What's new

Embertone Releases: Walker 1955 Steinway 'D'

Make sure you set Dropout Protection to minimum in Studio One, it causes more problems than it helps. And yes, sus pedal set to ECO is definitely the way to go for composing and HQ+ for mixdown.

That's interesting. I just discovered the feature in Studio One. How does it cause problems?

gfd

Hey EgM,

I didn't do anything with the dropout protection. Just set my sample size. Thanks for the warning though.

gfd

So here's where it's at. Qualification: this is in the standalone app.

There is a setting in instrument options called DFD (direct from disk). There is 32GB of memory available in my system. If you are memory limited, you may wish to give this a pass. I opened the instrument's options and selected DFD. The default setting resulted in about 1.6GB of memory being occupied by the library. I moved the slider all the way to the right. Once that was processed, the memory usage increased to ~ 6.6GB. Based on the excellent advice of others, the 1/2 pedalling setting was changed to ECO.

I sat on the sustain pedal and did several glissandos, up and down, with as many keys depressed as my short arms could manage. The CPU maxed out at about 20%. Setting the 1/2 pedal to HQ resulted in about 35% max and a bit of a glitch when I came off the keys/pedal.

Unlike Garritan, which allows you to allocate RAM to the instrument in the Aria player, there is no way of directly doing so in Kontakt player. That's the message you get in the player, when you hover over the memory use number. Using DFD is the workaround.

There is a setting in Global options to override the instrument's preload buffer size (DFD). I would stay away from that, as it would act on all loaded instruments, and potentially wallop the RAM.

This is it for now. I'm going to try this out in Studio One, which was the genesis (I still think it ended after Peter Gabriel left) for the issue, and Reaper as a control. I'll let you guys know how I make out .

gfd

Ran the instrument in Studio One. With one exception, which I'll mention shortly, Walker preformed quite well, with DFD set to 240 and 1/2 pedal set to ECO. The memory usage is 6.62GB. Unless I do what I noted below, the CPU usage is moderate, at about 5 to 10%.

Exception: if I sit on the sustain pedal and input notes without releasing, the CPU usage will slowly, but inexorably, increase. What I did was probably not going to happen in normal use. However, I do believe the library has an issue releasing samples when the sustain pedal is engaged.

I am in communication with Embertone about this. They have been quite helpful so far (I looked into DFD, based on their advice) amongst other things. I am going to run the library in Reaper to see if I get the same result. I'll let you guys know what happens.

If/when I get this sorted, I will advise Embertone and this forum. You guys have been great.

Thanks,
Graham

VladK

Concert D supports silent key and damper resonance (depressing sustain pedal after the key is released generates sound to mimic felts that did not completely mute the string yet), but sympathetic resonance is not implemented (play a silent key, do not release it, and playing staccato afterwards causes the 'open' string to vibrate).
"Sustain-Damper Sympathetic Resonance" term is incorrect and misleading: damper resonance is different from sympathetic resonance.
Can somebody confirm this?

Last edited:

rojarvi

Dismembered member
Howdy,

Breathing some new life to this thread as I recently bought Walker D and finally yesterday had some more time to test it. Few weeks back in my initial very short tests I found things are OK if I just have a single or max two mic positions running simultaenously, got some clicks but nothing serious. Was very much concentrated on how it sounds and played few seconds here and there and adjusted settings... Really enjoyed the generic sound and having multiple microphone positions to mix seemed like a great option to get some different character out of the instrument. So, had my expectations very high and was certain this is in my Top 3 pianos when I get to use it more extensively. Just so great sounding instrument.

But... Yesterday I finally had time to play more with it and started playing longer classical pieces. Had Hammer + Room loaded up with 18 layers (in Cubase) and started to play a classical piece with normal sustain pedal operation, you know, press and release in about every bar. And oh the horror when after a minute of playing things went totally ballistic. CPU meter was screaming at full 100% and could not hear anything but a buzzing sound. When I stopped playing the buzzing stopped and CPU meter slowly dropped back to low levels.

Repeated the same few times and started to fiddle around with the settings to see if there's something I could do. Dropped layers to 12, made sure half-pedalling was at Eco mode, unloaded some sample options like Staccato I was not using etc. Still the same. Removed the Hammer mic and played with just one mic position - still the same. I noticed @gfd mentioned his test of "sitting on sustain pedal" making the CPU load build up until things go nuclear. In my test I would say that you don't even have to keep the sustan pedal pressed down for an extended period to get the same effect! I cannot even play a normal classical piece with a single mic position if I operate the sustain pedal in normal manner. CPU meter keeps creeping up and finally as it hits 100% it's game over.

In Kontakt you can find the setting of "CPU overload protection" where it starts to kill off voices when CPU load is high. Using that option things do improve but are still not perfect - and I'm not sure if this is the way a Kontakt instrument is supposed to work: building up CPU load to such levels that Kontakt decides to go into damage control mode and start chopping heads off.

Is this something others besides me and @gfd have experienced? Anyone else have this even if you periodically release the sustain pedal? Is there any workaround for it? I didn't read through all this 40+ page thread and even if I had done it there must be comments based on older versions, which may not be valid anymore. I would think the computer I'm using is supposed to handle a single piano instrument, it's Core i7-6950x, 10 cores, running at 4.0 GHz in turbo, 64GB RAM, samples on SSD, RME Fireface 800 interface with no problems with other instruments. I also disabled Cubase multi-processing as it is really a broken feature causing nothing but trouble in live playing.

Really frustrated as this is sound-wise a truly great instrument but if I cannot play a single piece with it without stopping every minute for things to cool down it's not much of use to me. :emoji_fearful:

SupremeFist

Have you tried raising the max voice count to 512 and/or increasing buffer? If that doesn't help there may be Windows-specific settings to look at. (No problems when playing one mic at 33 velocities with heavy pedalling on my old system which was a lowly dual i5 Mac.)

rojarvi

Dismembered member
Yeah, I tried with 2000 max voice count - no effect and Kontakt reports only like 100-200 voices running. It could be Windows-only thing but I've done pretty much all latency etc tunings available (C states, hyper-threading etc.). To me it seems like there is some kind of pedaling bug in Walker which keeps cumulating CPU load over time.

Good point about Mac - I also have a i5 Mac Mini available to test this on if I go through the trouble of installing it there. Maybe worth a shot even if it wouldn't be possible to start using all the other stuff on that tiny Mac. Thanks!

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Yeah, I tried with 2000 max voice count - no effect and Kontakt reports only like 100-200 voices running. It could be Windows-only thing but I've done pretty much all latency etc tunings available (C states, hyper-threading etc.). To me it seems like there is some kind of pedaling bug in Walker which keeps cumulating CPU load over time.

Good point about Mac - I also have a i5 Mac Mini available to test this on if I go through the trouble of installing it there. Maybe worth a shot even if it wouldn't be possible to start using all the other stuff on that tiny Mac. Thanks!
Sorry to hear of your problems - that's very frustrating. From what I've read in various forums, it seems that the Walker D behaves better on Mac computers. I run the full 36 velocity patch with 2 mic sets (Hammer & Room) in Logic X Pro on an old 2009/2010 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad core with 20GB ram without any problems or drop outs, and that is with dense playing & pedalling.

Last edited:

gfd

Not sure how to work around other than to use less damper pedal (good luck!). Embertone say they are working on it. We'll see. They don't seem to engage their customers on forums. I don't blame them. They get flamed a lot. I won't use the library again until it is fixed. Too bad...I love the sound of that piano.

Top Bottom