What's new

E.T. Flying theme mockup

I'd say better...yes. However I think it's a mixing issue at this point IF you want it to be closer to the original. Brass is still a tad low and winds should be fuller...strings are a bit overbearing...but better than before...so that's good :)
Hi Jake, thanks a lot. Yes, I do not expect to reach the original, or any level kind of close to a pro, but definitely take any chance to improve getting closer to the original sound.

I have checked your few "Middle east" tracks in your site, and they sound really stunning, flawless mix and bakance....Congrats Jake. And thanks again for your tips.

You're welcome, this is what the subforum is for, and I'm happy if I can help :) I also get an opportunity to play smart :D
I don't know what reverb you're using, sounded like an algorithmic one, they tend to be bright, so I usually to put an EQ on the reverb bus and reduce frequencies above 5k (and bellow 800Hz if I'm doing electronic, approximatelly). Some reverbs have these controls built in.
Ok, I get it now I think. Thanks Ivan! Next weekend I'll go for the final attempt!

Hi Jake, thanks a lot. Yes, I do not expect to reach the original, or any level kind of close to a pro, but definitely take any chance to improve getting closer to the original sound.

I have checked your few "Middle east" tracks in your site, and they sound really stunning, flawless mix and bakance....Congrats Jake. And thanks again for your tips.
Thank you :). Trying out some libraries. Next one is BBC pro mostly. ;)

Hi there... "final results". I give up for now, otherwise it'll become an obsession :confused:

Hope you guys like it, really many thanks for your pieces of advice! I treasure them!

Cheers and see you around!
Victor

Attachments

• 0430 Flying theme Master Initial Audio.mp3
    8.7 MB
Hi there... sorry I bring a "final" mix.... it took me a number of attempts :rofl:
1620813529915.png

I incorporated all comments received up to my own limits - i am far from being pro.

In some domestic speakers I get a little distortion in the last strong passages of the cue, do you think this is someting to get corrected or it just natural stuff?

Thanks a lot for your help already @jaketanner @Ivan M. and stay safe!
Victor

Attachments

• 0511 v4.7 Flying theme.mp3
    8.8 MB
Hi there... sorry I bring a "final" mix.... it took me a number of attempts :rofl:
1620813529915.png

I incorporated all comments received up to my own limits - i am far from being pro.

In some domestic speakers I get a little distortion in the last strong passages of the cue, do you think this is someting to get corrected or it just natural stuff?

Victor
Hey Victor...I think you've gone as far as you can go based off your experience. I mean it will never be like the real thing no matter how hard you try anyway...I think some of the balances are still off and too separated/clean sounding, but there is no sense in beating a dead horse...I think continuing to work on this will be counterproductive...don't lose sight of your end goal here...is it to sound realistic like the original, or are you trying to show off your programming chops, or did you do this as a learning experience for orchestration? Each comes with a set of critiques. I think if you are happy with it, then leave it and move on to something else before this consumes your life.. LOL

The best piece of advice I can offer at this point if you are still looking for that "perfection", is to simply keep A/B'ing yours to the original. So you would import the original into a track on top of your MIDI mockup. Group all MIDI tracks together...then use the solo button to toggle between the two in real time. You would need to be in solo cancel mode within your DAW...where one solo cancels the other, rather than they both stay on. Put small sections on a loop, and go back and forth this way so that you can make small changes. Think of it as you're painting a picture from a photo...you look at the photo side by side with your painting (if you are going for realism)...same thing here.

Best of luck.

Hey Victor...I think you've gone as far as you can go based off your experience. I mean it will never be like the real thing no matter how hard you try anyway...I think some of the balances are still off and too separated/clean sounding, but there is no sense in beating a dead horse...I think continuing to work on this will be counterproductive...don't lose sight of your end goal here...is it to sound realistic like the original, or are you trying to show off your programming chops, or did you do this as a learning experience for orchestration? Each comes with a set of critiques. I think if you are happy with it, then leave it and move on to something else before this consumes your life.. LOL

The best piece of advice I can offer at this point if you are still looking for that "perfection", is to simply keep A/B'ing yours to the original. So you would import the original into a track on top of your MIDI mockup. Group all MIDI tracks together...then use the solo button to toggle between the two in real time. You would need to be in solo cancel mode within your DAW...where one solo cancels the other, rather than they both stay on. Put small sections on a loop, and go back and forth this way so that you can make small changes. Think of it as you're painting a picture from a photo...you look at the photo side by side with your painting (if you are going for realism)...same thing here.

