What's new

Eating my words - Spitfire.

I responded with 50% shame and 50% pride, “I own almost everything they’ve released”.

Honestly they have some great stuff, but it's much better suited to certain mindsets of composers. Those who just want to use nice sounding samples to create something have a sea of interesting content to choose from with SFA. Realism however is kind of hit or miss, and you end up having to work against the library rather than with it - and that's the part that made me grow away from them.

that said, DJ mostly seems to be known/has strength in the no-rules hybrid type, so It's only natural that he'd find use for many SFA libraries.

things like UIST, tundra, inceni - scream DJ. He might be bitter about HZS still, but honestly he might grow to love the library, even if it's not "captain jack sparrows dick" it's got thick warm strings.*(phrasing?) I'd imagine hzs would be best used for larger than life/softer/inspirational tracks.

That said, SCS is still the single best library they've ever created - despite having many interesting releases and a few unexpected successes(BHT success was a total surprise)

i'm not a fan of the studio series but their symphony series. I like the hall even though lots of ppl highlighted on the wetness concern. But to me, that's the nature sound of the hall and it's beautiful. Too bad i've owned brands here and there. But if i'm a new comer and wanna start with a good orchestral library, i'll grab the symphony series for a start. It's marvelous.

Spitfire is hands down my favorite developer. They just resonate with what I like to hear and how I like to work.

To be honest we are so fortunate to have so many amazing developers. We really are living in a time of riches.

That being said, Chamber String is a 100% must have. Even if you don’t like other Spitfire products, I still think one would like this. It’s so damn versatile! I have and recommend the pro version for the extra mics. You can also wait till the next wish list sale to pick it up. You won’t regret it. I think it’s one of the libraries that’ll end up being timeless. People will be using it long after the technology has moved on, just for the sound alone.

...so when is this forum being renamed? 'Spitfire Control'?

We can ask Mike to state a general rule in the forum guide that from now on if anyone uses the word on S...... gets a ban forever ;) just for precaution.

I think SA is presently experiencing so called "scale effect" and it is natural what is happening recently with all the judgement and anticipation especially when the company evolves like this. I began to see some unnecessary and pointless reactions here and there coming from SA and Daniel is one proof. I am wondering how will they get through with it in the end.

EDIT: to be clear however I love all the libraries I have from SA, especially BHCT and Tundra which imo are the best in its concept and tonal range

Last edited:
Actually, i have to say Spitfire in general excels in capturing the sound. They are definitely one of the AAA list sample library makers as of to date. Their scripting on the other hand may not have the consistencies applied but they're constantly improving themselves. From normal legato to performance legato and Total Performance Legato Patches which they've released for their products as updates over the years, I can say they're constantly improving their products.

Sound wise, you definitely can't go wrong with Spitfire Audio.

The thing that attracts me to Spitfire, apart from the amazing libraries obviously is that they don't come across/aren't a corporate stale company. With the way Christian and sometimes Paul interacts with their community really sort of invites you & makes you feel part of something so to speak.

Hey All,

As most of you know I had a bit of a thing with Spitfire over the past year or so. But since then I have picked up LCO Evo, Olafur Evo, Olafur Chamber Evo, British Toolkit and am currently sizing up Chamber Strings.

As I am sure you are aware it is often tough to eat your own words so publicly, but given the quality of the libraries I have recently got from them (mostly on decent sales!) and the sheer amount of work the libs are putting in for me currently I thought I would be fair and give credit where its due. These are fucking fantastic!!

Genuinely looking forward to whatever is next.

-DJ

How has it taken you THIS long to realize Chamber Strings is great! LOL.

that's the nature sound of the hall and it's beautiful

I've recently been watching a video Christian did about being a Fly On The Wall...it's an actual tracking session for a TV series he's composing for...done in Air Studios...when you hear the conductor speak, you can clearly hear how reverberant the room is...it's what makes the sound. Especially for some wind instruments...like the Oboe. If you put an oboe in a tight small room, or very open space, it's going to sound like crap...certain instruments need the acoustics and vibrations of the environment to truly "sing".

