EastWest PLAY 6

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by George Bellas, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    It's rather the fact, that they promise better performance in Play 6, than in Play 5.
    Until version 5, Play was always a buggy POC. It got better in the meanwhile, but in terms of performance,
    it is still not on par with Kontakt. And maybe never will.
    But promissing performance improvements makes it sound, like we use a crippled shareware version
    of a program, that we need to unlock for the full features.

2. JonSolo

JonSolo Not Han's Brother

What principle? Seriously. The one that states a developer must keep up with changing technology and keep all of their products up to date at no cost to the consumer? I mean, in principle, since we are talking principles and not rules or laws, it might be KIND of them to fix something if Microsoft or Apple wrecks it. On the other hand, where does that obligation begin and end?

Play 6 appears to be developed with FUTURE releases in mind. That means that buyers of these future releases should not be obligated to pay for it. On the other hand, the product that runs our current libraries was left working just fine. Would it be their fault if some OS maker broke it?

If so then a lot of software companies owe me based on the fact that their products no longer work under Windows 10. And a lot of music software devs owe me because their product no longer works in Cubase Pro.

No...that principle don't work...cause nothing in this world lasts forever, as much as we would like it to.

DanielNeelMusic likes this.
  3. benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Software development is time consuming and expensive. Some of the features they added to Play 6 may have required significant code refactoring, hence the premium price. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that, as business people, they didn't come to the decision to charge for the upgrade lightly.

constaneum, Dominik Raab and shomynik like this.
  4. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    If it were open to third party development like Kontakt, then sure. I could see charging for it. But it's specifically made for their own bloody products and will likely now be the only version that gets bug fixes AND it's not Play Pro which will add new features that justify the cost. This is nothing more than blatant double-dipping.

Matt Riley likes this.
  5. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    And no Kontakt style ability to tinker and customize, either. And if you're not interested in that, Kontakt Player is free.

6. banes

banes New Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Before buying EW composer 2 without demo available, I assumed I would be able to resell it if it doesn't meet my needs. Wrong assumption...

7. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I paid for multiple versions of Konakt -- more than $30 or $40 too. And those who buy Kontakt Player libraries also indirectly pay for it, because the license fee the software makers pay to Native Instruments is a cost of business and ends up incorporated into the price of libraries we buy.

I haven't seen an announcement from EW one way or another. I see a bunch of speculation here about whether or not PLAY 5 will stop being developed. I don't see anyone who has specific knowledge to that effect.

[note: I have received free products from East West]

Casiquire likes this.
  8. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

Software developer produces an upgraded version of their software and wants to charge 30 bucks for an upgrade.

Meanwhile the previous version of their software works perfectly well.

The sense of entitlement here is truly incredible. No wonder some developers no longer frequent this forum.

Iskra and JohnG like this.
  9. thereus

thereus Active Member

Jan 18, 2017
    There is a problem though. The multi-layered platforms... pc/mac, Windows/macOS, DAWs, protocol improvements, (kontakt but not in this case) do require a massive amount of work to keep abreast of. Sample libraries (including the Free players) are paid for by lump sum. Let’s not forget the free lifetime support and download bandwidth demanded. Oh, then there is NKS, Kontakt player, new copyright protection methods. When is the vendor allowed to give up? Spitfire, for example, seem to expect new users to pay for free upgrades for old users. That is not a sustainable model, in the end. You want the moon on a stick.

10. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    You're not a buyer of the software nor the samples. You get a license to use the product.

EW doesn't care about existing customers. Never have, never will. This won't be different.

11. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    You're forgetting one thing: None of us have paid for Play. It's included as part of the libraries they sell. Why? Because they are the only libraries that work with it. We're not talking about a company like NI that provides an engine that anyone can develop on. We're talking about an engine that only works with EW products. It's hardly entitlement to expect them to update their product that up till now, they have given away for free for those who purchase their software licenses. Bet the people who subscribe their their CC will get instant access to it even though they have put in a small fraction of the money into that company than I have.

And since we're talking about money now, let's talk about the $10,000+ I've already spent with them over the years only to be pushed aside and ignored when I've had issues with their products. Yah, ask me again if I care that a company like EW doesn't post here.

lucky909091 and Matt Riley like this.
  12. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    It still doesn't even support custom keyswitches or anything. Who needs Play 6 anyway? The 90ies barebones sample player is already there, it's called Play 5.

