What's new

Embertone Releases: Walker 1955 Steinway 'D'

These are similar, although not as noticeable as the ones I'm referring to. Mine are always on E2 at louder velocities, and always right at the start of the note. I'm not at home, but I'll try to record some examples this evening and post.

Okay, here's a simple test example. This is with the standard load of the Hammer mic set, but set to 36 velocity layers, full dynamics, and reverb off.

The first set of notes is 36 notes of E2 increasing velocity 92 to 127.
  • To my ear, the last 10 notes (i.e., velocities 108 to 127) of the E2 demonstrate the knock, with the last 5 (i.e., velocities 123 to 127) overly obnoxious.
The second set of notes is 36 notes of F2 increasing velocity 92 to 127.
  • This is just a control. I don't hear this knock at all on F2.
The final 16 notes are the following sequence repeated four times: E2@107, E2@127, F2@107, F2@127.
  • This is there just to contrast with knock and without knock based on velocity. No knock on F2; knock on E2 at 127, but not at 107.
While I used the Hammer Mic position, I find this knock to be consistent over all the Mic position sample sets.

By the way, ignore the link name, and at least one of my initial comments that keeps showing up regarding the note names. The notes are E2 and F2.

Last edited:
I wish they just let me know the progress of the update.:sleep:
Every information about update we received from Embertone in the last seven months was false, so till we received update on email, we don`t know whats really going on no matter what they say. Sorry to all VI community, I think that patient at least for honesty from developer just left me.

Last edited:
Every information about update we received from Embertone in the last seven months was false, so till we received update on email, we don`t know whats really going on no matter what they say. Sorry to all VI community, I think that patient at least for honesty from developer just left me.
There is no dishonesty going on here. Just unforeseen circumstances that caused unexpected delays....which is commonplace in the world of software development. You’re right to be frustrated or disappointed, but to call the company dishonest is a step too far, IMO.

There is no dishonesty going on here. Just unforeseen circumstances that caused unexpected delays....which is commonplace in the world of software development. You’re right to be frustrated or disappointed, but to call the company dishonest is a step too far, IMO.
I love when someone interpreted something I did not say. Where do you read that I was said that Embertone is dishonest ? I expect honesty and thats it. Did I say something that isn`t truth ? My rare conversation with Embertone about update and beta update is something that you dont know nothing about.

Sorry did I misinterpret this? Not trying to spark anything...this just sounds like you're questioning their honesty in this statement.
Just to end up this conversation. Did you read this in my previous post ? `My rare conversation with Embertone about update and beta update is something that you dont know nothing about`. Anyone here who take this piano from the moment its shows on the market, the same like me waiting for update and even make some jokes about their promises. No need to go further. I love that piano. I hope we can now talk about piano and some good things about it.:)

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you only use mic at a time with this one? What about having a couple of close and a room mic together? Not possible?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you only use mic at a time with this one? What about having a couple of close and a room mic together? Not possible?
You can use all mics at the same time if your PC can handle it. Load one by one in Kontakt and play them at the same time. I think combination of two mics are enough. In promised update Embertone will fix multi patch.

You can use all mics at the same time if your PC can handle it. Load one by one in Kontakt and play them at the same time. I think combination of two mics are enough. In promised update Embertone will fix multi patch.

So it doesn't sound like two pianos playing together, or phasing issues?

Just to end up this conversation. Did you read this in my previous post ? `My rare conversation with Embertone about update and beta update is something that you dont know nothing about`. Anyone here who take this piano from the moment its shows on the market, the same like me waiting for update and even make some jokes about their promises. No need to go further. I love that piano. I hope we can now talk about piano and some good things about it.:)
:thumbsup:

There is no dishonesty going on here. Just unforeseen circumstances that caused unexpected delays....
But true honesty and professionalism would speak out „ok guys, we failed again, and it’s because of... our new plans and actions are as following:....“ and so on.
In their early days, that’s exactly what they did, and one of the reasons I got in love with @Embertone.
So: let’s set the second half of 2018 aside, and let 2019 shine, Alex&Jonathan :) !!

But true honesty and professionalism would speak out „ok guys, we failed again, and it’s because of... our new plans and actions are as following:....“ and so on.
In their early days, that’s exactly what they did, and one of the reasons I got in love with @Embertone.
So: let’s set the second half of 2018 aside, and let 2019 shine, Alex&Jonathan :) !!

They had a holiday sale recently and did just that in the post in this very forum. They even offered to send anyone a beta version with half pedaling if it was needed before the official update was ready. I recall them saying the half pedaling was relatively easy but there were lots of little things that needed cleaning up that were more time intensive than expected. You can probably search for the thread and find it. You could also always shoot them an email.

I don't mind the update isn't released yet, but the lack of communication is alarming. Just one short post every week would do it. Well yes, you can always shoot an email, but I'd expect a more official announcement e.g., that you have to rename your nki to make the library work again. I discovered this here by chance.

It's always hard to earn a customer's trust back.

They had a holiday sale recently and did just that in the post in this very forum. They even offered to send anyone a beta version with half pedaling if it was needed before the official update was ready. I recall them saying the half pedaling was relatively easy but there were lots of little things that needed cleaning up that were more time intensive than expected. You can probably search for the thread and find it. You could also always shoot them an email.
Yeah, they promised that, I already ask for beta patch in November. They answer was very positive. Guess what. Nothing. I still try to keep my positive attitude about it.

Last edited:
I’m looking at it this way.
Am I happy Embertone released Walker when they did?
Oh yeah.
Would I have preferred them to postpone its release until they added half pedaling?
Hell no.
So I’m happy, very happy ‘cause I can play this amazing instrument while they’re working on an update. Don’t mind if they do and don’t mind if they take their time.

@Fleer and @Funkybot ,
You both have valid arguments, and I agree to a certain point - I bought it "as it was", and are happy with it, they had a great sale, and so on. I was just pointing out their shift/degradation in terms of communication and tight contact. And, as a side note, beside the undisputed quality of the product, we also buy from a company because of the trust you have in them in terms of ongoing development and their approach of "living instruments".
My last point - I think a forum like this is not necessary, if we only praise the developers no matter what they do. A certain push/pull from the market (in polite and fair manners, no question!) is always needed and of benefit for both sides.

Plus, the half-pedaling thing was an addition they weren't really counting on which means they are likely working on it at the same time as the next library as they have several libraries lined up to develop probably stretching at least 2 years in advance so instead of focusing all energy into the new one with minimal bug fixing on previous, they now have to split efforts into adding in a new, difficult feature. That is going to take time.

Top Bottom