Best of luck.
Thanks a lot Jake! Yes, it was a learning and mimicing type of experience, and definitely I'm bringing it to an end, otherwise these cadences of chords will influence my compositions for life (lol). This one was my reference track - tempo track tightly adjusted.

What you say in the second parragraph is essentially what I did - after finding this option in cubase, key for this purpose. I just feared to overwhelm the mix with reverbs... I opted eventually for the natural VST room mic + hall reverb ad hoc for each stem. Subtly for sure, as I was risking the definition of key instruments. I guess this balance will get better overtime, or not. But I will try.

As said, I owe you a beer or two.
Cheers
Victor

PS By the way no mention to the little "domestic speakers" distortion at the end of the track, good signal I guess.

Thanks a lot Jake! Yes, it was a learning and mimicing type of experience, and definitely I'm bringing it to an end, otherwise these cadences of chords will influence my compositions for life (lol). This one was my reference track - tempo track tightly adjusted.

What you say in the second parragraph is essentially what I did - after finding this option in cubase, key for this purpose. I just feared to overwhelm the mix with reverbs... I opted eventually for the natural VST room mic + hall reverb ad hoc for each stem. Subtly for sure, as I was risking the definition of key instruments. I guess this balance will come overtime, or not. But I will try.

As said, I owe you a beer or two.
Cheers
Victor

Glad to help. For next time...do not use a live track as your reference unless you are referencing it for a very specific reason. Reference the original OST...this will be more to how the world has come to recognize the music. Many things in the live performances will be off from the original..and a mock up will almost NEVER ever sound live...(even though it was live in the studio)...a truly live performance should not even be attempted to be mocked up...LOL Anyway...try importing the original OST into your session and then try the a/b again. Just for your own reference and learning...then reference the OST against the live performance...also for your learning experience.

Glad to help. For next time...do not use a live track as your reference unless you are referencing it for a very specific reason. Reference the original OST...this will be more to how the world has come to recognize the music. Many things in the live performances will be off from the original..and a mock up will almost NEVER ever sound live...(even though it was live in the studio)...a truly live performance should not even be attempted to be mocked up...LOL Anyway...try importing the original OST into your session and then try the a/b again. Just for your own reference and learning...then reference the OST against the live performance...also for your learning experience.

:emoji_face_palm:

1620813529915.png

Victor

I really love how you did those strings! They sing! :)
And it's balanced much better now, definitelly.

I won't go into what I would do differently anymore. As Jake said, leave it at that. The more you work on something, the less you hear. Our perception gets adjusted to the sound, and we simply can't hear it properly anymore. Listen to it after a month or two, and see what you notice then :)

There are a lot of notes in this one, so it takes extra effort to do right. Why not pick something with less instruments, so that you can focus more on individual ones? A bit hypocritical advice from my side, as I mock up what I like, not what's simple haha. If we're gonna mock up these monstrosities of scores we might as well enjoy it :D

I really love how you did those strings! They sing! :)
And it's balanced much better now, definitelly.

I won't go into what I would do differently anymore. As Jake said, leave it at that. The more you work on something, the less you hear. Our perception gets adjusted to the sound, and we simply can't hear it properly anymore. Listen to it after a month or two, and see what you notice then :)

There are a lot of notes in this one, so it takes extra effort to do right. Why not pick something with less instruments, so that you can focus more on individual ones? A bit hypocritical advice from my side, as I mock up what I like, not what's simple haha. If we're gonna mock up these monstrosities of scores we might as well enjoy it :D
Many thanks for your empathy dude! Yes, the boys and I had a terrific time scoring that small lightened-finger monster :laugh: if on top of lots of fun, I also can take on board some learning... awesome then!

Let's move on.
Thanks a lot Ivan
Victor

Final result... many thanks to @jaketanner and @Ivan M. for your help. I am getting positive feedback from everywhere, and this is to a large extent due to your constructive challenge. I know there was still a large room for improvement, and I leave this for the next complex mock-up. Again thank you guys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom