What's new

EIS arrangement of a video game tune, for the UArts Video Game Concert this Friday

Farkle

Hi, all!

So, you may know, I put together a Video Game "reimagined" concert this Friday (Nov. 8), at University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Basically, we're taking VG tunes, and re-interpreting them (Halo theme for big band, etc.).

I am lucky, I have a virtuoso pianist on faculty who loves VG music, and she asked me to arrange the Castlevania tune "Marble Gallery" for her.

Here is the original tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLOcT25ph9k

I had just finished book 6 in EIS, so I took it, and went wild with it. There is EIS stuff all over the place here: Polytonality, Harmony in Thirds and Fourths, Diatonic Progressions through Inversions, Equal Interval Progressions. I had a TON of fun writing this!

I've attached links to the Sibelius audio dump, which sounds awful, and the chart (which is not cleaned up AT ALL, btw). The audio dump is mechanical, but this piece will be performed live, so I wasn't worried about a good mockup.

The chart is unformatted, and kind of gross, but the pianist said she could read it fine, and I had to get started on other charts for the concert, so it is what it is.

I think I did this chart in 3 afternoons, about 10 hours. Probably could have been faster, but I was flipping through the books, trying diff. stuff out. I hope that you enjoy the piece, and the EIS'ness!

Chart: https://app.box.com/s/3quu9pcls33bl2tq876v

Audio: https://app.box.com/s/8l12p527mwdzzquj7rdu

Any and all feedback is welcome (except about the notation, I know it's godawful). :)

Thanks!

Mike

Nathanael Iversen

I'm behind you at the tail end of book 2! My comment isn't particularly EIS related.

For me the piece gets going about 23-25 seconds in and then seems to continue and develop from there. The first bit up to that point doesn't seem connected to what comes later, but then I don't know the original music well. It just seems to wander about a bit and then get focused. If the piece just started with the descending lines I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Maybe it is just that the intro is too "out" at the start and could progress from familiar to to the more adventurous a bit later in the piece.

It should perform well, and will be a fun piece for your pianist friend. Congrats on the piece! It is a fun piece, and don't read too much into my comments. Just a first-listen opinion from the internet.

OP
Farkle

Farkle

I'm behind you at the tail end of book 2! My comment isn't particularly EIS related.

For me the piece gets going about 23-25 seconds in and then seems to continue and develop from there. The first bit up to that point doesn't seem connected to what comes later, but then I don't know the original music well. It just seems to wander about a bit and then get focused. If the piece just started with the descending lines I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Maybe it is just that the intro is too "out" at the start and could progress from familiar to to the more adventurous a bit later in the piece.

It should perform well, and will be a fun piece for your pianist friend. Congrats on the piece! It is a fun piece, and don't read too much into my comments. Just a first-listen opinion from the internet.

No, your comment is totally valid! I apologize, I forgot to clarify. The first 24 seconds is actually an arrangement from a second piece from the game, a slower piece called "Lost Painting". I wanted to do a little "reverie intro", before the slamming piano section, and I thought I would grab a second tune to use.

I'm feeling the same way you are, once 23 seconds hits is where I want to hear the piece. But I'm trying for some drama in the beginning... like, some soft, Ravel stuff to lull the audience into a false sense of security... ;)

Thank you for the comments!

Johnny42

Great work, Mike. Measures 90 to 94 remind me a little bit of Liszt. I hope you'll be able to post the live version.

OP
Farkle

Farkle

Great work, Mike. Measures 90 to 94 remind me a little bit of Liszt. I hope you'll be able to post the live version.

Ask and ye shall receive!!

Here's the archived concert on Livestream. The piano piece is at 04:40 (4 hours, 40 minutes).

http://new.livestream.com/uartscaplan/events/2358937

I don't know why the stream has all these concerts in front of it, but you can just click to the 4:40 mark, and she starts a minute later. She CRUSHED the piece! :)

I hope you enjoy! I loved hearing this!

Mike

Top Bottom