What's new

East West Hollywood Orchestra: compared to VSL and Spitfire?

Hi!

I am on the verge of using East West's Easter deal on Hollywood Orchestra.
My question would be:

With strings i already have VSL Dimension and Appassionata Strings, Spitfire Mural and Sabel, plus Cinematic Strings.
Woods: VSL and Cinesamples
Brass: VSL and Cinesamples

Anybody, who knows all of them and can tell me, if its still worth in terms of additional sound and articulations, to buy the East West package?

Many thanks!

JohnG

Hi there,

Maybe you could give a little more information and you'd get better guidance:

1. Do you already have orchestral percussion? Do you want orchestral percussion if you don't have it?
2. What kind of music do you write in general?
3. Is this more a hobby or something you want to pursue as a profession?
4. Is there something about the libraries you already own that you feel is missing?
5. Do you run on Mac or PC, and do you have the extra computer resources to absorb new EW libraries? They are excellent; the other three are more or less regular in what they ask of the computer, but Hollywood Strings is very demanding.

Personally, I like to have a wide variety of sounds and timbres, so it's tough to say "no, you have enough."

[note: I have received free products from East West]

OP
newcreation08

newcreation08

Hi JohnG!

Thanks for your reply!

1. I already have EW Orchestra Percussion Diamond (the only East West Orchestra Lib. + Cinesamples Percussion (all 4).
2. I would say my music is orchestral, epic, cinematic. I like big orchestral sounds (as i am sitting in a symphony orchestra myself for almost 3 decades :))
3. I started this project last year. So till now it has become a passionate hobby but who knows. I would like it to become more than that.
4. Missing ... well ... i realized, that its always good to have many options to choose from. VSL have great articulations and are very playable, but sound a little thin. Spitfire have a much brighter sound, but sometimes its harder to get the right articulations out of them. Thats why i was asking, if EW would be worth an additional option.
5. I run an iMac i7, 4Ghz Fusion drive, 32GB Ram. All samples are on external HD + SSD drive. My EW Percussion i first had on the external HD (7200 rpm) and they loaded very slowly from that drive. But since i put them on the SSD, they work extremely fast.

So do you think, without a slave machine EW is too demanding?

novaburst

What is wrong with Appassionata that is a huge sound of string you have,

Its clear your workstation is very powerful and its easy to determine that even if east west are power hungry
(H W O) looks like your setup will handle it quite easy.

Not a bad word on this forum about the sound of east west products, If you can get them go for it from this end there should not be anything stopping you, you have a work hug of a machine.

OP
newcreation08

newcreation08

What is wrong with Appassionata that is a huge sound of string you have,
Appassionata are not really my favorites and i very rarely use them, don't know why. Somehow their sound is not so much to my taste, also articulations are very little. Compared to them, i like the Spitfire Mural much better.
So if you think my workstation is strong enough, i maybe just should get them. As i have already the Orchestra Percussion from them, it reduces the prize anyway further ...

JohnG

Well, given what you've written, I would definitely get East West, if only for the strings and brass (I don't have the EW new winds).

For strings, I use Mural, Sable, and LASS in my template as well, but I like having EW because it sounds quite different. I find EW excellent for runs if you write those, and its short articulations give you extra choices. I use all these libraries when I write, especially if it's a situation in which the samples will not all be replaced, or even in circumstances when they will be "sweetened" but not discarded.

The brass also has a different sound from the superb BML Spitfire libraries, so again it's for variety, not to replace.

I have been a fan of EW since their first large orchestral library in 2004 or so, and I continue to enjoy using them. The recorded samples are not "sanded smooth" which at times is not what one wants, but overall I'll take the liveliness of these samples over some other libraries any time.

I am a huge fan of Spitfire -- huge! -- but EW offers a different sound.

The only thing is that Hollywood Strings is really very demanding if you want to use the "powerful system patches" that have so many layers and legato -- caveat emptor etc. You can use just the "light" versions of the sounds, however, and those are far less demanding -- dramatically less so. I have my HS samples on a PCI-raid SSD setup which is very fast. It cost a bomb when I bought it but they are vastly less expensive today.

[not: I have received free products from East West]

Ashermusic

In my view, here is what it boils down to:

1. Spitfire is recorded in a lovely ambience but you are stuck with it. (I don't think personally the close mics sound so good.) The Hollywood Orchestra is pretty dry so you add your own ambience, but less sterile than VSL.

