What's new

Dragonfly Reverb - Very Nice Free Reverb

Nice, it can sound pretty massive. Just a couple of things:
1. Sudden/constant movements in pre-delay, size and wet levels cause clicks and crackles; pretty sure it's not CPU (~0,5% use at the time), it just seems the plugin doesn't like sudden changes. It also shows up in the render, not just in real-time.
2. When I automated the wet level (from 0 to whatever) the graphic stopped working. If you disable and re-enable it just updates to correspond to the point it was enabled and then freezes again (not a huge issue)

You can hear the click at about 1:36-1:38 here (it just gradually changes the wet level throughout but at that point it jumps instantly from 0 to 40%):
https://instaud.io/private/715767b7c9208283377589be36dd7d8c9dd13f91

Maybe you should be able to disable the graphic? It seems it can potentially cause issues. And saving presets would be nice. Not necessary, but probably better for sharing settings without posting a whole project if you want to.

But, for free, you can't really complain. Good job anyhow.

1. Sudden/constant movements in pre-delay, size and wet levels cause clicks and crackles; pretty sure it's not CPU (~0,5% use at the time), it just seems the plugin doesn't like sudden changes. It also shows up in the render, not just in real-time.
2. When I automated the wet level (from 0 to whatever) the graphic stopped working. If you disable and re-enable it just updates to correspond to the point it was enabled and then freezes again (not a huge issue)

You can hear the click at about 1:36-1:38 here (it just gradually changes the wet level throughout but at that point it jumps instantly from 0 to 40%):
https://instaud.io/private/715767b7c9208283377589be36dd7d8c9dd13f91

Maybe you should be able to disable the graphic? It seems it can potentially cause issues. And saving presets would be nice. Not necessary, but probably better for sharing settings without posting a whole project if you want to.

same here

same here

What DAW(s) are you two using? Which version of Dragonfly do you have? If it's one of the new beta releases, do you experience these bugs in the Hall plugin or the Room one?

I'm aware that some of the dials cause a crackle, but mostly people have reported the problem on the modulation dials like spin and wander. I haven't had this problem with the basic settings like levels, predelay, and size. With that said, I don't think freeverb3 is designed for real time automation; I didn't write the algorithms, I have just wrapped them up in what I hope are some nicer plugins than you get from freeverb3vst.

I'm also aware that some people want a way to disable the spectrogram, I'm thinking that I should make it so that when you click on the question mark to show the credits, that view should stay there while you turn the dials.

That's really a beautiful reverb, I'm love the natural tone, congratulations and thanks a lot for sharing it

Thanks! I'm glad people are enjoying the sound. Like I said before, one of my primary motivations is to make freeverb3's algorithms available in a hopefully nicer set of plugins.

What DAW(s)
That one was in Reaper 5.977. Verb version 1.9.5 (both Room and Hall; I think Wander doesn't do it in Room, Oversample does). Still happens in 5.978. Wander does it too as does Late level, but way less (late mostly with really fast movements). Worst is pre-delay and then size. I just happened to test automation since it was a beta. Thought why not, haha. But maybe someone would automate, who knows... Once it's set it's not a huge issue, but yeah. Seems possible the crackles follow the graphic re-adjustment or there's some sort of sync issue (they stop exactly at the same time the graph image stabilises on all affected parameters).

To make it clearer, affected parameters are: Late/early level (mostly on fast movements), pre-delay, size, wander. Rest seem to be unaffected (although they also alter the graphic). Also, crackles don't happen when Late is at 0%, although reverb is activated. So it happens only when the produced tail is audible (so it happens in the tail, not in some overall plugin graphical glitch?).

Edit: Early always crackles. So it's not connected directly to Late level, but anything with sounding tail. (Guessing the early links to itself and output, the rest link to late and output)

If it helps:
https://mega.nz/#!xEwUnQhZ!lIdCOt_ntK3xkxWvWrjzpvVXlAn0z0l6QOLcszXGvjo (Note: Graphic frozen due to automation)

Also, the question mark doesn't work in Reaper.

Last edited:
Beta release 1.9.6 is here.

Sorry, I don't think that I will be fixing the snap-crackle-pop during automation.

This one includes several bug fixes, a change in the damper/lpf dials, and a new look for Dragonfly Room:
dragonfly-room-screenshot.png

just a programmer question, I've thought a beta version were under number 1.0...?
Oh right, these 1.9.x-beta releases are getting ready for the 2.0.0 release. Before 1.9.x-beta, there was only one plugin, but now there are two plugins that come as a set, and I'm asking people to beta test the new one, which will be "official" as of the 2.0.0 release.

Well, sad about the crackles but it's fine. Thanks for your work anyway.

Here's a test on dry piano:
https://mega.nz/#!wQZyQS4b!II_nJACFdica7BkQ5ZbnnDyvCN4gra2mwh6L63avNII

And a kick:
https://instaud.io/private/9eddc91a8eef92ee4306f4a759d16f3453bf0725

It adds a nice detached brilliance to the piano and a nice bloom to the drum. And I quite like how it populates that tail. Still sounds pretty huge. Crackles come from the instant changes (on/off), but if you just set it and let it sit and produce the tail it's good. The crackling parameters you probably wouldn't automate anyway. Just a thing to keep in mind. (Oversample is gone for good?)

Here's a test on dry piano
That's a great demo! What preset did you start with, and did you customize it at all?

(Oversample is gone for good?)
Oversample had a number of problems. If you really really want it and ask really nicely, you could probably talk me into adding it as a hidden parameter that you can set with your DAW, but I don't think I'll put it back in the user interface.

was pointed to Dragonfly in another thread.

impressive work!
Hey Zoot Rollo! I'm glad you are enjoying it. Just be aware that the room reverb isn't guaranteed to be backward compatible until v2.0.0, so don't use it for anything serious. The hall reverb is stable and will not break sessions as new versions come out.

Hopefully 2.0.0 will be available soon.

That's a great demo! What preset did you start with, and did you customize it at all?

Dragonfly Hall Reverb > Small Clear Hall Preset > Settings:
dragrevchopianoset.png

Maybe the decay was at 1.3 or something, but that's it pretty much.

Oversample had a number of problems. If you really really want it and ask really nicely, you could probably talk me into adding it as a hidden parameter that you can set with your DAW, but I don't think I'll put it back in the user interface.
I had a feeling it did slightly increase the quality, but not anything massive. A hidden option is fine. You could also have an option to oversample only in rendering mode. But it's up to you, can't really demand anything.

Please try Beta release 1.9.9. Several changes since the last update. Both plugins now have a new slider "Early Send" that controls how much of the early reflection signal is mixed into the input to the late algorithm. Dragonfly Room now has both High Cut and Low Cut. Dragonfly Hall has a "Flutter" dial that controls the level of modulation; this will be simply renamed to "Modulation" for the 2.0.0 release in order to better follow existing conventions in other reverbs.

got lost in this for an hour just playing slow single telecaster notes with a clean fender sim.

very, very nice.

Top Bottom