What's new

Embertone - 40 to 60% off "EVERYTHING"

I've started building my collection of 3rd party Kontakt libraries back in 2014. by buying "Shire Whistle" and "Sensual Sax". I have almost all of Embertone's more affordable titles, particularly the winds. I'm still thinking whether to pick "Popelka Basson" or not though. It is a beautiful expressive instrument for sure (like most of their titles), but not sure how often would I use it. The BF price is most tempting, though. ;)

I've just purchased "Simple Cello" by Fluffy Audio the other day and I'm very happy with the library. I already had their "Simple Violin" and I'm finding both libraries a fine alternative to Artisan solo strings from Spitfire when I need a more lyrical tone. Feature-wise, "Simple Violin" is a bit limited in scope but still sounds wonderful.
Do you happen to have the Blakus Cello for comparison?
On the official walkthrough it seemed to have a lot of features not present in Simple Cello.

Do you happen to have the Blakus Cello for comparison?
On the official walkthrough it seemed to have a lot of features not present in Simple Cello.
No, I don't have any of Embertone's strings. In the past, I've thought about getting "Friedlander Violin" and "Blakus Cello", but after getting the Artisan strings I didn't feel the need.

There is generally very little info on "Simple Cello" online. Feature-wise, Blakus has more articulations while "Simple Cello" only has true legato, sustain, and staccato. It doesn't feature portamento but it has a controllable vibrato. Also, from what I've heard, Blakus seems to have a more raw and aggressive tone. For my needs, Fluffy Audio solo strings seem like a better alternative to mentioned Spitfire ones.

Last edited:
Just bought Joshua bell essential. Really love the playability. But I find it sounded a bit weird when trying to increase vibrato using different controls. When vibrato increases it sounds like the first vibrato layer is still present and they stack up, making it sound a bit synthy and phasy? Right now I instead just use the dynamic control for volume but for the romantic long lines I want the vibrato. It sounds really good when it does the vibrato by it self, by using intuition on. Is there a way to make it have that vibrato all the time but not using the vibrato fader?

Just bought Joshua bell essential. Really love the playability. But I find it sounded a bit weird when trying to increase vibrato using different controls. When vibrato increases it sounds like the first vibrato layer is still present and they stack up, making it sound a bit synthy and phasy? Right now I instead just use the dynamic control for volume but for the romantic long lines I want the vibrato. It sounds really good when it does the vibrato by it self, by using intuition on. Is there a way to make it have that vibrato all the time but not using the vibrato fader?
This is one main reason why I just upgraded to the full version.
The only way I could find I could get the vibrato to sound natural was to set the CC value
to what I considered a sweet spot, but I found this would only work when disabling the Intuition.

The Full version has more tweaking options.
I haven't tried using it yet in a composition, but expect it will be a lot easier to use.

There might be another way to get Essential to work for your needs though.
Perhaps ask Embertone?

I bought the Essential early this year and have been waiting for the BF sale to upgrade.
I found Essential frustrating to work with, due to the limitations.
It would be worth watching a walkthrough of the full version to see if you would benefit from
the upgrade.
The sale ends on 3rd December.

Just got myself another little haul from this sale. Happy to find that Herring Clarinet is every bit as wonderfully playable and gorgeous as my beloved Popelka!

I got Jubal and Body perc too, both really nice from my first quick playthrough.

Dang, I can't believe I never checked out Embertone before tonight (I always just heard of them in association with the JB violin, and I already like my Bohemian Violin well enough).

What a delightful company! I eagerly snarfed up a bunch of their freebies, was delighted to grab a bunch of their lovely and super-inexpensive woodwinds (despite having Infinite Woodwinds), and... then realized that even Embertone's policies rock: a 7 day return window, free instrument transfers (for personal sales), and so on. If only other VI companies were as accommodating.

Not to mention the smile-inducing cheekiness of their product descriptions :D

Anyway, thanks y'all for bringing this company (and their sale) to my attention! Can't wait to play with the new goodies this weekend!

I bought the Essential early this year and have been waiting for the BF sale to upgrade.
I found Essential frustrating to work with, due to the limitations.
It would be worth watching a walkthrough of the full version to see if you would benefit from
the upgrade.
The sale ends on 3rd December.
After having played with it more I starting to learn how it works . It seems to me it does not crossfade between velocity layers? When playing Piano dynamic and raising the dynamic fader it seems to just turn up the volume. When I play a note in forte after the tone is much more delicate, a bit more muddy with the fader movement. Is this the case in the standard edition as well?

Dang, I can't believe I never checked out Embertone before tonight (I always just heard of them in association with the JB violin, and I already like my Bohemian Violin well enough).

What a delightful company! I eagerly snarfed up a bunch of their freebies, was delighted to grab a bunch of their lovely and super-inexpensive woodwinds (despite having Infinite Woodwinds), and... then realized that even Embertone's policies rock: a 7 day return window, free instrument transfers (for personal sales), and so on. If only other VI companies were as accommodating.

Not to mention the smile-inducing cheekiness of their product descriptions :D

Anyway, thanks y'all for bringing this company (and their sale) to my attention! Can't wait to play with the new goodies this weekend!
Did you get the Popelka Bassoon and Herring Clarinet? Both outstanding!

Did you get the Popelka Bassoon and Herring Clarinet? Both outstanding!
Oh yes, and a whole bunch of other Embertone libraries as well! Have only played with the bassoon this evening, but am super-excited to play with more this weekend. Darn work getting in the way of my (hobbyist) music'ing!

And Liquidlino, that's a really great point. Heh, dang, now I'm thinking of buying even more Embertone tracks!
(for the record, a few months back, I wrote a company that rhymes with Splitmire and respectfully expressed disappointment in their no-trials, no-moneyback-guarantee, no-resale philosophy and politely noted that I'd buy less from them as a result. I received a kind but also-disappointing reply, explaining that they had to do what they had to do given piracy, technical limitations, blah blah blah. I trust their sincerity, but am disappointed in their... shortsightedness and lack of engenuity in this area)

After some pondering and trying not to give in to my strict discipline regarding new purchases, I've added "Popelka Bassoon" to my collection of Embertone libraries. It seems I've jumped on the very last train - they've just removed the BF banner while I went through the transaction!

Looking forward to trying out the new library. The mix between quality sound, playability, expressiveness, and affordable price is what had led me to Embertone back in 2014. I have the majority of their wind instruments plus a few others.

After having played with it more I starting to learn how it works . It seems to me it does not crossfade between velocity layers? When playing Piano dynamic and raising the dynamic fader it seems to just turn up the volume. When I play a note in forte after the tone is much more delicate, a bit more muddy with the fader movement. Is this the case in the standard edition as well?
By default mod wheel controls vibrato. If u want to control dynamics with mod wheel instead of playing dynamics, u can switch control modes. There are many to choose from. Try "master mod wheel".

After playing some more what sounds best to me is to use the volume, cc7, for crescendo and diminuendo on the essential, rather than the dynamic fader as it just raises the volume of the current dynamic layer

Top Bottom