I seriously doubt anyone here begrudges you, Daniel. I might be outrageously presumptuous, but I take it on faith that the majority here just want to learn how to best enjoy our libraries and perhaps explore new ones (and even learn a thing or ten). Or at least a great many are.

I could be wrong lol.

All in all, with the amount of great content Spitfire is putting out and the various detailed walkthroughs, they have absolutely won me over as a fan. I come from the old days of using an Akai S3000 XL and a Glyph SCSI drive for sample libraries and believe me, orchestral libraries were laughable back in those days. I'm thrilled at the progress they are making.

things like UIST, tundra, inceni - scream DJ. He might be bitter about HZS still, but honestly he might grow to love the library, even if it's not "captain jack sparrows dick" it's got thick warm strings.*(phrasing?) I'd imagine hzs would be best used for larger than life/softer/inspirational tracks.

That said, SCS is still the single best library they've ever created - despite having many interesting releases and a few unexpected successes(BHT success was a total surprise)

I honestly think anything marketed as "captain jack sparrows dick" would be a grave mark against buying it. I can't be alone here, can I? lol

How was BHCT a total surprise? It's one of their most inspired, imaginative, and best efforts. Even better, it matches up with the Studio series like butter on toast, at least in my experience.

I honestly think anything marketed as "captain jack sparrows dick" would be a grave mark against buying it. I can't be alone here, can I? lol

I think there was a significant body of opinion, not sure if it was a majority or just a vocal minority, who very precisely wanted exactly this.

In any event, that controversy is happily behind us, lots of people are finding amazing things to do with HZS, and we know that more content has been recorded for HZS. Whether it turns out to be "extra super really really gentle" sul tasto or additional "pirate member" staccatos very much remains to be seen.

Either would be cool.

How was BHCT a total surprise? It's one of their most inspired, imaginative, and best efforts. Even better, it matches up with the Studio series like butter on toast, at least in my experience.
This is good to know—I'm surprised SF hasn't talked more about this combination—and will perhaps be the final incentive to get BHCT, which has long been on my wish list.

This is good to know—I'm surprised SF hasn't talked more about this combination—and will perhaps be the final incentive to get BHCT, which has long been on my wish list.
I went mad with that library... I had to buy as much of Bernard's discography as possible and the movies with 5.1. Bernard is one of the greatest composers of the past century along with heavies like Goldsmith, Williams, and Morricone. That library was as much an education in writing with one man's wildly distinctive orchestral combinations as well as a fine dry library in and of itself, outside of anything niche one might prematurely deduce it to be. And oh yeah you get all the mics in one package, folks! I had a sickeningly unhealthy and obsessive relationship with the Sul tasto patch, the harp and Celeste combination, horn-timpani....

Spitfire produces great stuff if you create 'epic' music. But if you're looking for subtleties, you're barking up the wrong tree.

I went mad with that library... I had to buy as much of Bernard's discography as possible and the movies with 5.1. Bernard is one of the greatest composers of the past century along with heavies like Goldsmith, Williams, and Morricone. That library was as much an education in writing with one man's wildly distinctive orchestral combinations as well as a fine dry library in and of itself, outside of anything niche one might prematurely deduce it to be. And oh yeah you get all the mics in one package, folks! I had a sickeningly unhealthy and obsessive relationship with the Sul tasto patch, the harp and Celeste combination, horn-timpani....
I was a horn/timpani skeptic until I tried the patch. I think it is their best library. The only patch I haven't bonded with is the Ondes. It is missing some of the controls that I would have hoped for in an Ondes to get Theremin style sounds.

Wow lol. Clearly you haven't seen a lot of their libraries

More likely it's a confusion of terms.

There's a kind of subtlety that you get from VSL's willingness to sample 8 dynamic layers, for instance, which is a kind of subtlety that Spitfire isn't going to give you.

If you're like me and think that subtlety doesn't start until your library offers at least 15 types of sul tasto (20 would be better), well that's a totally different kind of subtlety.

Top Bottom