What's new

Doom Eternal(and doom 2016)

Generic metal with some distorted synths and sounddesign pads. Dunno why people rave about it so much. It nicely complements the atmosphere though, so, mission accomplished I guess.

Generic metal with some distorted synths and sounddesign pads. Dunno why people rave about it so much. It nicely complements the atmosphere though, so, mission accomplished I guess.

It fits perfect into the game. And the game is close to perfect, too. It is a great example how game and music work together. I played Doom 2016 with a huge smile on my face, and the music was one of the reasons.

I think it sounds like metal from the future, and its simple enough to be mixed in a way that's super aggressive but clear

It's not generic metal with some added synths, it's uniquely processed synths with some added metal riffs (and choir etc.). The whole original premise was "no guitars". I don't think anyone listening to metal would call it generic metal. What is "generic" in metal even supposed to mean, given that there are so many tightly defined subgenres?

To me the soundtrack was some of the most inspiring music of recent years because imho it broke the mold a fair bit and you can feel the passion that was put into it. It has motivated more action towards making music on my side, than many other things. I even bought an 8-string guitar. And I have a reaper project called "the doom array" where I'm experimenting with insane signal chains to process sine-waves and guitar- or bass-DI tracks. I bought a bass too, but that was mostly for another project.

Here's a more recent video by Mick Gordon:

If anyone is working on similar stuff, lets hear it in this thread! Doesn't matter if it's just a single riff, a processed synth sample, a short snippit or a whole song.

And I have a reaper project called "the doom array" where I'm experimenting with insane signal chains to process sine-waves and guitar

Me too, I paused the 2017 video on the section where Mick showed his Doom Array setup and tried to put it together in Reaper. I'm too scared to turn off feedback protection so I'm sure some of it isn't working as it should but it's been fun doing it.

If anyone is working on similar stuff, lets hear it in this thread! Doesn't matter if it's just a single riff, a processed synth sample, a short snippit or a whole song.

I'll try and dig out some of the clips I did with my Doom Array later :)

I actually think the sound is not that aggressive, compared to some metal albums I know.

Run-of-the-mill riffs.
it's pretty damn aggressive for VGM, and it's not that it sounds like metal, it sounds like metal from the future. Like basic Djent fuzed effortlessly with something like destroid/drumstep/brostep.

It's a mixture of 9 string, bass DI, riffs recorded on guitar at 2x and then time stretched, and raw sine.

he pulled back a bit because when it was too frantic it was too distracting, and originally the Devs didn't want him to make something that sounded "metal" even though it certainly sounds like that was thrown at the window and embraced.

coincidently I didn't know anything about the new doom releases OR the sound track until the line above was provided on another thread

I agree with @Consona to an extent. The first track, rip and tear, is basically a straight slipknot rip without the vocals. Maybe as a metalhead myself I'm constantly looking for similarities, but if metal isn't your usual thing it might sound new and exciting.

That aside, the soundtracks extremely well done and I like it.

I agree with @Consona to an extent. The first track, rip and tear, is basically a straight slipknot rip without the vocals. Maybe as a metalhead myself I'm constantly looking for similarities, but if metal isn't your usual thing it might sound new and exciting.

That aside, the soundtracks extremely well done and I like it.
I was listening to amputated genitals and enslaved well everyone else in high school was wearing girl jeans and spin kicking at shows.

The last time I was in a band, we inspired somebody to bring a folded metal chair into the pit, maybe you didn't mean that to sound elitist but I certainly got that vibe from it.

Considering there are videos of me playing traditional blast Beats and double bass over 250 beats per minute from a decade ago your comment seems pretty unfounded.

I never had a slipknot phase, but by the time I was seven I was jamming to Judas Priest and names my iguana Ozzy... by the time I was twelve I was listening to Morbid Angel, deicide, and Cannibal Corpse.

Last edited:
@ProfoundSilence Seems like the composer had a lot of fun making all those sounds and stuff, yea, but that's that as far as I'm concerned.

@davidson I don't care as much the riffs being similar to something else, they are just not exciting per se.

But that applies for the majority of stuff. I find like 95% of metal rather boring and frankly quite daft, yet there is some metal stuff that's fricking great. The old-school composers have the advantage that when their ideas are generic, they at least can do funny, interesting and noteworthy things with them. Like that Steiner's King Kong we are talking about in the other thread. There are no Williams-y super melodies or anything, but the compositions themselves are just sooo good.

@ProfoundSilence Seems like the composer had a lot of fun making all those sounds and stuff, yea, but that's that as far as I'm concerned.

@davidson I don't care as much the riffs being similar to something else, they are just not exciting per se.

