Embertone Releases: Walker 1955 Steinway 'D'

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Embertone, Jun 14, 2018.

1. motomotomoto

motomotomoto New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    To be honest I think I like the main mics most, but I am curious which other mics would give me the greatest range of styles if I were to purchase a couple...

2. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I have binaural and room mics, of course the main as well...never used the main for anything, BUT...don't look at the sound as a single mic position, but more of a combination. With more mics, you have tons more sound options, and they ALL sound different...I personally love the binaural, with a bit of room, and slight main mics. Gives a nice full sound.

Jonas Hallstrom and Per Lichtman like this.
  3. Per Lichtman

Per Lichtman Senior Member

Jan 22, 2010
    That’s essentially what I thought you meant.

Other than the room mic position, all the others can be mixed with each other. Room mic is the most different from the others - it’s the one best suited to use in an orchestral seating out of the group, by far.

Binaural gives you the most ambient tone out of the ones that can be mixed with Main/Full.

In other words, by being the most different from your favorite mic position, they give you the most additional stylistic options.

That doesn’t mean that they are the ones that necessarily make the most sense for you personally, though. Instead you could work to fill in with similar compatible colors.

Main/Close/Wide is one blend option.

Main/Hammer/Wide another alternative.

Or if you don’t want the extra width and just want as much control over the close tone as possible: Main/Hammer/Close.

It’s mainly a question of whether you really want to cater to drastically different styles (in which case my first two suggestions remain) or work with closely related styles. Adding close or hammer can definitely help you add some definition when mixing the piano up-front.

There’s no “wrong” choice, so you should be fine whatever you pick.

Jonas Hallstrom likes this.
  4. Per Lichtman

Jan 22, 2010
    While my personal preference is to use binaural when mixing with other mic positions or room on its own (due to the difference in LR imaging), I completely agree with jaketanner about how most of the mics contribute the most when mixed. Also, it seems like both jaketanner and I like getting some of that more ambient miking in there when possible. :)

5. motomotomoto

motomotomoto New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    I have Una Chorda which I find quite nice for ambient type tones so I'm looking for a more Jazz sounding piano, something like Piano in Blue... Which mic's which would recommend picking up for that?

6. Per Lichtman

Jan 22, 2010
    Close, hammer and wide are the most relevant ones. Close and hammer if you want the most control over exactly which up-front detail frequencies to bring out, or wide if you want the piano to sound a little bigger/wider without going ambient.

Again, there’s a mic comparison SoundCloud player on their product page at Embertone that’s helpful in terms of making the final decision.

7. motomotomoto

motomotomoto New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    I appreciate the thoughts! I have listened to the demos, but it's hard for me to imagine them blending together, so thanks for the advice.

8. NeonMediaKJT

NeonMediaKJT Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Hi,

I bought the Lite version on sale and have had lots of difficulties getting it to work. Initially, the Connect app kept crashing on install, so I had to manually unpack the zip files and structure them myself following a guide from Embertone Support.
    I kept getting missing file errors and so I was eventually sent manual download links. I replaced the files with the manually downloaded ones and now no longer get missing file errors. But now the samples don't play properly. I can only get a sound from it if I play with the sustain pedal on and in Staccato mode. Playing the normal notes only gives me sound at specific velocities.

Support have been giving me some troubleshooting tips, but none have worked. I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've been talking to some others with similar issues on Facebook.

I thought it might be worth asking here, in case any of you guys experienced these issues?

9. OP
    OP
    Embertone

Embertone Senior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    We're having lots of download issues right now, and Stu @continuata has identified some of the problem: we used ZIP files instead of RAR, and it is messing the process up on certain Windows Machines.

As for your current problem -- it sounds very, very strange. If the instrument loads, and your MIDI Controller is functioning properly, you should be getting different results. I'm assuming that you have a ticket going with us... can you PM me your ticket number? I'd like to take a look at this odd behavior. Thanks!

-Alex

10. NeonMediaKJT

NeonMediaKJT Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Hi Alex,

Basically, when I had these missing file errors, I was able to skip locating these files when Kontakt asked me to and was able to play some notes only at specific velocities. I have the same issue now after I've replaced the files with the manually downloaded ones, except now Kontakt doesn't tell me I have files missing. Does that make sense? According to Kontakt, I had 527 files missing.

I am currently emailing back and forth with a member of the support team. I'll PM you my ticket number. Thanks!

11. OP
    OP
    Embertone

Embertone Senior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    OK, let's connect about it.

12. JeffvR

JeffvR Senior Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Does anyone have the same problem? 1 instance of the Walker 1955 loaded with 1 mic position. Crackles and pops when I play "too many" notes. W10 and C10, the real time performance goes through the roof with a buffer size of 256. I don't have issues with other libraries.

puremusic likes this.
  13. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    Have you tried upping the Max Voice count in Kontakt? To 250-ish.

14. JeffvR

JeffvR Senior Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Yes, no difference.. Also changing the amount of velocity layers doesn't do anything. At 512 buffer it get's a little bit better but still not without issues. Embertone is directing me to some general page to optimize Kontakt, I know that stuff already. I can play full orchestras without issues but one piano is bringing my computer to it's knees.

puremusic and SoNowWhat? like this.
  15. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    It is resource intensive with the full edition. But it’s something I’ll live with for the sound and sensation. I hope you find some solution. Please post back if you find anything.

16. ag75

ag75 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Nantucket
    Thanks for this. I was having the same issue and this fixed it. Thanks for the tip!

17. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I tried a piece started with the Walker, and not adapted from other samples. This is Close+Main+Room mics, with the Logic Multipressor (soft limiter) as the only added effect. Unfortunately, the MP3 keeps away a lot of the finer details.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    SoNowWhat? and OleJoergensen like this.
  18. Gerbil

Gerbil Senior Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I remember listening to that piece on the Garritan CFX and being impressed by how the piano dips right down into pianissimo convincingly. I think it was one of the demos that led me to buy it.

I'd really like to hear it performed on the new VSL Steinway.

19. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi
    I have a couple of questions about the Walker 1955 Lite install on a mac.

After the Connect install,I see 2 folders:

_OSX
    and
    Walker 1955 Steinway concert D

should I create a Walker 1955 folder and put these both inside the folder?

Also should I rename
    Walker 1955 Steinway D.nicnt" to "Walker 1955 Concert D.nicnt in both the _OSX folder and the Walker !955 folder?

Thanks
    KG

20. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Thank you for helping me notice that my dynamics were a bit to high! I've expanded them, to have both a forte and a pianissimo.

Paolo