*Edit* I made a mistake ...

Discussion in 'OFF-TOPICS - General Musings' started by FriFlo, Mar 13, 2019.

1. FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Well, I way under the impression that it was ok to criticize facebook, so, 3 days ago, I made a post, mentioning I had already bought my bike and it was pointless to show me further bicycle advertisements. I already had marked this ads as undesired, they were still showing up. I started my post with "F#§k you Facebook". Probably, that is a violation of their rules, although I did not spell out the F-word! But I have seen many times people use language in a similar way in little rant posts like that ...
    Now I am blocked to do any further postings there. Have you ever encountered something similar?
    Big brother is watching your I guess ... next thing, Apple will not forward any mails from me complaining how bad Apple has become ...

2. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    yeah Facebook. Move on, man. Don´t spent a second of thoughts on fb. My tip: Just delete your personal account. I did it 4 years ago. When you realize that you don´t need facebook for organizing friends and contacts, then this is a great achievement. Pity to say but everybody I know uses facebook these days apart from my wife. Fuck facebook is a good attitude. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    jjmmuir, michelsimons, Erik and 8 others like this.
  3. germancomponist

germancomponist Senior Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Germany
    I often have criticized the EU on facebook and you know what? They delete my comments without a word telling me this ..... . Yeah :)

emid likes this.
  4. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    These corporate entities have become way too powerful...

5. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires To the stars through desire....

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    It’s all robots doing this stuff.

Sibelius19 and Parsifal666 like this.
  6. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Oh I guess he was talking about the company and not their detection implementations.

Quasar likes this.
  7. micrologus

micrologus Active Member

I deleted my account a week ago and now I'm so happy. :) It was a big waste of time...

8. VgsA

VgsA Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Their services are down today, it affected Instagram and WhatsApp too, maybe it has something to do?

FriFlo likes this.
  9. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Pete Townshend turned out to be a prophet: in 1970 he began his second Rock opera, Lifehouse, which was about a rebel who turned against a system that acted like a grid...everyone on the "grid" was provided with the right entertainment, fashion, music, etc.

That grid is Facebook, and it makes you into everybody else...who suck btw. I've been deactivated for six years now. It will get you nowhere.

SoNowWhat?, richardt4520 and FriFlo like this.
  10. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    You are off to a super smart start, then.

FriFlo likes this.
  11. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    LOL. The robots function at the behest of the people who manage the company.

If I create an algorithm that removes money from your bank account into mine and get caught, I can't claim innocence on the grounds that it was the algorithms doing it, not me.

FriFlo and Parsifal666 like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Yeah, I might quit Facebook after this. It may be a strange coincidence with their services being down, but I actually doubt it, as this seems unlikely to me ... I have never experienced Facebook being down and unresponsive to posting. Well, we will see ...

Quasar likes this.
  13. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    You might end up overall happier. I sure did. FB gets people to measure themselves according to others, there are cliques and gangs and exclusive wastes of time all over it. Of course, it's probably best that it is called Facebook, because that's all it is (which is why there are a staggering number of fake profiles).

I found clubs to belong to on Facebook, then realized all they did was eat up the hours of my day, leaving me feeling empty. Just me.

micrologus, dzilizzi and richardt4520 like this.
  14. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I want to completely quit, but I have a few friends and a few work-related acquaintances with whom the messaging service is the only efficient way to communicate. But I don't hang out there and socialize on the news feed anymore.

15. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    You really need to look into modern neural nets / deep learning algorithms. We're way past the point of "they do what they're told", they are made in a way that no one really knows how exactly they work. You just feed them data associated with desired outcomes, and pretty much leave the rest up to them.

You have now. It's down for me too, and I never "use" it.

No offense meant to anyone, but I'm not entirely sure how forums are so hugely different from those "clubs" on social media.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  16. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    You have me there, my friend. Of course, here I'm anonymous (and will remain for personal reasons). FB everyone thought they knew me...they only knew and cared about the face.

MartinH. likes this.
  17. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Also, I don't leave here feeling empty most of the time, in fact I've often picked up something I can use, or something helpful to think about...can't say that about the other place.

dzilizzi and MartinH. like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Alright, then it is probably false alarm. My bad! :) I just never have encountered that with Facebook. I am no regular Facebook user, so it might have happened before. Just a strange coincidence ...

dzilizzi likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Well, I quit posting and reading a lot on Facebook a long time ago, already. Discussing anything deep on the internet is generally a waste of time imo. If I would have been blocked for real, I would have left it for good. Now, I might occasionally post there as I did before. Maybe, one day I will leave for other reasons.
    Anyway, sorry for the miss information! I don’t post things like that as lightly ... I should have thought about alternative reasons, first. It just didn’t cross my mind, that a big site like Facebook could be down (only for posting!).

Parsifal666 likes this.
  20. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    The only reason I still have my personal account is all the music related groups. Though my blood pressure shoots up every time I see another "look y'all, here's my new song"-post when it is quite clearly stated that the group is not for self promotion. Sigh...

Parsifal666 likes this.