What's new

Dragon Race - HTTYD2 (Hollywood Orchestra Gold)

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
I don't know about you lot, but I think it's about time we kicked the Star Wars opener out of top-spot for mockup testing, so here is yet another attempt at mocking up a cue from the How To Train Your Dragon series.

This was made exclusively with East West Composer Cloud, and the stock Cubase plugins. Why? I'm still asking myself that same question.

Partly, I simply wanted to see how far I could get with 'limited' resources. This should in theory help to identify any gaps in my arsenal, but perhaps make it a teensy bit easier to hold back on buying everything during black friday deals.
With recent discussions about the mic positions of hollywood orchestra, I was curious to see how far I could get with only the one mic position supplied in Gold.
Anyway, I've attached an mp3. See what you think.
Is it perfect? No. I still feel the woodwinds are the weakest of the pack, and the trumpets won't play triple-tonguing without a fight. Is it realistic? Goodness no, but that wasn't the aim. Am I happy with the result for $30/m? ... :2thumbs: You betcha. Oh and it used less than 4.5GB of RAM. Nifty.

Libraries used:
- Hollywood Orchestra Gold (WW, Brass, Perc, Strings)
- Symphonic Choirs Gold
- Hollywood Harp
- Symphonic Orchestra Gold (couple of flute runs and a bell tree)
- Goliath (a hint of dulcimer in there somewhere)

Plugins:
- QL Spaces
- Cubase stock plugins

P.S. It seems to drop the volume dramatically when embedded as an mp3. I'd recommend downloading the file to hear it at full volume.

EDIT: Have uploaded a DRY version to demonstrate what HO Gold sounds like without panning or plugins.
Sometimes VIC duplicates audio embeds for some reason. Please note, there are only TWO files.

MIXED
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/dragon-racing-jdiggity-ew-cc-stock-plugins-mp3.10441/][/AUDIOPLUS]

DRY
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/dragon-racing-jdiggity-dry-mp3.10440/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

Last edited:

hag01

You are making me regretting I spent my money on Hollywood Orchestra Diamond.
I should have spent the same budget on Hollywood Orchestra Gold + Symphonic Choir Gold!

Beautiful piece by the way.

Last edited:
OP
Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
Eye-opening & timely post! thanks :)
You are making me regretting I spent my money on Hollywood Orchestra Diamond.
I should have spent the same budget on Hollywood Orchestra Gold + Symphonic Choir Gold!

Beautiful piece by the way.
Good job man ! It actually sounds pretty good
Thanks everyone. It was certainly an eye-opening experience for me too!

@hag01 Don't regret your purchase. The diamond package is fantastic, and offers even greater flexibility with soundstage and mixing. Had i used the Diamond orch instead, I believe it would have been quicker to achieve the desired result.
As you might hear, this piece is not intended to sound like a 'real live recording' of an ensemble in concert. It is very 'produced' and hyped for the purposes of a soundtrack.
The Diamond bundle would make it much easier to achieve realism in order to emulate the 'live orchestra' sound, and not rely on as much 'production', if that makes sense...

As for Symphonic Choirs... well... I'd hold out for Hollywood Choirs personally. Or just get a month of Composer Cloud and try your hand at doing a similar exercise to this. This was done over only a few days, so you'll have plenty of time to make a few mockups! :thumbsup:

Oh and I've just attached a DRY version of the same mockup, to show how HO Gold sound with one mic position and no processing.

Last edited:

mcalis

Sure, I can hear where it isn't quite like the original but for just HWO gold, it's a surprisingly good mockup. Like you, I think it'd be even better with Diamond. I am going to give it a try this weekend (still needed something to try my template anyway), should be fun!

Thanks for posting this: HTTYD stuff never dails to make me smile :)

desert

Just here so I don't get fined
Beautifully mocked up for less than $30.

Gamer changer!

HWS+B still going strong after so many years...

Should we inform the uneducated that you don't need to spend all your money on the latest sample libraries?

OP
Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
Should we inform the uneducated that you don't need to spend all your money on the latest sample libraries?
What, and compete against the marketing wizards that power this forum? (And do you really think they'd listen? ;))

Look, people can come to their own conclusions. All this mockup shows is that you can achieve THIS sound, with THIS setup. If this is the sound you'd like to achieve, then put your wallet down for a second, I have some good news...

But I would certainly reiterate the importance of spending the time to experiment with and learn what you've got. Understand the principles behind what you're doing. You want to be flexible and have the ability to produce something of quality regardless of what tools you've got to use.

NoamL

Winter <3
Well, knowing HWB in particular, it helps that you picked an excerpt that shows HO in its best light - unison horn line front and center, adventury stuff on the strings, less winds and trumpets - but this is still damn good. Demo quality (for getting director approval, not demo-in-your-reel I mean).

It shows that Composer Cloud should really be the FIRST product this forum recommends to any brand new VI-tinkerer. The value is unbeatable. QLSpaces can make anything sound like Hollywood.

desert

Just here so I don't get fined
It shows that Composer Cloud should really be the FIRST product this forum recommends to any brand new VI-tinkerer. The value is unbeatable. QLSpaces can make anything sound like Hollywood.
Couldn't agree more.

In saying that, wouldn't mind hearing you mock one up for HTTYD ;)

stevenson-again

Wow - nice job. I agree with all other comments here as well as your own...no it isn't the most perfect mock-up but it's better than good enough and really well mixed. I tell you what, it shows the value of good writing and how that shines through. I've never been a fan of the Hollywood series in terms of usability but you've certainly proven it can get the job done.

Very impressive.

OP
Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
which QL Spaces preset did you use?
I was actually a bit flippant with the reverb and didn't put much thought into it. Just loaded presets from SoCal. Hall as FX channels for sending each instrument to (as pre-fader sends), one for each section (strings, brass, etc.). Then a Berlin Church preset was used as a "glue" verb as an insert on section stems to help unify the individual elements into one space. I did tweak the dry/wet and pre-delay signals though. And of course, activating the filters to cut out low end & high end, as well as applying subtle EQ after each verb to combat certain resonant frequencies within each section.

Honestly the reverb was something i could (should?) have spent more time on - comparing presets etc.

Top Bottom