What's new

EIS piece, inspired by B. Hermann's Space Mystery style music

Farkle

Hi, all!

So, those Bernard Hermann clips got me all excited, and I wanted to try my hand at one. This is a Monday Morning Speed Writing thing.

I took the idea of "planetarium background music", you know, the type of music you would hear, as the dark space stars beamed up on the planetarium, and Leonard Nimoy would say something like "Space: Infinite, and Mysterious". :)

I took Book 11 and ran with it. PDF sketch and semi-final mockup below:

PDF Sketch: https://app.box.com/s/dzltwh4cu9r4qeigsy9r

Mockup: https://app.box.com/s/bfoso8w3iwas55b4jfwk

Took my starting point the "Whole Tone" vibe, run through EIS structures. Chose an E4 structure in the top two voices, then made a one bar pattern, E1 Down, E3 Up, E1 down. Took the bottom treble voice and did contrary motion (E1 up, E3, down, etc.).

Once I had that, the cue just started running. Changed some orchestral colors, moved the pattern up E4... it's very easy to make these quick emotional cues this way.

The mockup is decent, I need to mix the winds better. That's Cinewinds, LASS, and, Cineharp and Spitfire Celeste.

LASS is nicely beefy down low!

Anyways, my speed writing for the day. I hope you all like it! Feedback and comments are welcome!

Mike

jsaras

Hi Mike, I enjoyed that a lot. I think the piece would be more effective overall if there were some some parts/instrumentation added that helped to disguise the "now it's woodwinds", "now it's strings" dialogue. Maybe a figure on the harp in that comes in right at the end of one section and carries into the next bar a bit. Repeat again with another figure with vibes or marimba. Does that make sense?

J

dgburns

Leg Ahh toe / Shpeig haw too
I think that's a good idea, btw liked the piece...you know me, I like 3 things going on most of the time.

Walter Murch talks about humans being able to follow 2 1/2 things at any time.Pretty sure he talks about that in his book "in the blink of an eye". I guess great minds think alike.

MikeH

Well, if he's going for a straight-up Herrmann I think he pretty much nailed it. The passing of the 'cell' around the orchestra, highlighting and isolating the individual instrument choirs was very common. I'm looking at the score to Journey to the Center of the Earth and it's chock full of this. Nice job!

OP
Farkle

Farkle

Hi, all!

Thank you for the comments, and the excellent feedback/ideas on how to kick this piece up one notch. Craig and Jonas, I agree with your suggestions, thank you! I'm going to try to transition between the colors using the harp, maybe a (gasp!) cymbal wash... heh heh, :twisted:

MikeH, you are right, I originally did this piece as a straight up Hermann style; trying to get into his arranging DNA. But now, I think I can take this piece and "modernize" it a bit, make it a bit more fluid. I'm working on a production library CD of "space style" music, so this (with some tweaks) would sit really well in it.

Thank you all again for the suggestions and feedback. Off to tweak!

Mike

Top Bottom