Emotional Textural: Your choice ?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by keepitsimple, Feb 28, 2019.

1. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Active Member

May 8, 2017
    Just curious, what's everyone's library choices in terms for emotional/drama/textural? Please fill the categories below:

1- Strings (both full and solo strings apply): -----
    2- Textures (non-electronic): -----
    3- Choir/Vocals: -----

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. averystemmler

averystemmler Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    I would hope it'd depend entirely on the story you're trying to help tell. In my opinion, asking someone to make an emotional texture is like asking a Foley artist to make a "weather texture." There's a lot of undisclosed nuance there.

But, if someone told me "make an emotional texture in five minutes and I'll give you your weight in SSDs," I guess I'd reach for some spitfire thing. Albion V or an Evo maybe.

keepitsimple and Studio E like this.
  3. Greg

Greg Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I hear the spitfire evo's absolutely everywhere now so I would avoid those unless you do some crazy processing on them. The program Paul Stretch is basically god mode for creating textures out of anything. You can stretch a 3 second motif into a lush harmonic pad and control the harmonic octaves. Its really great

4. averystemmler

averystemmler Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Granular synthesis in general is good for that, come to think of it. Or a long reverb with a slow attack/minimal ERs.

Greg likes this.
  5. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I think the question is a bit vague, any examples of the style to which you're referring? Most music is emotional and textural to the composer

6. OP
    OP
    keepitsimple

May 8, 2017
    I will record some examples later but basically: String longs, no shorts, slow lyrical melody played by 1st violins while remaining sections playing a mixture of harmonics and sustains, choir or vocals join in later to sing the melody in parallel with 1st violins etc etc ........

Casiquire likes this.
  7. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Thanks for clarifying! I think that a lot of well recorded libraries can handle it, but if you're serious about harmonics and a moody sound Spitfire might be a good one to look into. If you're thinking higher dynamics, Metropolis might have some good dramatic and heavy patches too and you'd get choir included. I'm curious what others think!

keepitsimple likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    keepitsimple

May 8, 2017
    I’m layering CSS with BDT and I like the results.