What's new

Drum pad to record MIDI input?

SimonViklund

Hi,

I'd like to rent a drum pad so that I can input percussion patterns into my DAW (it'll be Reaper or Ableton Live, PC) - and I'd like to hear suggestions for what brand/model of drum pad to get.

Whether the drum pad can play samples (stored in the drum pad itself) or if it allows you to load your own samples into it, I don't care - I won't use that feature. I want the drum pad to trigger KONTAKT percussion libraries on my computer, and I want my computer to register and record the MIDI input from the drum pad (note triggers and velocity, essentially.) I'd like to be able to choose what sound in the KONTAKT library each pad on the drum pad unit triggers.

Would a Nord Drum 3 be good for that? If so, what would I need in terms of cables or extra hardware? My audio interface doesn't have MIDI connections, but I guess everything is USB these days?

EDIT: I just checked photos of the Nord Drum 3, and it doesn't seem to have a USB connection - so maybe that one's not for me.

If you have a suggestions for some other brand/model of drum pad, please let me know whether it is USB or some other connection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom