What's new

Dragonfly Reverb - Very Nice Free Reverb

I really like how it has so many parameters to feed into each other and add movement. Had also thought about the Room feeding into Hall thing and sat down and did a test:
https://instaud.io/private/e4165cd0a4ce500fc5c0fea77df17db9300cfa1c

(Fairly Dry > Room [for some dimension and movement] > Room + Hall [plus longer, wetter, dreamier tail])

Just a few minutes messing between the two on the master, didn't want to spend hours on busses and separate sections. Obvious benefit is you add more movement and richness. It needs some care to not overdo it, especially with wet levels and dampings, but it sounds rather nice I guess.

i haven't had a chance to do any direct comparisons with my other reverbs.

and from what i've read, this is a developed freeverb algo.

but i REALLY like this one - it seems extraordinarily natural.

am i imagining this?

i'll do a head to head with my faves in the next week or so.

but i REALLY like this one - it seems extraordinarily natural.

am i imagining this?
What I have learned since starting this project is that people have very very different opinions about what they want in a reverb. Some people absolutely love Dragonfly Reverb, other people just kind of shrug, and others use terms like "junk" (or worse) to describe it.

What I have learned since starting this project is that people have very very different opinions about what they want in a reverb. Some people absolutely love Dragonfly Reverb, other people just kind of shrug, and others use terms like "junk" (or worse) to describe it.

Whatever works for everyone... I'm glad the option exists.

I've discovered that I have different opinions from day to day. I demo'ed the Exponential Audio reverbs a few months ago and actively disliked them.

They went on sale after being acquired by Izotope. Idiot that I am, that convinced me to buy them anyways, in spite of my initial impression.

Now, Nimbus and R4 are two of my favorites. I've learned how to use them, and now I find other (very lovely) reverbs to be a little limiting.

Moral of the story - one man's junk is that same man's treasure after he spends money on it against his own better judgement.

Reactions: Dex
I'm trying to try out Dragonfly in Vienna Ensemble Pro since I'm on Mac and in Logic. I loaded the VSTs to the proper place and can bring up the plugin, but it doesn't seem to respond to any incoming signal. Is there more that I need to do aside from just adding the vsts to my plugin folder?

thanks!

I'm trying to try out Dragonfly in Vienna Ensemble Pro since I'm on Mac and in Logic. I loaded the VSTs to the proper place and can bring up the plugin, but it doesn't seem to respond to any incoming signal. Is there more that I need to do aside from just adding the vsts to my plugin folder?

thanks!
Sorry, I'm not sure how to get Dragonfly working in Logic. Seems like somebody once said they had it working via some adapter, but I don't have any more information than that.

Dragonfly is made using a framework called DPF, and there has been some effort to make DPF support making AU plugins. It looks like this effort has stalled for now, but I'm hoping it picks up again.

thanks!
Hello, I am using Dragonfly on Logic thru Vienna Ensemble Pro. I will post here tomorrow snapshots of the configuration. You have to create an Aux bus + Instrument channel + Enable the VEP server with a Bus channel where the Dragonfly plugin is inserted. Also you have to insert into the Aux Bus and into the Instrument channel an IO interface to enable the "way out" (1-2 or 3-4, etc) and let them disable. Is a workaround in Logic. Tomorrow with links, snapshots and video link.

Sorry Michael, I wasn't clear. I'm using it in Vienna Enseble Pro, which does does work with VST plugins.

For installing on Macos, do I need to do anything more than just copying the VST plugins to my plugin folder?

Sorry, I'm not sure how to get Dragonfly working in Logic. Seems like somebody once said they had it working via some adapter, but I don't have any more information than that.

Dragonfly is made using a framework called DPF, and there has been some effort to make DPF support making AU plugins. It looks like this effort has stalled for now, but I'm hoping it picks up again.

Thanks! I just tried it on one of the channels in a VEP7 instance, and it didn't see any audio coming into it.

Hello, I am using Dragonfly on Logic thru Vienna Ensemble Pro. I will post here tomorrow snapshots of the configuration. You have to create an Aux bus + Instrument channel + Enable the VEP server with a Bus channel where the Dragonfly plugin is inserted. Also you have to insert into the Aux Bus and into the Instrument channel an IO interface to enable the "way out" (1-2 or 3-4, etc) and let them disable. Is a workaround in Logic. Tomorrow with links, snapshots and video link.

I am not sture any more which was the order of the steps, but you will manage it!

step 1)

-create an "instrument channel/track)"

dragonfly-instrument track.png

- put/insert in there "Vienna Ensemble Pro"

dragonfly-VEP.png

- put/insert in there "iO utility"

dragonfly-instrumentIO.png

- allow output 1-2 by the io utility, and disable it, "switch off"

Last edited:
step 2)

- create an AUX channel (by the mixer)

dragonfly-AUXUNITY.png