What's new

Embertone Releases: Walker 1955 Steinway 'D'

I don't get any cutoffs with the new 1.1 beta instrument and I can already tell that there is a huge difference in expression with half pedaling! Half sustained notes leave so much more room for subtle details. Previously, the full sustained notes were too dominate in dense passages.

One thing that I can tell for sure is that the voice count and cpu usage skyrockets with this instrument!!! I hope that in the future some optimization will bring cpu - buffer size requirements down.

For me even with the new beta update the piano is still unplayable.
I have a correct machine: I7 quad core 2016 macbook pro. 16 Gb or ram, fast SSD, thunderbolt UAD apollo twin sound card: I can't play without dropout with a buffer at 128. As soon as the voices go around the voice limit and I release the sustain pedal I get dropouts.
I have tried to lower the voice limit or to set it very high, batch resave. I have even tried to reinstall a fresh OS on an external SSD without success. The support answer is to set the buffer size aroud 512 or 758!!!

How many perspective can you play at the same time with the classical preset? and what buffer size do you use? how many voices?

Reading the thread title made me think of that old TV show, Walker Texas Ranger...

Anyway, sounds nice :)

For me even with the new beta update the piano is still unplayable.
I have a correct machine: I7 quad core 2016 macbook pro. 16 Gb or ram, fast SSD, thunderbolt UAD apollo twin sound card: I can't play without dropout with a buffer at 128. As soon as the voices go around the voice limit and I release the sustain pedal I get dropouts.
I have tried to lower the voice limit or to set it very high, batch resave. I have even tried to reinstall a fresh OS on an external SSD without success. The support answer is to set the buffer size aroud 512 or 758!!!

How many perspective can you play at the same time with the classical preset? and what buffer size do you use? how many voices?

I also have a Dell i7 quad core 2018 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop, with a very fast SSD. In order to avoid dropouts on a slower more melodic Liszt or Grieg lyrical piece, I've had to increase the buffer size to at least 256 (which is a noticeable latency to me) and use only one microphone set - Wide. I've also had to adapt my playing to hang onto notes with more exaggerated legato and pronounced on-to-off-to-on sustain pedaling to help clear the buffer. These are all things I do not have to do with Garritan CFX Full, VSL Steinway or PianoTeq 6.4 Std - operating with zero or no latency with a polyphony of 128 (or 256 on PT) and buffers of no more than 128. I can definitely hear the potential in the sound of the samples with the Embertone Walker 1955 Concert D - i.e. beautiful sampling; but the interface and details of operation have a way to go to match their aforementioned competitors.

I have to genuinely applaud everyone here for their commitment and patience with this piano in terms of waiting for a fix. I mean not even the wife in the new Netflix show ‘Dirty John” has the patience you guys have.

Me? I threw the towel a long time ago, it’s now in my trash stash aka ‘unused libraries SSD”. I did update to the beta version yesterday but it’s still in the trash stash and I have a feeling it will always be there.

We’ll see when the final update rolls but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
I have to genuily applaud everyone here for their commitment and patience with this piano, knowing that it sounds good but it plays....NOT so good. Not even the wife in the new Netflix show ‘Dirty John” can have the patience you guys have in terms of waiting for a fix.

Me? I threw the towel a long time ago, it’s now in my trash stash aka ‘unused libraries SSD”. I did update to the beta version yesterday but it’s still in the trash stash, I’m not really getting my hopes up. We’ll see when the final update rolls....
Ha! I like your 'Dirty John' analogy, but I'm sorry to hear The Walker D still isn't working for you. I haven't tried the beta update as yet (I only have the Lite, and will sit it out until the final release update is out before considering upgrading to the full version).

I have to genuinely applaud everyone here for their commitment and patience with this piano in terms of waiting for a fix. I mean not even the wife in the new Netflix show ‘Dirty John” has the patience you guys have.

Me? I threw the towel a long time ago, it’s now in my trash stash aka ‘unused libraries SSD”. I did update to the beta version yesterday but it’s still in the trash stash and I have a feeling it will always be there.

We’ll see when the final update rolls but I’m not getting my hopes up.
I am halfway to the same direction, especially because my request for beta patch stays couple of months without results and I really hate to repeat myself and beg again. So my focus change towards VSL pianos. But as you said, we`ll see when the final update comes.

I am halfway to the same direction, especially because my request for beta patch stays couple of months without results and I really hate to repeat myself and beg again. So my focus change towards VSL pianos. But as you said, we`ll see when the final update comes.
Good for you. Long time coming for you. You made the right choice!

Hi people.

I have two products from Embertone.

-Walker 1955 Steinway D
-Joshua Bell Violin

I noted that in Komplete Kontrol sofware, The Walker Piano is showed under Native Instruments Vendor and not in Embertone. The Joshua Violin is correct under the Embertone.

I didn´t check all the forum yet, but I appreciate to know if someone have had the same problem. I asked Embertone, but they don´t have an answer for me until now.

Thank you
Alex
InkedEmebrtone_LI.jpg InkedJoshua_LI.jpg

Hi people.

I have two products from Embertone.

-Walker 1955 Steinway D
-Joshua Bell Violin

I noted that in Komplete Kontrol sofware, The Walker Piano is showed under Native Instruments Vendor and not in Embertone. The Joshua Violin is correct under the Embertone.

I didn´t check all the forum yet, but I appreciate to know if someone have had the same problem. I asked Embertone, but they don´t have an answer for me until now.

Thank you
Alex
InkedEmebrtone_LI.jpg InkedJoshua_LI.jpg
I have this issue with one of my Metropolis Ark libraries, which also shows up under OT, after I reinstalled the KK software. Oddly, this library doesn't even exist on my drives and it persisted under NI even after I did a complete removal and reinstall of the KK software earlier today. Then there are the libraries that don't show up at all but should...

Indeed. At first I couldn't find the NKS controls for the Walker because I was looking . . . for Embertone. I was about to message tech support to inquire about this, and accidentally stumbled upon it. I wonder, though, how many have messaged tech support about this? Definitely should be fixed.

Top Bottom