What's new

Email alert: Save Big on HALion 6 and Groove Agent 5! HALion 7 Looming???

The sample library that comes with it seemingly isn't going to be of that much interest for orchestral realism.
But can you easily use all the samples in the 40GB library as sources for your own hybrid sound design patches?
The combination of all the features it offers mixed together is what gas, I mean has, me interested; genuine slip of the keyboard there. :)

Assuming you have other Synth/Samplers as well what do you find Halion excels at?

Yes, I have way too many of those things (Kontakt, Falcon, Omnisphere, VPS Avenger, the complete U-he range and the list goes on...)

Halion is a bit my worktool for creating new stuff for my products and compositions. The feature I find the most usefull is the live sampling, easy to record from any source that I use. Beside that you can easily go the wavetable route or granular etc and it has a nice range of effects (though I find Falcon superiour on that).

Dang it, no competitive cross-grade price for MSoundFactory owners. :)

Seriously, at $175, I'm thinking, maybe I should just go whole-hog for Omnisphere or Falcon, which seem to have more of a community about them.

Dang it, no competitive cross-grade price for MSoundFactory owners. :)

Seriously, at $175, I'm thinking, maybe I should just go whole-hog for Omnisphere or Falcon, which seem to have more of a community about them.

I think at that price just get Omnisphere...are you buying it because you want it or because it’s cheap...?

I think at that price just get Omnisphere...are you buying it because you want it or because it’s cheap...?
Oh, I was meaning the Halion price at $175, vs. the higher prices of the other two--but paying more for them maybe makes sense given that there is a community with them--a lot being done with them.

I was mainly thinking of making customized devices and learning from others. I can already learn that with Max for Live (Ableton), but so far it is just not appealing.

MSoundFactory has MXXX in it, and I got a chance to check that out, but MXXX is super pricey. I can make devices in MSF, but I feel like its sound is not so good. Still, they have a nice community and have made some cool devices.

I don't have Reaktor, but I had been considering getting Komplete 12 when the summer sale comes (still more than Omnisphere and Falcon). If Halion were $125 for me, I think I'd jump on it, relative to the other prices, and hope for a good DIY experience (and if not, console myself with its content).

Halion 7?!

Is this really a thing?

I mean, what else could they possibly add that it doesn't do already?

Saw somebody point out elsewhere that it doesn't do FM synthesis and physical modeling. I'd welcome a convolution reverb for sound design purposes.

Synth Zone seems low on features relative so synths I own (I get that they might have intended it more to just complement the other zone options).

The sample and granular zones could maybe have more features?

One thing I would love to see is a spectral image aspect where one could pick sections of spectral images (like in Iris 2 or Steinberg's own Spectral Layers software) to use/manipulate/automate. It would be cool if it worked both with sample and granular zones.

Maybe they just improve effects, workflow things, instrument design options.

The sample library that comes with it seemingly isn't going to be of that much interest for orchestral realism.
But can you easily use all the samples in the 40GB library as sources for your own hybrid sound design patches?
The combination of all the features it offers mixed together is what gas, I mean has, me interested; genuine slip of the keyboard there. :)

My biggest disappointment with the purchase was in realizing that I did not have direct access to the samples included with Halion 6. I had thought that I would be able to create my own instruments in Halion, using these samples. But they are only accessed via the given Halion 6 instruments/presets.

Top Bottom