Dry Library for intimate "character" strings (sound examples in post)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by cairnan, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Icelandic String Octet played on that recording, which suggests that even a chamber orchestra would somehow be overkill if the goal is to create something similar to the Joga strings.

Here's a live version:

Slightly off topic, but this is also is also an interesting and very nice amateur version of Joga:

Casiquire and Saxer like this.
  2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Yepp, absolutely.
    For the Björk-example I'd use a chamber library and add a few CSSS solo strings on top.

3. eli0s

eli0s Member

Dec 23, 2016
    CSSS with the close mic will sound very close to the first example, except from the pitchwheel modulation. CS Series doesn't support pitchwheel bending.

4. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    CSSS has a very studio sounding progressive vibrato baked it. Beautiful tone of course, but I'd say that this is what's going to be the limiting factor in reproducing something like this - you're just going to be very limited in capturing to precise phrasings. Especially in the live version above where you can't hide behind an ensemble.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  5. eli0s

eli0s Member

Dec 23, 2016
    With some effort you can control the vibrato. There are cross points where the transition from non vibrato to vibrato is sounding very natural. But it requires some fiddling around and it isn't always doable.

ism and Saxer like this.
  6. MOMA

MOMA Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I´ve done some pieces using the CSSS and doubled up the solo instruments step by step. Close, yet full bodied. Then if you like to top it up with even more presence you can go for the Joshua Bell solo violin to get true emotional feel to the piece.

MOMA

ism likes this.
  7. Dietz

Dietz Space Explorer

Dimension Strings would be my first call. :)

8. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
  9. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I think you'll need a combination to get to this sound. LASS could do it but i think you'd benefit from a good controllable set of soloists with even less room tone, such as Chris Hein or Dimension Strings, to blend in, give it more detail, and push back against the swell and gentle movement LASS has. Dimension Strings could also do it, but LASS has a more natural sound which i think would help as well. I don't think the First Chairs can give you that extra something because they blend straight into the ensemble and there are no non vibrato patches in the first chairs.

cairnan likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    cairnan

cairnan New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    If anyone else is researching dry libraries / curious, with EDU discounts, I ended up going with Spitfire Studio Strings Professional and the Embertone ISS Solo bundle, since those together were about the same cost as LASS alone is right now. If not for the discounts, would have gone with ISS Bundle and LASS.

Studio Strings Professional is holding up pretty well - I have a slight preference for the LASS sound, but SStP is also very dry, has tons of articulations, and sounds great. Definitely a good 'workhorse' library that's similar to the LASS sound, but more clean and polished / less 'character'. So which one you like more depends on which of those two things you're after!

The Embertone ISS is recorded dry as well, and also sounds great. To my ears, like LASS, it has a pleasant woody and intimate sound. Very performative, and with just a little tweaking and reverb, it's phenomenal. To me, it stands in contrast to the super clean Chris Hein sound, which is also amazing. Again, depends on what sound you're after.

Thanks all for the help / recommendations!

cairnan

11. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    Seems like a good choice to me. Congrats! If this had been around when I purchased LASS I might have made the same decision, plus SSSPro has a lot more arts than LASS but not as many Divisi sectons. It would be awesome for someone to do a detailed comparison between these two someday but I have a feeling that people who own SSSPro don't own Lass and Vice Versa, plus all of us LASS users are awaiting the much anticipated LASS 3:scout:

sostenuto and cairnan like this.
  12. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Sounds like an electric violin to me.

13. sostenuto

sostenuto My Buddies

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Have lusted after LASS Full 2.5 forever …. but 'sale' at $700. and Strezov Afflatus at 'full-price' ~$900.
    LASS initially ~ 2011 ?? Dunno …… :unsure:

14. OP
    OP
    cairnan

cairnan New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    LASS Full 2.5 is currently $557 on the AudioBro site for the Spring Sale. The lowest it's been I think

15. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Yeah, it does. To me, it just sounds terrible. No phrasing, crescendos that make no sense. I'd try to find a sample library that "doesn't" sound like that. ;)

Saxer likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    cairnan

cairnan New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Sorry, I'm still pretty new to string work. Does sounding 'sampled' in this context mean sounding like something too obviously from a string library / software? 'Sampled' could mean either recorded as a real instrument, or 'made with samples', which are practically opposites.

17. sostenuto

sostenuto My Buddies

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Agreed. Price has been stable for some time. LASS Bundle was my price reference and likely preference going forward.

18. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Funny thing about LASS... I bought it years ago but found it difficult to use. I recently pulled up an unfinished track from a few years ago that used LASS and I was blown away. I couldn't believe how good it sounded, especially the first chairs. And that divisi, oh my. Sometimes we get sucked into the trap of newer = better, but sometimes the oldies are goodies. I just wish it was easier to use.

So yes, LASS will give you a nice first chair. Bohemian Violin and Cello have a nice raw sound as well.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  19. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    I thought it actually sounds like something that was done with a sample library/virtual instrument. No idea which one, but it sounds sample-y to me.

20. Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Yes, the first track definitely sounds sampl-y, and I also agree with the thing about using a chamber library with solo strings on top, even if the original recording most likely is done with two cellos, two violas and four violins - because it's not always easy to make things sound good with two violas or cellos (or basses or violins). 3-4 players or more sound like a small ensemble, with only two it can easily sound out of tune.

Another option would be - as others already have suggested - to use solo libraries, but at least three of each player. (Or even better: find someone who can play this on real instruments! :) )

cairnan likes this.