EastWest PLAY 6

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by George Bellas, Nov 24, 2017.

1. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    +1 Maybe it will be on sale in the future like all of EWQL products

2. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I will definitely wait for user feedback on Play 6. We had too many free messed up releases. I don't feel like paying for a mess.

3. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    About 2 years ago, they announced a new Play Pro for a year later (iinm).

Just sayin'

4. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Oh yeah, I remember. Never appeared.

5. holywilly

holywilly Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I’ll pay double if PLAY 6 can custom assign key switch for multiple patches and resource friendly. Hopefully the dream comes true.

6. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I wouldn't count on it ;)

7. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It can't.

8. msorrels

msorrels New Member

May 27, 2008
    Did they fix the release tails not always playing unless the samples were loading fully into memory or on a very fast SSD?

9. husker

husker Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Pay for the host software? That is pretty cheesy...

EgM likes this.
  10. Dominik Raab

Dominik Raab Active Member

Apr 29, 2011
    The only library that requires PLAY 6 has PLAY 6 included.

11. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    So is Play 6 the Play Pro that was never released? Also if we buy Play 6, do they shave off that $30 from the price of HC? (Guessing not considering this is EW we're talking about here)

jcrosby likes this.
  12. husker

husker Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I understand that. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

13. Dominik Raab

Dominik Raab Active Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I certainly understand why it rubs you the wrong way. Just wanted to clear that up before people (not you) start thinking everyone has to buy it or their software won't work - or anything along those lines.

Nope. PLAY Pro would be EW's equivalent to NI's Kontakt (as opposed to Kontakt Player) if I remember that correctly. PLAY 6 is not that.

14. husker

husker Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Good call on your part. I didn't think about that. I need to work on keeping my sarcastic comments to myself. :)

15. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Yes -- same here

shomynik likes this.
  16. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    Heh, what happens then if EW doesn't feel like updating Play 5 for a version of MacOS or Windows that doesn't support it anymore? Their record on updating and maintaining old products isn't exactly stellar.

I know it's only 30 bucks (40 here), but I have no use for a search database (took them one year... w-t-f?)

17. nicoroy123

nicoroy123 Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Montreal
    Jay, you tested Play 6 ? There is a Key Switch parameter in the Play 6 guy, assigned a C-2, which make total sense for a key switching. So I was wondering if it could be configured for custom keyswitching?

18. lpuser

lpuser Active Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Huge disappointment having to pay for an engine to play my expensive libraries. I was always defending EW for making their own engine in order to better protect their stuff, but hey - Play 6 is not a sampler and cannot be used without EW libraries, so .. what on earth?

EgM likes this.
  19. JonSolo

JonSolo Not Han's Brother

I am not specifically responding to you, but to the masses who have posted similarly. No one is forcing you to update to Play 6. It is NOT needed to run any of their current libraries. Further, WHEN it become NECESSITY in their FUTURE libraries, you DO GET IT FOR FREE!

When we bought our current libraries, nothing, other than what we currently have, was implied. There were no promises for updates or anything of that sort.

Additionally, and I could be wrong, we don't have confirmation that Play 5 is no longer under development. I am sure it is no longer being developed, but I am also sure that most of us will have purchased a Play 6 library before our OSes no longer support Play 5.

I am frustrated with the delay of the choirs, but hopefully will see a great product released.

20. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    You just don't get it. Play 5 is free for our current purchased libraries, they release Play 6 which we have to pay. They barely have enough coding resources to keep their current stuff up. When an OS release breaks Play 5, they will not bother to update it.

I know the EW Admin posted it as a starbucks run, but not all of us run under US Currency - I can afford 40 bucks, but the principle of the thing is super wrong!