What's new

EastWest and iLok

I like music

Hey guys!

A bit confused, and had reached out to them but not heard back. Is it the case that I can't have an EW library activated on two machines? As in, I have to deactivate on one machine via iLok manager each time I want to use it on another?

Currently on my laptop, with no access to my computer where I had originally activated a couple of their libraries, and it seems like I can't activate any libraries on here unless I physically deactivate from my other machine ...

Does anyone know what the general policy is? Couldn't find it anywhere!

That´s right; that is btw the downside of not using the iLok dongle:
If you want to transfer a license from A to B, then you need to deactivate the license on A with the iLok Manager (means transferring the license to your license cloud, so the need of an online connection), and then activate that license on B while being online.

Thank you all. Since it is likely I'll be using two machines per day, every day, this will be a headache. Lets see how it goes!

Hey guys!

A bit confused, and had reached out to them but not heard back. Is it the case that I can't have an EW library activated on two machines? As in, I have to deactivate on one machine via iLok manager each time I want to use it on another?

Currently on my laptop, with no access to my computer where I had originally activated a couple of their libraries, and it seems like I can't activate any libraries on here unless I physically deactivate from my other machine ...

Does anyone know what the general policy is? Couldn't find it anywhere!

I only have HO. I only got one ilok activation, so at least for that library yes, that’s the policy.

Actually, this makes me wonder if I could somehow purchase a second activation? (Unless that is the same price as buying the same libraries again...)

Is it the case that I can't have an EW library activated on two machines? As in, I have to deactivate on one machine via iLok manager each time I want to use it on another?

My experience is this: If you use a physical iLok on Machine A for Library x, and you also have Library x installed on Machine B, you just move the iLok to a USB port on Machine B if you want to use Machine B instead.

So no, I didn't deactivate anything if using the physical iLok. If you are using the soft version maybe so -- idk.

My experience is this: If you use a physical iLok on Machine A for Library x, and you also have Library x installed on Machine B, you just move the iLok to a USB port on Machine B if you want to use Machine B instead.

So no, I didn't deactivate anything if using the physical iLok. If you are using the soft version maybe so -- idk.

Aye, it is a soft-version so I have to deactivate each time. I do have a dongle for my Cubase. Can that somehow be used/is it compatible, if anyone knows?

Aye, it is a soft-version so I have to deactivate each time. I do have a dongle for my Cubase. Can that somehow be used/is it compatible, if anyone knows?
No does not work. Cubase uses e-Licenser (which works with VSL libraries).
Whereas EastWest uses iLok.
These are the two big dongle solutions (not compatible to each other).

But moving the license to a phyiscal iLok dongle let's you change machine by taking the dongle with you.

I wonder if iLok Cloud would bring alternative uses:
https://paceap.com/pace-ilok-cloud.html
Yup. iLok-Cloud let's you use your license on different machines without deactivating anything (only one machine at a time per license).
Downside: You must have internet connection.

Unfortunately iLok-Cloud does not work for all licenses. Only for those where the developer allows it. My EastWest licenses do not allow iLok-Cloud.

Yup. iLok-Cloud let's you use your license on different machines without deactivating anything (only one machine at a time per license).

Unfortunately iLok-Cloud does not work for all licenses. Only for those where the developer allows it. My EastWest licenses do not allow iLok-Cloud.

That's not what seems to happen here. The license is in the iLok dongle -- that's the point of it. If you move the dongle you don't need to be connected to the internet nor do you need to deactivate anything.

Maybe they changed something?

Thank you for clarifying. I might just have to buy a physical dongle, though having two of these (one for e-licenser for cubase, and another for east west) sticking out of my laptop sends shivers up my spine. I tend to break usb-type sticks a lot...

That's not what seems to happen here. The license is in the iLok dongle -- that's the point of it. If you move the dongle you don't need to be connected to the internet nor do you need to deactivate anything.

Hoping to get a response from them soon, and once I do I'll query this exact situation just to make sure I know how to proceed. Thanks for the answers!

This was just mentioned because @Fleer above brought the iLok-Cloud feature into the discussion.

Right now there are 3 ways using iLok licenses:
a) Using physical iLok dongle: No need for internet connection. Just take the dongle where you want to use the license. That is the purpose of the dongle :)

b) Using computer locked iLok license: Does not use a dongle but activates to a computer. This has to be deactivated each time you want to transfer it to a different machine. That is what the question here was all about.

c) iLok-Cloud license: Does not use a physical dongle. The license is automatically activated on the machine when you want to use a license. This is like automatically activating/deactivating computer locked licenses. But you need internet connection for this. And the developer must allow iLok-Cloud feature. This is kind of new and keeps your license online all the time and activates to one of your machines on request automatically.
Edit: EastWest license do not allow iLok-Cloud (at least mine do not).

So how do you guys use your licenses? By having them on Ilok or on Computer?

I have the Ilok Gen2 for a while now and a lot of the EW licenses don't seem to work activated on Cloud.

Thank you for clarifying. I might just have to buy a physical dongle, though having two of these (one for e-licenser for cubase, and another for east west) sticking out of my laptop sends shivers up my spine. I tend to break usb-type sticks a lot...
Put a hub or extension cable in between. This way you don't endanger the slot on your computer.

That's a great idea, eliminates the all-too-often bit where you drop your arm on the stick while it's pointing out of the side of the laptop.

Just found this one on the UK Amazon site since you are across the pond, it's got switches which is nice for when you use your laptop for other stuff and don't need the Licenser cooking away:

Amazon product ASIN B00JX1ZS5O

So how do you guys use your licenses? By having them on Ilok or on Computer?

I have the Ilok Gen2 for a while now and a lot of the EW licenses don't seem to work activated on Cloud.
I activate it when i need it on my laptop, no dongle. Then i deactivated it immediately after. In case i have a crash i would lose the license (or have to beg East West for a new one). In case i need to use a dongle, i need a free USB-A port and no dongle is small enough to be safe in a laptop.

That is why i rarely use East West anyway. If they would have support for iLok cloud and i could deactivate licenses in the cloud after a potential crash, that would solve most of the difficulties here. For the time being it is so much of pita that it is not worth the trouble, though i invested thousands. I should have known better, but i didn't know it would turn out this way at the time of purchase.

Top Bottom