What's new

Dorico 2.2 released

I decided to jump in now that realtime MIDI recording is in. Got Noteperformer too (which works great with live MIDI input) and while I'm still learning the program, I'm surprised just how quickly I'm getting accustomed to writing with it. It's nice to go back to notation after years using only a DAW.
There's no lag with Noteperformer like there is with Sibelius?
(recording in real time)

(recording in real time)

I'm not sure how much lag there is in Sibelius. There's maybe 50 or so ms of lag with realtime recording in Dorico, similar to sample libraries like CSS (not the legatos, just the shorts and such), but it's totally playable. Dorico's rhythmic interpretation is quite strict which sometimes causes weird rhythms, but it has a requantize function (Edit -> Requantize) that works quite well for fixing it up.

I'm not sure how much lag there is in Sibelius. There's maybe 50 or so ms of lag with realtime recording in Dorico, similar to sample libraries like CSS (not the legatos, just the shorts and such), but it's totally playable. Dorico's rhythmic interpretation is quite strict which sometimes causes weird rhythms, but it has a requantize function (Edit -> Requantize) that works quite well for fixing it up.
Awesome

Noteperformer in Sibelius isn't "bad", it's unplayable. Good to hear it's working in Dorico.

Being a long time Finale user, I found this video really informative about Dorico.

Watched only a part, but thank you! That is a very good video showcasing things. Also long time Finale user here since 1998 and this looks a hell lot smoother on a lot of things.

I have 10 days left on my demo, I'm loving Dorico. I haven't enjoyed a notation software this much since my days of using Notion and with this new update it's sounds like it's inching ever so closer to the 'perfect' software

I have 10 days left on my demo, I'm loving Dorico. I haven't enjoyed a notation software this much since my days of using Notion and with this new update it's sounds like it's inching ever so closer to the 'perfect' software

Haha, I felt exactly the same during my demo period. Know I'm still trying to find money to get the software!

There are definitely limitations. There's a sticky thread at the top of the Dorico forum on Steinberg's site. Bottom line, you won't want to use it that way yet. It isn't "notation with a full Cubase-like mockup capability yet."

The expression map set up is doable, but a pain. It is NOT the same as Cubase. You can use a Cubase expression map to start. To make it work you would not be able to use Berlin, anyway. Each instrument is limited to one MIDI channel in Dorico. That doesn't work when you have violin shorts and longs on separate patches (like Berlin). You could build a matrix in VSL instruments that would work. Steinberg knows about all this. Read the thread. What is missing is well documented and understood. They will get there. But I bet more people wanted MIDI input than the ability to do full mockup from a notation package.

The other frustrating thing is that you can have whatever number of CC lanes you want. But only one visible at a time! Given that almost everything gets CC1 and CC11 (and possibly others), this is just a workflow killer.

So tantalizing. Happily, the core notation function is really quite nice. No regrets about moving on from Sibelius. As a compositional tool, Dorico + NotePerformer makes me very happy. But it isn't a mockup tool yet.

I'm going to dive into that sticky to see what the known issues are but FWIW, I've just started creating expression maps in Dorico for my VSTs and I've actually found it relatively straightforward so far in 2.2. Ive used KS patches in Spitfire Chamber Strings with basic playing techniques and so far dorico seems to play back through the samples relatively easily. I haven't tried Berlin yet but in capsule you're not limited to shorts and longs being on separate patches so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to use an expression map triggering KS in Berlin too?

I haven't tried Berlin yet but in capsule you're not limited to shorts and longs being on separate patches so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to use an expression map triggering KS in Berlin too?

Berlin Strings Multi-Articulation 2.0 patches do not mix shorts and longs. The dynamics are yet another patch. The other option is the single articulation patches, but that is even worse for Dorico as each is on a separate channel. The BWW instruments mix short and long, but the strings don't. I could set up my Vienna Dimension strings for Dorico, but honestly, being able to only deal with a single expression lane at a time is just clunky. I'll use it for notation where it is great, and use Cubase for MIDI for the time being.

Berlin Strings Multi-Articulation 2.0 patches do not mix shorts and longs. The dynamics are yet another patch. The other option is the single articulation patches, but that is even worse for Dorico as each is on a separate channel. The BWW instruments mix short and long, but the strings don't. I could set up my Vienna Dimension strings for Dorico, but honestly, being able to only deal with a single expression lane at a time is just clunky. I'll use it for notation where it is great, and use Cubase for MIDI for the time being.

Ah yes, I didn’t realize the latest version of BS had that limitation. That would def rule it out for use in dorico as of now.

(recording in real time)
What do you mean "there is no lag with NotePerformer (recording in real time)"... I have been using NP in Sibelius for a long time and what frustrates me the most is the impossibility to record in real time due to the 2-3" delay that NP requires to read and interpret the music... Is this the same in Dorico or recording in real time it's actually possible now in Dorico with NP? Many thanks for any feedback, Max T.

For me using Dorico with NP is at least a 1 sec delay. The version of NP for Dorico is in Beta so there are some other issues with it, e.g. problems with playback if multiple articulations on a note etc.

Berlin Strings Multi-Articulation 2.0 patches do not mix shorts and longs. The dynamics are yet another patch.
I wonder if you can create your own banks from articulations in different instruments. This should be doable both in Kontakt alone, and with the help of Mind Control from Orange Tree Samples.

Paolo

I recorded a quick video showing how it works for me (apologies for the audio only on the right side):

Thanks Jeremia for your kindness in making this video... The issue I see when using NP even in Dorico is when you need to record while an existing music passage plays back, like for example when recording a clarinet while existing instruments play back. I found this not possible to do in Sibelius when using NP. I have asked many times the NP developer to include an on/off switch to temporary disable the latency, but I have been told that this is not possible to do and implement...

Thanks Jeremia for your kindness in making this video... The issue I see when using NP even in Dorico is when you need to record while an existing music passage plays back, like for example when recording a clarinet while existing instruments play back. I found this not possible to do in Sibelius when using NP. I have asked many times the NP developer to include an on/off switch to temporary disable the latency, but I have been told that this is not possible to do and implement...

That isn't happening for me in Dorico. There's no latency when recording alongside other instruments.

As far as I can tell, you still can't edit key velocity for individual notes - is that right? I also don't see that swing feel in playback has been implemented. I know they'll get there - but those are the changes I need to really consider switching from 26 years of Finale...
Any updates on editing note velocity? I still use Notion and love/need this feature as I need it to trigger articulations with some VIs.

It's a shame Sibelius isn't customisable like Reaper otherwise you could have a hot key that temporarily switches noteperformer with a generic piano sound for realtime no-latency recording, enabling it again when you're done.

Top Bottom