Dual Monitors with 2 different types of monitors?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by MillsMixx, Mar 15, 2019.

1. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    I'm going to be purchasing a couple new monitors for my DAW but also use it for Video Editing so I'm looking at getting a 32" 4K IPS Panel with a 64k refresh rate. Maybe also use it some light gaming although not the type of monitor for gaming.

For a dual monitor setup...
    does anyone here know from experience if it will work having 1 4K monitor of a larger size, and 1 just a standard 23 inch that's not 4K with different resolutions and maybe refresh rates?

I'm curious if I would run into trouble with scaling, refresh rates, or if I move the mouse from one screen to another if it'll cause lag, or any weird issues.

Otherwise I would probably just get 2 exact same 4K monitors, same brand, same size, etc..

I saw a couple YouTube videos where people had trouble with setups like that.

The 4K 32" is the one I really want and hoping to just keep my old monitor as screen #2.

I have a Nvdia GMX GeForce 1080 TI for a card. Any advice would be helpful before I purchase. Thanks

2. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    it works fine. And I have a $100 card, not a car-priced one like yours.

3. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Is anyone aware of any study, research or even just theory about health implications of long-term use of multimonitor setups? I've been using tripple-screen setups for years and it just occurred to me how weird it would feel to just disable the outer two screens and just work with one. I wonder if that's a bad sign, similar to how people get addicted to smartphones and it makes them feel weird when you take it away from them.

4. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've heard that vaccinations cause multiple monitors.

MartinH. likes this.
  5. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Well, that would explain why I have a lot of both.

If one of the screens has a higher pixel density (4k on 32 inch should have roughly 50% more pixels per inch than 1080p on 23 inch), then I'd expect everything on the higher res monitor to look smaller and thus the mouse move slower subjectively. I'd likely find that annoying.

I don't think 64k is the right unit for refresh rates. Hz maybe, but I didn't know there are screens with 64hz refresh rates. 60 was common for a long time, and significantly higher ones are available now, but I don't think I've ever heard of 64 hz.

6. Killiard

Killiard Active Member

Jan 26, 2014
    I run a 4K screen, a 1440p and a 1080p screen. All three run perfectly happily with each other!