What's new

Email addresses accepted by the forum

DavidY

(Posting over here so as not to clutter up CreativeForge's newbie thread.)

Dear Newbie,

In case you wonder why you did not receive a notification email that your registration is activated, let me direct your attention to the registration page again. Especially this:

8282328c5b1084fe27300b3333ea4b75.png

In other words, make sure you use a proper email provider, and not one that has been blacklisted so much over the years that they are now overlooked by the forum's software. When that is fixed, you will automatically receive your activation email.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Andre
VIC Tech support
I must admit I was surprised that email addresses such as Outlook.com are still an issue?

I have an Outlook email address (obviously not the one I use to login here) and it's hard to tell the difference from the "proper" Office 365 email which my employer provides for my day job. So I thought they were more respectable these days?

Ages ago I signed up with an ISP-provided email address, but it isn't very good and I often think outlook etc. would be a good alternative, and I'm sure many other people have these as their only address.

Obviously I don't see the bad stuff which happens behind the scenes of the forum (and I can see you might not want to post details here either), but I was just surprised that these addresses are still a problem?

Hi, since Hotmail is now MSN, Live, Outlook, no matter which country it is used in, everything associated with them is still wearing the odious of Hotmail's rampant spammers. The same goes for Yahoo, and to some extent AOL. Note that this isn't done manually with each address, it is automatically applied by anti-spam measures that are part of the forum software.

Now, people CAN use them for the forum, and receive notifications, but for the registration it is blocked.

Hope it helps,

Andre

That shouldn't be. Hopefully that can be fixed soon.

"Now, people CAN use them for the forum, and receive notifications, but for the registration it is blocked." This is part of protecting the forum from spamming emails. MOST of these are flagged by spamming filters, which are used to determine if an email address, IP or nickname have been flagged in the past.

Thanks for the replies.

So if I ever wanted to ditch my ISP email address, having already registered, I guess I could PM someone to get it moved across to an outlook email address (or whatever)?

Thanks for the replies.

So if I ever wanted to ditch my ISP email address, having already registered, I guess I could PM someone to get it moved across to an outlook email address (or whatever)?

Hi David, if you want to do this your ISP should not matter since you are already registered.

Apart from Gmail, I think you might have just listed the 5 biggest mail providers.
There must be a better way.
Like a spam patrol unit. I'll take first shift...

It is all done automatically, no human involvement, not even a policy. It is part of the antispam features of the forum software. I'm looking into finding a different way.

Following research, I may have been wrongly attributing this filtering to the forum software.

And it's not an "option" that's turned on or off. It usually will have to do with the reputation of a domain. If enough people have marked their Vi-Control emails as spam, it would be noted on a blacklist. Using a transactional email API service like Mailgun should take care of this kind of thing, so it's a matter of finding the right settings.

However, Hotmail and Yahoo have long been the favorites of massive spamming. It's possible this plays a role in this quirky affair. I checked our server's IP address and our domain name against official lists, and they are not showing as blacklisted. I've contacted our API service to look into this. We also have alternatives. It is indeed a bother.

A million apologies for those affected...

As of now, it looks like you can use a Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., email address to register. I'll remove that note on the registration page and we'll monitor the situation as we go.

Thanks all for your patience!

Andre

Last edited:
As of now, it looks like you can use your Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., email address to register. I'll remove that note on the registration page and we'll monitor the situation as we go.

Thanks all for your patience!

Andre
Thanks for your efforts on this. :)
I feel my question has caused you work when you could perhaps have been making music or something, so apologies for that.

Not at all, David, we needed to fix this one way or another. I'm glad it's behind us now, just need a few more registrations to confirm it's all systems go. :)

It's my job to provide tech support, and I'm happy to do it. I'm sadly not a professional musician, like many here...

Thank you for the note, but no need to apologize. :)

Regards,

Andre

Top Bottom