What's new

Dune 3 is a surprising contender for score and film

Spire just has an attitude, and mid range tone that none of dune's drives quite replicated
the Hard FM in spire is where that synth is at for me, I love them both, but for particularly clangy tones, spire did what I wanted faster
Could you post an example?

I think I know what you mean. I've recently fallen in love with Bazille that has this wonderful FM/PD tone I don't think I could replicate anywhere else.

Could you post an example?

I think I know what you mean. I've recently fallen in love with Bazille that has this wonderful FM/PD tone I don't think I could replicate anywhere else.
Bazille is awesome, just streamed that one today, I know 100% for certain some of the sounds I could get out of bazille wouldn't happen with any other synth

I'm really glad to finally be testing some of these other synths out there, at one point (years ago) I honestly thought "every softsynth sounds the same" I just assumed they used the same code, or same math or something, maybe different features or ranges

but they really do all have their own character

For cinematic, I think the two Dune 3 preset packs on sale at the moment at Bellatrix Audio sounds extremely promising. Down from close to $60 to around $5 for both (sold separately). Incantation Part 1 and Hypnotic.

They really have me interested in Dune 3 again.

I generally do sound design with samples and use a lot of presets with synths at the moment (I'm learning to patch; slowly). So having a few preset collections I'm keen on makes a difference to my choices.

Bazille still seems ahead of the rest for me so far.

fun fact. the virus ti was hans zimmer go to synth for a lot of cinematic stuff. until zebra later replace it or he starred using it more.

the dune3 is obvously taking a lot of the virus ti plus it has the flexible envelopes and other cool stuff. sadly that tiny blue screen kills me. it could be pop up or somehting but its tiny now. oh well. still very cool.

making 3rd party presets for synths makes more sense when there is a bigger market. like zebra2 or omni where it will sure sell enough copies to warrant the time spent making them. im hopeful dune3 will catch on as well as pigments.

sadly that tiny blue screen kills me. it could be pop up or somehting but its tiny now. oh well.
Now that Synapse has implemented a dedicated UI for browsing presets in v3.5 seems like the next logical step will be doing similar for the arp and mod matrix.

im hopeful dune3 will catch on as well as pigments.
Same. Dune sounds amazing but it's dragged down by its UI.

Yeah I'll likely be doing a DUNE pack in the next year, I already have a lot of presets for it, and it does certain sounds I've been trying to make very well

fun fact. the virus ti was hans zimmer go to synth for a lot of cinematic stuff. until zebra later replace it or he starred using it more.

the dune3 is obvously taking a lot of the virus ti plus it has the flexible envelopes and other cool stuff. sadly that tiny blue screen kills me. it could be pop up or somehting but its tiny now. oh well. still very cool.

making 3rd party presets for synths makes more sense when there is a bigger market. like zebra2 or omni where it will sure sell enough copies to warrant the time spent making them. im hopeful dune3 will catch on as well as pigments.

What exactly is Virus? Always heard about it but never seen it, does it even exist anymore?

What exactly is Virus? Always heard about it but never seen it, does it even exist anymore?
The Access Virus is probably one of the most famous series of VA hardware synths of all time.

It's used everywhere but specially in EDM and films.

It saw a recent video of Harry Gregson-Williams and he is still using it. Everyone has used it at one point or another. HZ was a big fan of the Virus 20 years ago I think.

Edit:

Here's HZ rack of synths from 2002, and of course there are 3 Virus synths there.

1637962983923.png

Found it here:

Last edited:
The Access Virus is probably one of the most famous series of VA hardware synths of all time.

It's used everywhere but specially in EDM and films.

It saw a recent video of Harry Gregson-Williams and he is still using it. Everyone has used it at one point or another. HZ was a big fan of the Virus 20 years ago I think.

Edit:

Here's HZ rack of synths from 2002, and of course there are 3 Virus synths there.

1637962983923.png

Found it here:

No plugin of it? I’ve never seen a single thing about it

I'm very happy to see that Dune is finally getting the recognition it deserves :) It's still my main synth (and I am still on Dune 2 hehe).

This whole track - synth wise - is 100% Dune 2, all custom patches that I made for the track.
Only supported by DM-307 for the percussion and Vocalize by Heavyocity and Nucleus Lite's choir for the vocal parts.

I'm currently working on a new futuristic cyberpunk track and crafted all the patches for it on Dune 2,
after all these years that synth just feels like home to me, I find the UI so pleasant to use.

Last edited:
You can use a plugin to control the hardware on the latest versions. It's called Total Integration.

There was also an official plugin for the TC PowerCore DSP units.

Sylenth, Dune, Spire, and Predator were heavily inspired by it.

Then there is Viper, which some say is the closest emulation ever made. Only for Windows though.

I promise I’m gonna buy Dune one of these days!! Just gotta get some debt paid off first lol

Nooooo!

You really gotta upgrade to v3 man. The new filters are amazing.
I've tried the demo and liked it, but currently there's so much other stuff I want to expand my gear with. And except the dual filters there's not so much new stuff that amazed me to justify the upgrade price, I am really happy with Dune 2. :cool:

Maybe one day.. when Dune 4 comes out and the upgrade is a major one.

Last edited:
Seriously, who makes something and doesn’t make it available for Mac, stupid
I could be very wrong if I've mixed up synths, but I believe this synth is developed by a small developer working in their spare time and that it is fairly recent. The chances are they merely haven't finished the port over to Mac yet.

Edit to add: Whoops! It's been out for three years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom