What's new

Duel Intel Xeon E5-2697 v4

Dual CPU systems come with penalties to cache latency and especially memory access latency. Threading is a huge problem for Cubase with people having to implement registry changes to get performance from machines with more than a certain number of cores, this being a windows issue.
If you want to reduce the number of machines you own, acquire an i9 system with 14-16 cores, that being a sweet spot for price vs. performance, get 128gb of ram and a low latency interface, which you already own.
If you need slave systems, get some 64gb overclocked quad or hexa core i7s.
If you desperately need fast networking, go 10 Gbit, but either have someone who knows LAN implement it for you or get to grips with packet prio and traffic flow and optimize it yourself.
I disagree strongly with the marketing notion that dual xeon systems are good for low-latency midi applications with VIs. The platform is inherently higher latency, the frequency is slower, and the six-channel ECC RAM is the opposite of what we need as composers. The computer sold by the company above is very capable for specific workloads, but I cannot overstate how much I caution you against buying it for what you want it to do.

I miss understood you I thought you referred Asusboard I purchased,haha,okey yes the LGA 2011-3 is 2+years, isn't that old...?

I'm still using a Mac Pro 5,1 I updated to max specs (12 core) and a PC with an i7 2600k in it... so a couple of years isn't old to me. I shall look into an i9 for main computer as I'm not sure what to get now.

Is it possible to dual i9s with high clock speeds or is that the permanent trade off from dual CPUs(more cores, lower clock speeds)?

Reactions: URL
I'm still using a Mac Pro 5,1 I updated to max specs (12 core) and a PC with an i7 2600k in it... so a couple of years isn't old to me. I shall look into an i9 for main computer as I'm not sure what to get now.

Is it possible to dual i9s with high clock speeds or is that the permanent trade off from dual CPUs(more cores, lower clock speeds)?
Forget the dual cpu business. It is entirely unsuitable for your needs as a composer.

There are people that use 18-core and Cubase, look at Cubase forum. OC 18-core to 4,5Ghz and the electricity bill is
on the limit, and lamps start blinking;). I also want 18-core to expensive, I go to UAD-Cards and I use them to their limit to and choose Cpu 10-core, but Im sure 10-core gonna be to slow in 2 years time...:cool:

Last edited:
How do you get,microsoft's registry edit change?
Open a support ticket. I personally use 14 cores at 4.5 and I saturate 128 gb of ram way before I achieve even near a level of polyphony that would endanger real time performanceand that is with 128 buffers, no vepro in the middle and heavy algorithmic reverbs and mixing plugins. Naturally, I am somewhat hesitant to overtly recommend the 18-core sku...

Open a support ticket. I personally use 14 cores at 4.5 and I saturate 128 gb of ram way before I achieve even near a level of polyphony that would endanger real time performanceand that is with 128 buffers, no vepro in the middle and heavy algorithmic reverbs and mixing plugins. Naturally, I am somewhat hesitant to overtly recommend the 18-core sku...

That's great to know! Thanks!

Thanks Sami, support ticket at Microsoft I suppose?, yes 18-core is nice but...

No, at Steinberg's! Just contact them, tell them what CPU you got, say that you know about the edit and that you want some ;) They are kind of strange about the thing, I guess they have reasons for it. They are kindly ask ppl not to share it publicly.

Last edited:
No, at Steinberg's! Just contact them, tell them what CPU you got, say that you know about the edit and that you want some ;) They are kind of strange about the thing, I guess they have reasons for it. They are kindly ask ppl not to share it publicly.

Ah, that is fun, thanks I will have a chat with them:cautious::)

I take it you are running a large template all on one machine yes? How many tracks do you have? Are they enabled?

VisionDaw do "Windows 7 or 10* Professional - Tweaked and Optimized" , what is that, firewall/antivirus, windows update, energy savings not active, more?

Top Bottom