But that applies for the majority of stuff. I find like 95% of metal rather boring and frankly quite daft, yet there is some metal stuff that's fricking great. The old-school composers have the advantage that when their ideas are generic, they at least can do funny, interesting and noteworthy things with them. Like that Steiner's King Kong we are talking about in the other thread. There are no Williams-y super melodies or anything, but the compositions themselves are just sooo good.

film music is "technically" boring most of the time, yet often times is effective at doing what music is actually suppose to do, which is make you feel a certain way. Your focus on the pitches doesn't make any sense given the context, he actually talks about his entire perspective on the project was about turning his processing into the instrument, and throwing insanely simple raw sine wave motifs into it.

Sound design was his instrument, and even though you could get like 80% of the way there with much less work, he put all of his effort into making the textures sound interesting with the limitation of something that is simple and repetitive so that it isn't distracting. There is no "story to tell" -it's not synced to events, He's not writing an album, he's creating the best soundscape for a game - and getting paid by the people making the game to do that(and that only)

this *is* soundtrack discussion, hopefully you'll be able to judge this through the lense of what it actually does, if it does what it does well, and if it does it exceptionally.

film music is "technically" boring most of the time, yet often times is effective at doing what music is actually suppose to do, which is make you feel a certain way. Your focus on the pitches doesn't make any sense given the context, he actually talks about his entire perspective on the project was about turning his processing into the instrument, and throwing insanely simple raw sine wave motifs into it.

Sound design was his instrument, and even though you could get like 80% of the way there with much less work, he put all of his effort into making the textures sound interesting with the limitation of something that is simple and repetitive so that it isn't distracting. There is no "story to tell" -it's not synced to events, He's not writing an album, he's creating the best soundscape for a game - and getting paid by the people making the game to do that(and that only)

this *is* soundtrack discussion, hopefully you'll be able to judge this through the lense of what it actually does, if it does what it does well, and if it does it exceptionally.
I get your point. Which still won't change the fact I find the music boring. I think you can get that.

Plus I flipping hate the new "so that it isn't distracting" notion. First off all you can have interestingly composed music that is not distracting. Second off, it's just utter bullshit. Wasn't it Nolan who said to HZ he does not want the music to be very prominent so it doesn't distract the viewer? WTF, Chris? First off, sorry to disappoint but HZ's music was so loud that I think your plan did not work at all. Second off, WTF Chris? Like Williams' awesome pieces in Star Wars, Harry Potter or Jurassic Park diminished the viewers perception of the story or what?!

But I get it, you mow demons down left and right so you can't insert Mozart there as a soundtrack. Fine. But that doesn't mean you have to make it frustratingly monotonous and dull.
Like that video you've posted. Bleh.

I think if you'd make an Doom music contest here on the forum, you'd get the same or way better pieces no problem.

I get your point. Which still won't change the fact I find the music boring. I think you can get that.

Plus I flipping hate the new "so that it isn't distracting" notion. First off all you can have interestingly composed music that is not distracting. Second off, it's just utter bullshit. Wasn't it Nolan who said to HZ he does not want the music to be very prominent so it doesn't distract the viewer? WTF, Chris? First off, sorry to disappoint but HZ's music was so loud that I think your plan did not work at all. Second off, WTF Chris? Like Williams' awesome pieces in Star Wars, Harry Potter or Jurassic Park diminished the viewers perception of the story or what?!

But I get it, you mow demons down left and right so you can't insert Mozart there as a soundtrack. Fine. But that doesn't mean you have to make it frustratingly monotonous and dull.
Like that video you've posted. Bleh.

I think if you'd make an Doom music contest here on the forum, you'd get the same or way better pieces no problem.

hmmm, maybe they should be submitting their work for Bethesda, and maybe a kind soul will let them know that their purchase that they made twice was a poor choice and should just post threads here for the next opening.

fwiw, many of those classic film scores made the films, because the acting and dialog was pretty cringe. Nowadays we have better actors(or graphics and sound effects). I think the sonic character fits the atmosphere pretty spot on, and based on the reaction from the last 2 games, the music actually looks to be a massive driving factor in it's reception, as many user reviews mention the music and sound effects specifically. I can't think of the last FPS review where I saw people go out of their way to mention the music, side from really niche flavors like some of the farcry games.

I was listening to amputated genitals and enslaved well everyone else in high school was wearing girl jeans and spin kicking at shows.

The last time I was in a band, we inspired somebody to bring a folded metal chair into the pit, maybe you didn't mean that to sound elitist but I certainly got that vibe from it.

Considering there are videos of me playing traditional blast Beats and double bass over 250 beats per minute from a decade ago your comment seems pretty unfounded.

I never had a slipknot phase, but by the time I was seven I was jamming to Judas Priest and names my iguana Ozzy... by the time I was twelve I was listening to Morbid Angel, deicide, and Cannibal Corpse.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to come across as "I'M MORE METAL THAN YOU, RAWWRR' at all, so sorry if it did, and it wasn't aimed at any person in particular.

Like I say, I think it's an awesome soundtrack and does the job perfectly.

Top Bottom