What's new

EastWest PLAY 6

"nobody forced EW to create their own engine. They could have used Kontakt"

They created their own player to secure their libraries. That's why they left first GigaSampler, and then Kontakt.

"nobody forced EW to create their own engine. They could have used Kontakt"

They created their own player to secure their libraries. That's why they left first GigaSampler, and then Kontakt.
Of course this is opinion. But from being a customer of theirs and looking at their model, they like profit.
I don't think they needed the costs for the player, I think they see they can get it.

Add a search function and some new graphics and we have to pay $30
Seems like a baiting technique to me
Of course I have Composer Cloud Plus, but now that Hollywood Choirs has been delayed and looks like it may not even release today...I am not sure I see the benefits of that service either now.

I think it is about benefit for the company, not the customer sadly :cautious:

Of course this is opinion. But from being a customer of theirs and looking at their model, they like profit.
I don't think they needed the costs for the player, I think they see they can get it.

Add a search function and some new graphics and we have to pay $30
Seems like a baiting technique to me
Of course I have Composer Cloud Plus, but now that Hollywood Choirs has been delayed and looks like it may not even release today...I am not sure I see the benefits of that service either now.

I think it is about benefit for the company, not the customer sadly :cautious:

Of course it is to benefit the company. There are a business and they are in business to make money.

No-one is forcing anyone to buy Play 6 or Hollywood Choirs. There is still a free version available. Dont like it - dont buy it.

Of course it is to benefit the company. There are a business and they are in business to make money.

No-one is forcing anyone to buy Play 6 or Hollywood Choirs. There is still a free version available. Dont like it - dont buy it.
Businesses require customers

I really don't care about companies have changed from the old model, or however it is put.
This way of doing business is selfish and wrong.
I would run a business to offer a service and give good support and produce something useful to others.
I need to make money yes, but as soon as the customers are just stats and profit machines, I would KNOW I had lost my moral foundation for being a provider of a service or product.

If businesses continue to do this, especially to content creators who (from what I see) enjoy building good relationships and contacts, then businesses will fail :whistling:

Although I agree it's ridiculous to charge loyal customers for Play 6, I will inevitably take the bait. Why? Their libraries and customer support have been stellar (for me, anyways) since buying my first EW products back in 2007. They are still my staple libraries....heck, I still use SD1 and Colossus in Kontakt from time to time. I'll end up buying HC as well, but will wait for the bugs to be ironed out. EW is a great company, period.

PLAY 6 is available for download now. Really liking the new Browser structure, although it takes a bit of getting used to :) Is anyone running PLAY 6 and having problems with weird clicks when using the built-in reverb? Never had that problem before.

Is anyone running PLAY 6 and having problems with weird clicks when using the built-in reverb? Never had that problem before.

I have not experienced any clicks using the built-in reverb within PLAY 6. You've got me worried though that there may be clicks I am not hearing in my mixes. Is what you're experiencing intermittent or persistent?

Last edited:
Most of the Play libraries I run are on a slave PC via VEP. This slave PC is still on Windows 7, I have no plans to upgrade the OS and Play 5 runs fine on it. Play 6 as it stands offers no major performance improvements and I dont need the search function as I use the slave PC mostly to host permanently fixed racks of instruments.

Now if Play 6 offered major performance and ram efficiency boosts, I would happily pay $30. But not if it meant upgrading the OS and all the potential pain that might inflict (especially as I am a Mac guy and fiddling with PCs scares the hell out of me).

Not interested in Composer Cloud just like I am not interested in Adobe Cloud (still on CS6). Dont like SAAS, dont think it encourages ongoing development as there is no real incentive once users are locked in and committed unless they dont ever need to access old files ever again.

Sure subscribers to Composer Cloud get new releases added. But over 2-3 years you probably end up paying what it would cost to own the titles you actually want to keep, especially based on the sales they keep having. Plus the Cloud versions dont have all the Mics.

I do feel EW have fallen behind in recent years (or been caught up). I just dont think they are as innovative as they were. Hollywood Choirs seems to be an improvement based on specs, but still seems to have been slightly ill-conceived for the price.

Sorry for being noob but what is all this intergration with N I Komplete what exactly does that mean.

Edit: ok understand now its with complete control

Businesses require customers
I would run a business to offer a service and give good support and produce something useful to others.
I need to make money yes, but as soon as the customers are just stats and profit machines, I would KNOW I had lost my moral foundation for being a provider of a service or product.

Good point. Thats e.g. why I am a big fan of CineSamples. If you look at lets say their CineBrass they added a lot of great content in the years after the release (Monsterbrass Patches, Trombone stuff, 12 Horns and so on), fixed issues, new GUI and other things. FOR FREE! As a customer they give me the feeling that they care for me and that they have got the right attitude. They are proud of their own products and show that they love what they do. And they always seem to try to keep their products up to date. The result of this is that i tend to purchase stuff from them if I have to decide to take a product from them or another company offering something similar. I trust them. Trust is valuable!

Last edited:
Yes I appreciate this as as well :)
Also how Mike will demo the products in a live stream, by actually writing real music, not just playing phrases :)

I also appreciate this about Spitfire Audio

Since I've been ragging on EW the last few days, I'll be fair and say that I *really* like the new layout / database / search functions of PLAY 6.

BUT has anyone figured out how to get rid of the ridiculous advertising text that shows up every time you click on a patch? I've only had a brief time to play with it, so maybe I'm missing an obvious button?

EW.png

Hi !
i just bought play6

Well i can't make it work with Komplete Kontrol.
Anyone has this working ?

Any youtube video to show ?

I noticed PLAY 6 had some kind of move key range feature. Can someone check what it actually does? Can you really move the mapping of the entire loaded patch to a different key range?

If I understand you correctly, basically yes. Key range defines the range of active keys (so you can dedicate an octave on your keyboard to, say, basses), then use transpose to define what's in that octave on your keyboard (if I was in G, I'd transpose +7, say). So I could load basses and piano, set both to MIDI channel 1, set C1-C2 as basses, and C2-C3 as piano, and have them sounding the key of G.

I don't normally do stuff like that, so sorry if this isn't exactly what you're asking about.

I should also mention that it is super buggy on my end; it won't let me manually enter the key range (you can type it, but it doesn't register) I have to click a little up arrow for semitones, so going up a few octaves is incredibly tedious. It also randomly adds harmony notes for certain keys when I do this.

If I understand you correctly, basically yes. Key range defines the range of active keys (so you can dedicate an octave on your keyboard to, say, basses), then use transpose to define what's in that octave on your keyboard (if I was in G, I'd transpose +7, say). So I could load basses and piano, set both to MIDI channel 1, set C1-C2 as basses, and C2-C3 as piano, and have them sounding the key of G.

I don't normally do stuff like that, so sorry if this isn't exactly what you're asking about.

I should also mention that it is super buggy on my end; it won't let me manually enter the key range (you can type it, but it doesn't register) I have to click a little up arrow for semitones, so going up a few octaves is incredibly tedious. It also randomly adds harmony notes for certain keys when I do this.

Thanks for looking into it. It does sound like something I would have a use for - sucks to hear about the bugs. Hopefully they'll sort it out soon.

Hi !
i just bought play6

Well i can't make it work with Komplete Kontrol.
Anyone has this working ?

Any youtube video to show ?

Maybe also worth to check and post on the official EW forum. Hopefully somebody there can answer your question. I was reading through the manual of PLAY 6, but otherwise then mentioning you can use it with Komplete Kontrol there is no actual instruction on it (not using Komplete Kontrol here btw)
EW forum: https://www.soundsonline-forums.com/

Top Bottom