What's new

Edit multiple automations at the same time in Logic

BassClef

Inside Logic's lower piano roll window, I often have multiple automations for a region. Frequently two of those are cc1 dynamics and cc11 expression. And frequently I want to maintain the curves but "lower" them by the same amount. Is there a way to do that. I am currently editing each cc separately. Thanks...

You can use the Event list editing which allows you to change the values of different CC# definitions (you can use the Piano Roll or Main Window multi lane MIDI definitions view for CC selection).
The other alternative is the MIDI Transform editor.

You can edit multiple automations in the main timeline window. Just make sure the tracks are set to region

The other alternative is the MIDI Transform editor.
Interesting, so I guess the way to do this would be select the regions you want to edit and hit "Select and Operate" on the MIDI Transform window?

Thanks for the responses. Using the main area I can turn on automation, select a track, switch to region, and select a "used" automation. Then I can adjust the curves. but I do not see a way to select two automations at the same time, like modulation and expression. This is the same problem I have working in the lower piano roll area.

Thanks for the responses. Using the main area I can turn on automation, select a track, switch to region, and select a "used" automation. Then I can adjust the curves. but I do not see a way to select two automations at the same time, like modulation and expression. This is the same problem I have working in the lower piano roll area.

Here’s a video showing what I mean:

Is that what you are trying to achieve?

Edit:
Sorry I thought you meant to edit multiple tracks cc. To do what you want I simply edit one cc and copy the data to the other cc

Last edited:
Thanks STec... much appreciate your efforts, but not what I wanted. He is editing the same cc in multiple tracks. I want to edit multiple cc in the one track/region.

Interesting, so I guess the way to do this would be select the regions you want to edit and hit "Select and Operate" on the MIDI Transform window?
It is expected that you use other CC# definitions such as CC 17, 18 etc for controlling some specific instrument parameters.
In this case you need a "Condition Mapper" to process only CC1 & CC11.

I created a short MIDI Transform tutorial - watch the animated gif below.

process_cc1_cc11_only.gif

Wow... I'm impressed, and that's almost too complicated for me. I'm not sure what is actually happening under the hood, but I did manage to follow the yellow bouncing ball and create a new MIDI transform for future use. Now I can add or subtract to each curve at the same time.

Would one of the other functions (besides add and sub) be able to compress or expand the data range? That is... EXPAND by increasing the highest and decreasing the lowest or... COMPRESS by decreasing the highest and increasing the lowest.

THANKS!

Great... one other thing. My newly created "transform" type seems to be saved only to the Logic file I am working on. Can I have that so it's available in any file. Or will I have to recreate it for every file I'm woking on?

Great... one other thing. My newly created "transform" type seems to be saved only to the Logic file I am working on. Can I have that so it's available in any file. Or will I have to recreate it for every file I'm woking on?
In any Logic project: Choose File > Project Settings > Import Project Settings... then later choose "Transform sets."

It is expected that you use other CC# definitions such as CC 17, 18 etc for controlling some specific instrument parameters.
This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your invaluable knowledge once again :) Let's say you wanted to edit several different tracks at once, not just one track like in your example, you still have to have those regions selected and then hit the MIDI Transform command right?

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your invaluable knowledge once again :) Let's say you wanted to edit several different tracks at once, not just one track like in your example, you still have to have those regions selected and then hit the MIDI Transform command right?
Yes, the MIDI transform is the 'big gun" for simultaneous tracks/regions editing. You select as many regions you want and process them via a given Transform preset.

PS. The "Condition Mapper" trick I show in my video tutorial looks complicated at first glance, however it is a very powerful system which allows you to condition numerous event definition numbers very precisely. In my example I conditioned CC1 & CC11 to be processed only. You can add more CC#s (mapper value 127) end process several unique Control numbers without affecting the other Controller definitions.

I created a short MIDI Transform tutorial - watch the animated gif below.

process_cc1_cc11_only.gif
This was incredibly helpful, thank you! Is there also a way to create fade parabolas in this menu? Ie. automatically create the same expression + modulation fade parabola for multiple regions.

Agh... I feel like I'm getting closer with the cresc. function: select all events at 30 (or whatever) or less in the specified region (say, last bar of the phrase) cresc from 30 to 0. It's not quite getting to 0 though... they always end up at 2 or so. It might have something to do with the number of CC1 or CC11 events I have, I've tried manually adding more or less, but I would just like it to automatically draw the parabola defined. This means adding midi events (CC1 points) across a time span... I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I've also gotten close with the 'map' function, I can get it to select all midi events, but it still is a bit wacky. Anyone gotten deeper on this?

Top Bottom