1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drum Mixer Best Practices

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by GeneraStudios, Aug 10, 2018.

1. GeneraStudios

GeneraStudios Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Hello everyone,

If I wanted to create a drum instrument with dedicated volume and pan for each drum (bass, snare, HH, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3, OH-L and OH-R), and then also have a dedicated overhead fader to blend each drum into the OH, and maybe also a section to fade in each drum's room sound, what would be the most efficient way to do this?

Each drum hit will have ~14 tracks but since i'm not focusing on all bleed controls, I could bounce this down to maybe 4 or 5 tracks. If I want to control all 5 tracks of this in some manner, do I really need 5 groups JUST for the snare? Then I would end up with like 50 groups for the whole kit, and probably a whole lot of manual work to set up each group properly and keep it straight.

Is there a better way? Maybe a way to set the volume in KSP of a specific sample? This way 1 group could have all the close hits, another all the room hits, another the OHL hits etc. If this crazy amount of groups is required so be it, I just don't want to get into this rabbit whole without hearing if there are better ways.

Thanks,
    --
    Andrew

2. jfino

jfino Senior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Why 5 groups?
    You'll probably have Close, Room and Overhead, Whats in the the other 2 groups?

3. OP
    OP
    GeneraStudios

GeneraStudios Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Well for the case of snare it would be top mic, bottom mic, room, and the OH's (either combined or separate). Not sure if for BD we're doing more than one mic or not. Just trying to sketch out the worst case example :P.

4. stigma

stigma Stigmatized Productions

Aug 8, 2015
    Greece
    If you want to have a "real" representation of your drumkit you must have recorded and separated every different source of every different mic(in order to have a full control over the drumkit)...
    So in this senario you must have groups for....
    Kick=(kick direct,kick to oh,kick to room,kick to snaretop,kick to snarebottom,kick to tom1,kick to tom2,kick to tom3,kick to floor)...of course in this way you have to deal with a big number of different groups(a good way to reduce groups is to blend the last 6 "bleed"groups so you will finally have a total of 4 groups for your kick)...and you will be able to control every aspect of the kick in your sound.

The same approach must be with every different drumpiece so in this situation you will have
    5 groups for snare(top,bottom,oh,room,bleed)
    4 groups for tom1(direct,oh,room,bleed)
    4 groups for tom2(direct,oh,room,bleed)
    4 groups for tom3(direct,oh,room,bleed)
    4 groups for floor(direct,oh,room,bleed)
    4 groups for hihat(direct,oh,room,bleed)
    4 groups for ride(direct,oh,room,bleed)
    3 groups for crash1(oh,room,bleed)
    3 groups for crash2(oh,room,bleed)
    3 groups for crash3(oh,room,bleed)
    3 groups for china(oh,room,bleed)
    Then you must route every different kind of groups to different busses something like this...

Direct sources...
    Kick direct-->bus1
    snare top-->bus2
    snare bottom-->bus3
    hihat direct-->bus4
    tom1 direct-->bus5
    tom2 direct-->bus6
    tom3 direct-->bus7
    floor direct-->bus8
    ride direct-->bus9

oh sources...
    Kick oh+snare oh+tom1 oh+tom2 oh+tom3 oh+floor oh
    +crash1 oh+crash2 oh+crash3 oh+china oh-->bus10
    room sources...
    Kick room+snare room+tom1 room+tom2 room+tom3 room+floor room
    +crash1 room+crash2 room+crash3 room+china room-->bus11
    bleed sources...
    Kick bleed+snare bleed+tom1 bleed+tom2 bleed+tom3 bleed+floor bleed
    +crash1 bleed+crash2 bleed+crash3 bleed+china bleed-->bus12

It looks complicated but trust me this is the way to have a real view of your kit without sacrificing anything
    and control anything to any level(group level,bus level).

Dimitris