Duet for Cello & Piano

Oouzha

I'm a new member here, and this is my first post in which I include my music.

This is also my very first composition using the latest virtual instruments. My last sequenced piece of music prior to this might be ten or twelve years old now.

I'm very much interested in hearing people's feedback concerning the composition, as well as use of East West's cello gold. You won't hurt my feelings—I'm looking for honest reactions in every way.

Thanks for your feedback!

Peter

nineofkings

I think it's quite pretty. The very mellow, dark tone of the piano sounds very romantic/early 20th century. It nicely contrasts the bright cello. I like the smooth modulations; they support the fanciful, mysterious tone of the piece. I wish it was a little more clear which instrument is supposed to be taking the lead at any given point, however, and the ending is a little abrupt.

OP
Oouzha

Oouzha

I think it's quite pretty. The very mellow, dark tone of the piano sounds very romantic/early 20th century. It nicely contrasts the bright cello. I like the smooth modulations; they support the fanciful, mysterious tone of the piece. I wish it was a little more clear which instrument is supposed to be taking the lead at any given point, however, and the ending is a little abrupt.
Thanks! Good feedback about which voice is "leading"; I'd not considered that angle. I agree the ending is abrupt. I think it's partly because the piece lacks a decent climax, but I could be wrong. It may also be because the entire first portion has no return of any kind. I'd like to extend this piece. Thanks for your thoughts!

kkproductions

Beautiful composition and great sound quality.

My one comment on the cello is that the attacks are a little too slow to make it believable. Each note sounds like I new bowing, rather than true legato.

OP
Oouzha

Oouzha

Beautiful composition and great sound quality.

My one comment on the cello is that the attacks are a little too slow to make it believable. Each note sounds like I new bowing, rather than true legato.
Excellent, thank you. I'll study some real cello performances to address this when I revisit this piece!