmm.
Hi @Snoobydoobydoo,

Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate it. And I'm really pleased you like the sound! :) Unfortunately, I can't see a WAV file attached to your post.

I can also assure you that no-one is speaking in the samples. I was the only person during the recording and I have listened to each sample many times to ensure they are as good as possible! :)

The varying noise floor is likely as each sample was edited and noise-reduced individually to retain as much essence of the recorded sound as possible and prevent any algorithm artefacts. I can only hear it when using the "dynamics" control special effect, since each sample becomes more normalized to 0db. In regular playing, the noise floor will be low and in a similar region for all samples.

Regarding other libraries, we did minimal noise reduction in comparison for the purposes of retaining as "raw" sound as possible. It's also quite possible the valve preamps introduce some noise at very low volumes too. I expect that's why the difference is noticeable to you.

The alternative would be for us to do further noise reduction on the samples, which is totally possible. I'll review it and see whether this will be detrimental to the sound or not.

It's great to hear people's opinions because we want our libraries to be a good as possible (so feedback usually makes its way into an update!).

Thanks @Snoobydoobydoo. Everyone, we believe we've identified what's going on and a fix is on it's way. The update should be made available via the Pulse Downloader in a few days.

Additionally, anyone who has previously purchased via Loot Audio/Kontakt Hub will soon receive a license key for the Pulse Downloader so they can receive all future updates.

I'll post again here once the new version is available to download.

NEW UPDATE - VERSION 1.1.0

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your support and to @Snoobydoobydoo for noticing the noise issue introduced with the new Dynamics control feature.

We have just published a brand new update - version 1.1.0 - which fully resolves the issue above. We carefully reprocessed all of the samples with additional noise reduction, so that now when you use the Dynamics control you do not get a large amount of background noise. The update is free to all users of Nocturne Baby Grand Piano.

If you've been waiting until now to purchase, you don't have to do anything. You'll install the new version immediately.

For existing users, you'll need to open the Pulse Downloader app and click "Reinstall" (not update). This is because it's quite a large update and it's more efficient for you to do it this way than via the Pulse update feature (this was the recommendation of the Pulse Downloader team).

Thanks again for all your support and we hope you enjoy using the Nocturne Baby Grand Piano. Please do share some of the music you create as we'd love to hear it!

Robert

NEW UPDATE - VERSION 1.1.0

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your support and to @Snoobydoobydoo for noticing the noise issue introduced with the new Dynamics control feature.

We have just published a brand new update - version 1.1.0 - which fully resolves the issue above. We carefully reprocessed all of the samples with additional noise reduction, so that now when you use the Dynamics control you do not get a large amount of background noise. The update is free to all users of Nocturne Baby Grand Piano.

If you've been waiting until now to purchase, you don't have to do anything. You'll install the new version immediately.

For existing users, you'll need to open the Pulse Downloader app and click "Reinstall" (not update). This is because it's quite a large update and it's more efficient for you to do it this way than via the Pulse update feature (this was the recommendation of the Pulse Downloader team).

Thanks again for all your support and we hope you enjoy using the Nocturne Baby Grand Piano. Please do share some of the music you create as we'd love to hear it!

Robert
Hi Robert,

I purchased this last year (13th July) from Loot Audio and the update isn't available in my account there (still listed as v1.0.1) I have the latest Pulse downloader but it isn't showing in my products there.

Hi Robert,

I purchased this last year (13th July) from Loot Audio and the update isn't available in my account there (still listed as v1.0.1) I have the latest Pulse downloader but it isn't showing in my products there.
Same here - looks like us Loot Audio peeps need the afore-mentioned Pulse Downloader license keys!

@CGR and @pcohen12 - thanks for bringing this to my attention. Apologies about this. I shared the license keys with Loot Audio earlier this week, so we must still be waiting for Loot Audio to distribute them to you (I expect this is a manual process).

I'll contact Loot Audio now and chase them up. If you still haven't received the new keys by the end of this week, please contact us (https://www.nocturnesounds.com/contact (www.nocturnesounds.com/contact)). Thanks a lot and I appreciate your patience.

@CGR and @pcohen12 - thanks for bringing this to my attention. Apologies about this. I shared the license keys with Loot Audio earlier this week, so we must still be waiting for Loot Audio to distribute them to you (I expect this is a manual process).

I'll contact Loot Audio now and chase them up. If you still haven't received the new keys by the end of this week, please contact us (https://www.nocturnesounds.com/contact (www.nocturnesounds.com/contact)). Thanks a lot and I appreciate your patience.
Thanks for chasing this Robert. I have now received an email from Loot Audio with a Pulse download code, although the email says v1.0.2 (which is also the version listed on my Loot Audio account product page). Will the same Pulse code work for the v1.1.0 update? (haven't tried downloading yet with Pulse).

Thanks for chasing this Robert. I have now received an email from Loot Audio with a Pulse download code, although the email says v1.0.2 (which is also the version listed on my Loot Audio account product page). Will the same Pulse code work for the v1.1.0 update? (haven't tried downloading yet with Pulse).
Great news. As long as you have received a Pulse Download code, you'll receive the latest version when you redeem your download code and install via Pulse.

Top Bottom