2. To get as complete and orchestra with as many articulations, you have to spend about 4x as much with Spitfire, although you have a head start as you already own some. CineSamples would also be considerably more than the Hollywood Orchestra for similar content. Ditto Berlin Orchestra.

3. You are going to want a powerful PC slave to run a full Diamond orchestra. I know Spitfire is among the more demanding of the Kontakt based libraries, but probably less than the Hollywood Orchestra, especially Hollywood Strings. VSL is less demanding than either.

So you have IMHO a lot of excellent choices, all with very different design philosophies. Personally, even if I had not worked for EW and been given the Hollywood Orchestra for free, it would have been my choice, which is why I spent my own money on a slave PC. But I totally respect those who prefer one of the others.

procreative

I own HW Strings, Brass and Woodwinds Diamond.

1. Strings definitely have the most articulations available, occasional design quirks such as only flautando on V2 not V1. Like most libraries to cut budgets some instruments have a greater range of antics than others.

2. If I was buying again, not sure would bother with Diamond for Strings as honestly of the above 3 the difference in Mics is negligible to my ears and on all 3 titles the Surround/Balcony Mics are almost pointless given that it was recorded in a large studio rather than a concert hall.

3. You need a super powerful system to run a complete orchestra. I have 2 slave PCs via VEP and it uses SATA3 SSDs and I have Strings on 1 and the rest on the other. Prior to that on one machine I had clicks and pops and other nastiness if I tried running more than about 8 tracks of EW Play stuff.

AllanH

I consider HO Orchestra one of the best purchases I've made. It took a fair bit of work to make it sound like I wanted, but there is no doubt that the sampling is detailed and very well done. It does not have the beautiful ambiance of some of the Spitfire libraries, but that also means HO mixes easily into any reverb/room. Highly recommended.

OP
newcreation08

newcreation08

Many thanks for all your detailed answers. I appreciate that very much and is helping me a lot in my decision! I think, sooner or later, a slave must enter the picture anyway :)

novaburst

Many thanks for all your detailed answers. I appreciate that very much and is helping me a lot in my decision! I think, sooner or later, a slave must enter the picture anyway :)

Your right there about slave computer but go get your library you have a good system,

I am also preparing for a slave computer for the very near future I think with this type of music its the only way forward and makes a lot of sense

At the moment I am ok as when I do get into trouble I just start converting the midi files into audio files and mute or remove the midi file it came from,

OP
newcreation08

newcreation08

Your right there about slave computer but go get your library you have a good system,

I am also preparing for a slave computer for the very near future I think with this type of music its the only way forward and makes a lot of sense

At the moment I am ok as when I do get into trouble I just start converting the midi files into audio files and mute or remove the midi file it came from,
I got it the Library :)
Yes, thats exactly the way i am doing it also ... just bounce a region in place, in case it causes troubles ....
Thanks!

tenyuhuang

Blockpainter™
I didn't have VSL so I'm not at liberty to compare Hollywood Strings with it, but I remembered Daniel James did a comparison between LASS and Hollywood Diamond. Check it on his channel, it may give you some hint on the strings part :D

Ashermusic

I didn't have VSL so I'm not at liberty to compare Hollywood Strings with it, but I remembered Daniel James did a comparison between LASS and Hollywood Diamond. Check it on his channel, it may give you some hint on the strings part :D
Do not check it out, IMHO, as it is a very unfair representation because HS is not used how HS is designed to be used. It is not a library for those who want instant gratification.

OP
newcreation08

newcreation08

Thanks tenyuhuang, i will check it out!

OP
newcreation08

newcreation08

Do not check it out, IMHO, as it is a very unfair representation because HS is not used how HS is designed to be used. It is not a library for those who want instant gratification.
I bought it anyway today and am just installing it. So ... it will work its way anyway :)
Thanks!

dcoscina

I own a lot the libraries you mentioned and I also have the Hollywood orchestra Silver and Gold series. I think they are excellent. I've been able to get terrific results just from the Silver collection. To me, the sounds are clear and pristine. Because I don't have Platinum I use Spaces to treat the sounds and find it very helpful. There are tons of articulations and they all sound uniformly great. I do film score and concert work type pieces.

Top Bottom