What's new

EIS range limit

FatPablo

Hello EISers,

I'm currently studying EIS out of curiosity and to see what it has to offer. I'm a bit confused on this octave range limit that is mentioned in Book 1 Lesson 1.

In the very first assignment, C ascending in E4, if you start C major at the lowest C below the bass clef (C1), would it be alright to start the 4th chord at Eb2?

I just can't figure out if the range limit is supposed to be from the very first chord or only from the preceding chord.

The range limit is for each individual chord.

The purpose of the range limit is to keep chords from going too low and sounding muddy. When the third (or 10th), 7th or other "second octave" tones get too low, they simply don't sound good.

Hello EISers,

I'm currently studying EIS out of curiosity and to see what it has to offer. I'm a bit confused on this octave range limit that is mentioned in Book 1 Lesson 1.

In the very first assignment, C ascending in E4, if you start C major at the lowest C below the bass clef (C1), would it be alright to start the 4th chord at Eb2?

I just can't figure out if the range limit is supposed to be from the very first chord or only from the preceding chord.

Check out the bottom of page 4. It tells you the range of the lowest (I.E. Bass) note.

Also, my instructor told me this: "The Bass note is always between C below Middle C (highest bass note), and the C below that." Use that as your bass note range, and you'l be building chords up properly in EIS.

As the above post said, it's to keep the resonance and clarity of the orchestration solid. I hope this helps!

Mike

Sorry, I meant E5.

Thank yous

Ah, yes! Okay, then, you'll "flip" the E motion to stay between C1 and C2.

So, your bass progression would be:

C1 - E5 ascent to F1
F1 - E5 Ascent to Bb1
Bb1 - P5 DESCENT (opposite of E5 ascent) down to Eb1.

That way, you're always in the bass range with your bass note.

Craig/Jim/other teachers, can you confirm that I'm saying that correctly? I don't want to mislead.

Thanks!

Mike

So even if you start on G ascending, the range for the bass note would still be C1-C2?

Top Bottom