13. lpuser

lpuser Active Member

Dec 7, 2012
    First of all PLAY 6 offers many improvements which are obviously neither limited to only the newer instruments nor the cloud. Asking payment from loyal customers who have already spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on EW libraries (with a no-resale policy by the way) is just wrong, no matter how you put it. And if you need a reason, it is because PLAY totally worthless without the libraries I have already purchased. There is absolutely no value to the product other than playing back EW libraries. And I think EW should have the principle to provide their customers with the best solution to playback the libraries they bought! Seriously.

Look at UVI or others, nobody ever tried to charge customers for updates to their own playback engine for the sample libraries they sell. I do not care how long it took EW or ... whatever ... because nobody forced EW to create their own engine. They could have used Kontakt (like the did in the very past) or UVI workstation or <insert other player> but they have decided to do it differently because it is a means of protecting their libraries. It is that easy.
    (And I will not even start to discuss that giving PLAY 6 to all customers would be the least we could expect when we look at how slowly EW did fix some of the obvious flaws and bugs in their libraries).

lucky909091, EgM and Mystic like this.
  14. Jimmy Hellfire

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    In other news, VSL is soon releasing their new Synchron Player - apparently even vastly more powerful than VI PRO - free of charge.

15. JonSolo

JonSolo Not Han's Brother

Ipuser...you still haven't given me the principle that makes it WRONG.

Let me help you with your side, so you can see mine: I will concede that this is WRONG in principle IF Eastwest states, or if it comes to light that Play 5 is NO LONGER SUPPORTED. If that is the case, then your statement is 100% correct, and you have my support and agreement that it is a travesty that EWQL decided to charge for a product that should be free to current users.

On the other hand, while it would be nice to have ADDITIONAL features (doesn't that cost money to develop?) in Play 5, it works perfectly well. If they continue to fix problems there, or release a Play 6 free version that fixes the problems...then no principle has been violated.

My comment about what principle was built around the basis that we have NO INFORMATION moving forward about the fate of Play 5.

And by the way, it makes sense to include Play 6 in CCC because without it the latest library would not work. This does not mean that past libraries are suddenly dependent on Play 6. Other than the browser, I don't know if there will be any other benefit to Play 6 with the current libraries, and I agree that it makes no sense to buy it separately. Yes, I can be reasonable. I am not an EWQL robot, ha ha ha.

Fleer likes this.
  16. RCsound

RCsound Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    I still remember the FX section of Stormdrum 3, that could be purchased separately for those who did not have Stordrum 3, and later was free for all users, maybe something similar happen with play 6.

17. emasters

emasters Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    It's just a question of time, when v5 is no longer supported. With the rapid pace of OS development (regular major releases with Apple and MS), IMHO EW will find within 12 to 18 months, the cost of porting fixes, testing fixes, supporting OS changes, etc., exceeds what they want to invest. The fewer codebases they have to support, the less effort and overall cost. I don't fault EW for this, as many vendors are in the same situation. I do appreciate there is cost involved with developing Play 6 -- the question is, do they recover that cost selling library content or charging for the player? It would seem EW has decided the amount they are charging for library content does not cover their development costs for the Player -- otherwise the update would be free. Seems strange to me, as other vendors bundle the costs into their libraries, with a free player (including updates). I guess for a while one can stick with v5 if paying the upgrade fee is upsetting. My expectation, is like all things EW, within 6 to 12 months the price will plummet, and they will ultimately give away v6 for free to move all their users forward, minimizing their development and support costs with a single Player codebase. Starbucks or Player v6... hmmm, tough decision!

18. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Unless play 6 offers something extraordinary, I can't see a lot of users giving up on play 5.

But it could be that East West are planning a new line of library's, that will only work with play 6, this will be exiting but probably the only reason why any one would go for it.

The attention seeking library's from well known Developers seem to be Strings and Brass, are head turner's. It normally means you have done something special.

8dio are on it, VSL, are on it, and a few smaller but well known Developers are on it,

I do expect East West to follow the trend, when they can say this is our older strings and brass, and this is our up to date latest addition to our stings and brass.

Matt Riley likes this.
  19. Lotias

Lotias Active Member

Sep 16, 2016
    All they have said is that it is free of charge for owners of Synchron Stage libraries. Which sounds about the same as East/West. Nothing has been mentioned about using it for their previous libraries, other than that they "have plans but it might take a long time to work them out."

20. Jimmy Hellfire

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    Not entirely true. What was said that there will be no charged "pro" version. And that it will only be compatible with the new line of libraries for the time being. Obviously, nobody knows if they're gonna charge money for it, should it become backwards-compatible as well. But it's a different case. Even if so, it's still new software, supposedly more powerful. Play 6 on the other hand is still just Play. Literally.