What's new

Eating my words - Spitfire.

Hey All,

As most of you know I had a bit of a thing with Spitfire over the past year or so. But since then I have picked up LCO Evo, Olafur Evo, Olafur Chamber Evo, British Toolkit and am currently sizing up Chamber Strings.

As I am sure you are aware it is often tough to eat your own words so publicly, but given the quality of the libraries I have recently got from them (mostly on decent sales!) and the sheer amount of work the libs are putting in for me currently I thought I would be fair and give credit where its due. These are fucking fantastic!!

Genuinely looking forward to whatever is next.

-DJ

Besides the exceptional sound quality, I really really love the walkthroughs and contextual videos from Homay, Oliver, Paul and Christian. They bring every single sample to life and you can actually see and feel their passion for their own libraries.

Hey All,

As most of you know I had a bit of a thing with Spitfire over the past year or so. But since then I have picked up LCO Evo, Olafur Evo, Olafur Chamber Evo, British Toolkit and am currently sizing up Chamber Strings.

As I am sure you are aware it is often tough to eat your own words so publicly, but given the quality of the libraries I have recently got from them (mostly on decent sales!) and the sheer amount of work the libs are putting in for me currently I thought I would be fair and give credit where its due. These are fucking fantastic!!

-DJ
Great post, on multiple levels.

F*cking classy, mate. Bravo.
:)

Hey All,

-DJ

I have many SF libraries and it all started with Albion One. Every single one of them is awesome but, I don’t have everything they’ve made. Mostly because I don’t need it. I’m much more selective now that I have everything covered but I don’t think it’d be an understatement to say they are the foundation of my Orchestral samples.

Props to you Daniel, and I agree with your assessment of those libraries. I’m still waiting to get OA Chamber Evos; not because I have doubts, just budget. Have been upgrading hardware recently.

Hey All,

-DJ
Pick up Studio Strings. I've been a bit down on Spitfire myself, but this library is the shit.

Just based on the Evo / Tundra / Olafur stuff I'd put Spitfire at the tippy-top of the pile. As evidenced by Heavyocity's Novo Intimate / Rhythmic Textures, and other developers jumping in with their own attempts at evolving-texture-style stuff, the concepts that Spitfire innovated are uniquely useful and new.

There's a thousand developers battling over who's got the tightest spiccatos with the most round-robins, or who's got the best tempo-detecting legato, or yadda yadda yadda ad infinitum. I've bought 'em all and I still layer in those ancient Sonic Implants spiccatos because I like the way they bite. So two decades of "improvement" have resulted in incremental gains but few revolutionary sounds.

But when the Evo stuff came out I was like, "Now THAT'S something I haven't heard before!" and I get massive use out of them. So I'm definitely Team Spitfire all the way.

Hey All,

-DJ
LCO in particular is great. I think spitfire is weirder than they commonly get credit for (compliment). My favorite libraries are things like BHCT (new with this sale), alternative strings, LCO, and sound dust. Not that their more traditional fare isn't great but they seem to really do great work in the corners.

I've been falling back in love with LCO Strings recently. Not that I ever really fell *out* of love... it's definitely weird in the best sense of the word.

Definitely agree with you on those libraries you've recently bought. I've been an owner of the original Sable since day 1 and will forever promote how great that library, now Chamber Strings, is. With that said, I think a lot of your previous criticisms are still relevant. The quality in their products has been hit or miss lately. The Studio Series being one that, in my own opinion, has fallen short of the quality found in the EVO series as well as Chamber Strings. Despite my gripes about that, I will echo @charlieclouser in saying that the EVO series by and large was a game changer for the industry. It's certainly worth the hyperbole. Hell, I remember the original "Scary Strings" freebie which was released a month or so before the first EVO grid and that blew me away.

I know people like to hate on whoever is doing the next best thing but you really have to hand it to a company that can be a trend setter.

A colleague today said to me “I just picked up Spitfire Symphonic Strings, they’re great. Do u know Spitfire?”.

I responded with 50% shame and 50% pride, “I own almost everything they’ve released”.

I’m not exactly a fan boy by any means but it means something when I’ve used something from almost all those libraries on recent projects. Very few are gathering dust and that’s more than I can say for some developers.

Top Bottom