East West Strings Gold - How to get consistent volume across patches?


New Member

I am using Logic Pro and am trying to arrange strings with multiple patches. I have, for instance, a cello track where I have an instance of Play with various Cello patches loaded. Then in the track's list editor I select the output channel in order to switch articulations. So I might have a Long patch (folder 1), some Short and Fast patches, etc.

In reading the manual, seems different patches have different ways of controlling loudness and dynamics. I really can't figure out how to get very loud sounds from the folder 1 Log patches. If I set Expression and Volume to max, and Modulation to, say, 100, then max output of a single note is around -16 dB.

If I set Modulation to 127 max output is around -13dB. And this is with the Player output set to 6.2 (which I guess is default).

On the other hand if I play a short and fast patch, say Spic RRx9, then with high velocity values I get around -8dB max output.

So this makes it very difficult to use multiple patches in way where I can control dynamics consistently but more importantly, output when Expression and Volume are set to max seems really low in folder 1 patches.

Any tips on how to use multiple patches in a seamless way and on getting more reasonable output level on folder 1 Long patches?



Composer | Writer | Breakfast Food Enthusiast
You can try changing the "volume knob" inside Play itself to balance the relative loudness-relationships between articulations, and/or with a Gain plugin on the articulation audio return channels (that is if I understand you correctly, and that each one is different).

If you want to control dynamics in a different way, either use a different patch (for example, the simpler "long" patches in HS are controlled via CC1 for dynamics) or create a custom Environment macro that can take your input CCs, however you like to use them, and output them the way HS wants to see them.


Active Member
East West samples were recorded nicely however huge design failure with the Play interface and very poor implementation of matching volume levels of articulations. Such a shame. Recording team did a pretty good job but the final production team was pretty horrible.