What's new

EastWest Hollywood Choirs

Fiddled with it a bit the past few days. As usual, if you want samples that are clean (and thus eminently mixable), EW is the place to go. I'm not having the problems with legato that others are apparently having, in fact I find them in some contexts a bit smoother than SC.

I guess the one negative I have is that this is expensive, especially for people like me, whom already own (and have owned for many years) EWSCP. And...well, put it this way: it's still waaay too early for me to make a firm judgement here, but this certainly isn't going to have me using EWSCP any less. Give me a couple more weeks with my Cloud and I'll get back to ya.

I'm not sure what library is more "realistic" than the EW (realism can at times be at least as much in the hands of the person using the library as it is in the recorded content...and even then you ain't gonna get "completely realistic" from ANY library people, you know that. Even Strezov, good as it undoubtedly is...sorry folks it's true).

Last edited:
It's not just you. Unfortunately, even though the demo writers are fine composers, their production chops are lacking. Which is kind of the opposite of what you want in a demo composer.

I'd love to hear another TJ demo... Though he could make just about any library sound incredible.

Yes, I let the huge sales from Soundiron, 8Dio and Stretzov go only to wait for this. It’s not bad, but not sure if it’s any better. The world builder seems quite useless because of the poor pronunciation. Quasi-words would have been just as good.

xmas will bring some more sales - but for sure not on this one... more expensive than the whole diamond orchestra ;)

Here's an example of the 'legato' which I'm not too impressed with

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/hc-legato-men-mp3.10662/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Also the tenors are much louder than the basses
... Oh. My. Fucking. God. This sounds 100x worse than libraries that came out 5 years ago. What the fuck was EastWest thinking??

Here's an example of the 'legato' which I'm not too impressed with

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/hc-legato-men-mp3.10662/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Also the tenors are much louder than the basses

Yikes. That doesn't sound good.

Does your example use "true legato"? I think they call it "Other" in the Hollywood Choir interface (according to the manual).

Here's Soundiron Mercury Symphonic Boys' Choir as an example of how a VI true legato should sound:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/msbc-legato-mp3.10665/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• msbc-legato.mp3
    363.9 KB · Views: 252
I'm not the target audience for these libraries (I don't really use choir much) but this sounds rather dreadful compared to what has been on the market for years now (and the expectations they set).

Wow, I'm floored that this is it. Considering Nick was producing it... even the demos didn't wow me like they usually do.

I'm now convinced that EW is focused on consumer market rather than professionals much like Waves has. That trailer was just shockingly bad. And virtual reality? Really?

What do people think of the word builder? I think it sounds much better than it did with Symphonic Choirs but it doesn't seem to provide legato along with it.

Not_impressed.jpg

Man... as mentioned above by others, I feel sad I passed on some black friday choirs in anticipation of EWHC. Watching the demo/tutorial made me break out my EWSCP for a sanity check (and right away we see - as far as I could tell - only one addition to votox -> h!) and, between me and EWSCP and the demo... I am not seeing a huge difference. I reproduced the "troll in the dungeon" example almost identically.

There may be some workflow improvements I can't examine but... 600-800 $ worth? Frankly I am mystified. I thought there would be an order-of-magnitude improvement. I may be uninformed but my senses tell me this is some polish on a previous iteration. For what it does I am sticking with SCP and spending the money on.. probably Fluffy's Dominus. I have all the vowels I need from other libraries.

Edit: I guess I just failed to see the virtual reality component (j/k)

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like a significant enough improvement over the original SC to consider it.

Meanwhile for everybody saying that it sounds worse than other libraries...well that's up for debate. I haven't yet heard a full word builder that sounds better. That's a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately because of that, I'm sticking with SC despite my feelings for EW.

Top Bottom