Embertone Releases: Walker 1955 Steinway 'D'

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Embertone, Jun 14, 2018.

1. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Today I put the piano into a cheesy business jingle I made.
    Brightened the top end considerably with EQ, I think it works!

Attached Files:

SoNowWhat? and jonathanparham like this.
  2. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Cheers!

3. scherzo75

scherzo75 New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Hello,
    I love the Embertone 1955 Steinway sound. I'm about to buy a Kawai Novus 10 (digital piano that has an acoustic grand mecanism, including the dampers, controlled by the sustaining pedal), and would like to use it with quality samples.
    I'm considering buying the whole Embertone package, but I really need the partial pedalling function (also called half-pedalling or fractional pedalling), otherwise the sophisticated damper system of the Kawai would be reduced to a baby piano with on/off sustain.
    On the one hand you can loose notes that should be sustained, as SGord clearly showed it very clearly (no-go)
    but the pedal is the base of classical piano as the video

shows it.
    I'm sure you'll finally manage to implement this, as Garritan managed it
    thank you for the enormous work, you'll change the life of many pianists :)

ptram and Leo like this.
  4. HardyP

HardyP Senior Member

Jun 30, 2013
    LDK
    Yeah, it´s really strange, embertone was one of my favourite devs, because they had an outstanding reputation in terms of living products, communication, keeping promises (or at least proactively explaining that and why there´s a delay), and so on. I´m not talking about some days here, the first update (+ manual*) was said to come in July...
    Hope they can "come back to the roots" some day :sad:.

(*) BTW, even the link from the documentation folder to the manual does not work any longer... I understand, that they had licensing/naming issues, but at least a redirect should be possible I think...

5. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I'm awaiting with great hope the half-pedal, repedallng and "reaction" fixes. The sound of this piano is fantastic, and it would be a shame if it is not finished.

At the same time, VSL has never added half-pedaling to their otherwise fantastic Vienna Imperial, so everything may happen...

Paolo

6. Funkybot

Funkybot Member

Jun 24, 2018
    They mentioned recently that one small (I think that's the word they used) new feature was very time-consuming and holding up the release. Made me think at the time, "well, if it's small (which I read as 'low impact, high effort') then why bother?" At work, we call that scope-creep. The alternative could've been, release the fixes for linking of microphone positions and half-pedalling now and put whatever small new feature in later. I wonder, if in hindsight, they don't regret that.

Anyway, I'm sure they're still working on an update and it's just taking them much longer than anticipated. Especially if they're doing any sample-editing, which is tedious and insanely time-consuming. If someone's really concerned, you can always email them and ask for a more detailed status update since they no longer seem to be monitoring this thread.

For now, the software works. Understandable that owner's would want it to be even better, but it didn't get any worse since you bought it. I'm still quite happy with it. And remember: you never buy software based on promises about what it will do in the future. You're just asking to be disappointed if you do. So I wait patiently...

7. slobajudge

slobajudge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2016
    The software works but it has problems they need to fix. I hope that we all want full piano that is working as piano and not some half working instrument. There are too many defective vst pianos in the market. We already talk about problems earlier in this thread and its not just half pedal. At the moment piano is hard to control without problems in fast passages in classical music with small nuances in dynamic changes and very close to be unusable for full controlling sustain and repedaling. The truth is, if update fix problems Emberton will be among three best pianos on the market. For me number one. If they not, well we already saw that many times.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    Fleer, chasmanian, scherzo75 and 2 others like this.
  8. styledelk

styledelk Member

Dec 22, 2017
    So I went ahead and bought this a few weeks ago, and I run it through my Kawai CA95. Once I learned to play against the lack of half-pedaling, it got better, but it's definitely a sore spot.

That said: it responds pretty amazingly to the Kawai action, and piping it back through the soundboard on it produces a very natural sound. I feel like by default the high-end is a little too overpowering, but I haven't played a real piano in years, so maybe that's just how a Steinway feels.

Looking forward to the improvements.

scherzo75 likes this.
  9. jneebz

jneebz Senior Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Portland OR, USA
    @Embertone rocks. Never doubted the commitment to their customers, and won’t start now...software development is just freaking unpredictable. Update will be fantastic, looking forward to it.

Fleer likes this.
  10. slobajudge

slobajudge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2016
    I hope it will, I really love and need that piano

chasmanian likes this.
  11. chapbot

chapbot omnivore

Feb 7, 2017
    I have been amused at the constant bellyaching about half pedaling on these forums. Literally nobody cares about half pedaling except a few purists. I have taken piano lessons my entire life and was a piano proficiency in college. Never one time have I ever used half pedaling for any practice or recital. I have been recording and producing music for the past 20 years and never once have found any need for half peddling in any tracks I have produced. If you're wondering why Embertone is dragging their feet on implementing half pedaling this is probably the reason.

If you must have half pedaling may I suggest the new Concert Grand from Production Voices - I just got the Gold version and it is spectacular:

https://www.productionvoices.com/concert-grand-2/

I own the Embertone and it is also spectacular - these two are my main pianos and I would use them for different styles.

Per Lichtman and Akarin like this.
  12. Leo

Leo Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    indeed this embertone piano sounds beautifully, but I'm broke.
    This year again I spend maybe 6.5-7.000 eur for this expensive little toys,
    and I almost believed that I had everything...
    and then I hear this piano, damn

13. SGordB

SGordB Senior Member

It’s not about “purity” for me. It’s about functionality. The ability to feather in a touch of sustain rather than a bucketload is a fixture of my technique.

OleJoergensen, ptram and slobajudge like this.
  14. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I don't want to judge teaching methods or playing styles, but I can't imagine a piano teacher asking to only completely press down or immediately fully release the pedal. "Too much pedal here!" was a common refrain I had to listen from my piano teachers, seen my propension to use too much of it...

Paolo

SGordB likes this.
  15. al_net77

al_net77 Senior Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    Not only the sustain, but also the soft (una corda) pedal is commonly used NOT on/off by professionals. I'm speaking in acoustic pianos, honestly I don't know if any VST supports continuous pedalling on una corda (apart from Pianoteq).
    I've recorded several MIDI performance of some concert players and both the pedals tracks were used as above.

ptram likes this.
  16. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    We've all been getting by without it for a long time with sampled pianos, but half pedaling is really an integral part of playing the instrument. We all do it all the time while playing (on real instruments), without having ever learned it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 3:22 AM
    ptram and SGordB like this.
  17. Ninth Lion

Ninth Lion Member

May 26, 2018
    Whether we consciously realise it or not...

Interesting way of looking at it.

18. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    It's probably the least expensive piano, if you only choose the base main mics. The additional mics are great to have, but you can get all you need even without them.

Paolo

Leo likes this.
  19. Iskra

Iskra Senior Member

Apr 27, 2016
    If you define 'purists' as classical and jazz advanced players, then yes, we care about half pedaling. But we are not what I would call 'literally nobody', as you can clearly deduct from the posts of all the purists in this very thread.

Half pedaling and repedaling is a feature that is present on almost every good digital piano from the past 15 years, and every manufacturer try to improve it on each new model. You never wondered why Yamaha or Kawai put that much effort in getting it right? You think that investment of money and time is to make 'literally nobody' happy? ;)

styledelk and ptram like this.
  20. Fleer

Fleer No Method

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Embertone Walker definitely is the best sampled Steinway I have, among too many.

SoNowWhat? likes this.