What's new

Duel Intel Xeon E5-2697 v4

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I’m starting to seriously think about building a new PC to use exclusively with Cubase (eventually a couple of new slaves too) and I have been looking at Dual 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2697 v4 CPUs and wondering whether anyone here has experience with them?

I’m thinking a few 36 Core beasts are the way forward :)

Also, been looking at this motherboard...

Asus - Z10PE-D16 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Oh really? I thought having more cores is a good thing for a Slave. Sure, the master computer could do with a fast clock speed. Perhaps I should rethink building the master and then different computers for slaves?

Why old gear...?
I ordered this MB with I9 CPU, Asus WS x299 Sage/10G/TB/128 Ram Socket 2066.:)

I went onto Vision DAW and they build workstations (for RCP) with the Xeon 2690 (dual 14 core) and I was thinking if it’s good enough for them etc

I thought it was only two years since it’s release?
No this is new arrived in June..., I haven't arrived yet I get this Mb next week Ihope this is the one with 10G network on the Mb with thunderbolt and 7 Pci-e slots...I have 2UAD and I want more cards to make room for.
They have done one bios upgrade so its alive:)

Oh really? I thought having more cores is a good thing for a Slave. Sure, the master computer could do with a fast clock speed. Perhaps I should rethink building the master and then different computers for slaves?
Ya but an i9 should already be more than enough for a slave. I guess maybe if you're trying to run a low buffer you might top it out then but the Xeon probably wouldn't work much better either. Using a single i9 computer should be able to handle everything you need. The only time my 5820k tops out is with mastering. It's fine with anything else. An i9 slave I recently built for someone can handle anything. Many of the top film composers are running a single slave and in most cases could run their DAW + PT on that computer as well.

I went onto Vision DAW and they build workstations (for RCP) with the Xeon 2690 (dual 14 core) and I was thinking if it’s good enough for them etc

yeah but nice price on Visiondaw?, they build I9 also, there are Xenon for LGA 2066, but they are a little slower than I9 for master DAW. I have "old" Xenon as slaves and they are cool , the old one use 85 watt on a LGA 2011-3 Asus M-board, works great.Watt consumption is something to consider.

Last edited:
yeah but nice price on Visiondaw?, they build I9 also, there are Xenon for LGA 2066, but they are a little slower than I9 for master DAW. I have "old" Xenon as slaves ande they are cool , the old one use 85 watt on a LGA 2011-3 Asus M-board, works great.Watt consumption is something to consider.

Ok, well, I would never pay that kind of money as I could buy the parts secondhand and save a fortune. So, for Slaves, I should go more cores and for master, faster clock speed with less cores?

I’m now feeling confused. Here is a screen shot of what Vision DAW say about their Dual 14 Core Xeon Server machine...

25150AE1-675F-4D4F-965B-1A0F6ADD60D3.png

“This workstation is ideally suited to be used as Main DAW Workstation (Cubase etc)”

You can build a similar setup with workstation board that have more Pci-e slots and 10G network/TB and well 128Ram
with the Mb I have ordered and the I9 GHz you can overclock, this Xenon is locked, so I can't recommend but.
Master DAW
Asus WS Rage 10G
I9 X 10 Core
Pc Slaves
8-core Xenon "Old"
10G network/netgear switch
Win 10 Pro

If you wanna find the optimum in High Performance that is not too costly for master DAW and do not use too much power then I would recommend Xenon as slaves/master who consume small amount:) watts they are really stable. Master Daw with high clock speed and several core is the way to go, but if you need 18-core to be satisfied no, you can think about whether it's worth it. A 18-core I9 in full action consume up to 500-700 watt and that is not cool.

A 10/12-core with clock speed around 4GHz or higher if you have a engine room where you can cool with multiple fans/water. I will use an I9 10-core with clock speed 3.5-4.0Ghz with 2 slaves(machine room), if you go too high in Ghz it gets hot.
But what the optimal DAW design is for price and performance is hard to say. But using a dedicated computer for mixing is preferable. So to answer your question, both parts are important to a certain level of core and frequency, since I find it impossible to determine without testing what gives better results ...Daw program/plugins/softsynth how they use core is impossible to know... I have checked the core balance when mixing huge template and there are som unbalance in the core some are more used then other when there is heavy load of plugins etc.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope I can help anyway.:)

Last edited:
You can build a similar setup with workstation board that have more Pci-e slots and 10G network/TB and well 128Ram
with the Mb I have ordered and the I9 GHz you can overclock, this Xenon is locked, so I can't recommend but I will go this way.
MasterDaw
Asus WS Rage 10G
I9 X 10core.
Pc Slaves
8core Xenon "old"
10G network/netgear Switch
10G cards Intel 550
Samsung SSD
Win 10 Pro

If you wanna find the optimum in High Performance that is not too costly for master DAW and do not use too much power then I would recommend Xenon as slaves/master who consume small amount:) watts they are really stable. Master Daw with high clock speed and several core is the way to go, but if you need 18-core to be satisfied no, you can think about whether it's worth it. A 18-core I9 in full action consume up to 500-700 watt and that is not cool.

A 10/12-core with clock speed around 4GHz or higher if you have a engine room where you can cool with multiple fans/water. I will use an I9 10-core with clock speed 3.5-4.0Ghz with 2 slaves(machine room), if you go too high in Ghz it gets hot.
But what the optimal DAW design is for price and performance is hard to say. But using a dedicated computer for mixing is preferable. So to answer your question, both parts are important to a certain level of core and frequency, since I find it impossible to determine without testing what gives better results ...Daw program/plugins/softsynth how they use core is impossible to know... I have checked the core balance when mixing huge template and there are som unbalance in the core some are more used then other when there is heavy load of plugins etc.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope I can help anyway.:)

Thanks. I’ve just messaged Vision DAW with a few questions and you have answered a few of them. I don’t want to invest in the wrong thing but I also don’t want to invest in computers that aren’t a massive upgrade to what I have. I’d rather have a huge amount of computing horsepower than not enough! :)

Reactions: URL
Thanks. I’ve just messaged Vision DAW with a few questions and you have answered a few of them. I don’t want to invest in the wrong thing but I also don’t want to invest in computers that aren’t a massive upgrade to what I have. I’d rather have a huge amount of computing horsepower than not enough! :)

Does having a 10gb LAN connection help with latency from VEPro? Curious to how noticeable the difference between 1gb and 10gb.

There is a test on You Tube about this, personally I didn't expect a difference, but there is a advantage for 10G when using multiple slaves an of course heavy load on the net. Check this, I will see if I find the test about 10G.

its all about the speed-this is one, not the one that explain the theory about this ,

I have a similar setup with the older dual E5-2690 v1, and the equivalent older asus motherboard that you are looking at. I got it all for a great price and it is super stable so I am really satisfied with it. But I do not think they will provide the performance you expect from the price, v4 xeons are still current gen so I don't know how you could possibly get them at a reasonable price. And the problem is the very low clock speed + the issue of dual cpu's do not scale even close to linearly, at best you might get the performance of about 1.6 cpu's not 2.

I'd probably look at an i9 or a threadripper: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2697-V4-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-2950X/m233836vsm569025

When upgrade a computer for Daw or slave why use components that have been out there for 2-3 years, computers get old to fast, I always get the latest if need to upgrade. I'm interested what kind of optimization Vison Daw does for their setup, is there a huge secret...no active firewall/no power save on etc.?

Top Bottom