What's new

Dominus Pro

Hello guys! Yes it is a little teaser of something we have been working on for a while. It shouldn't take that long. And yes, for who was thinking about Dominus 2 this is it! But we joined the Apple thing of calling Pro everything. The fact is that this new version of dominus is a complete renew library with twice the content of the original, new articulations and stuff! You can also sing some stuff in English and most of the important phonemes are covered.

Feel free to ask anything! We may not have all the answers yet :)

What is the impact on the original Dominus? I know that it will add more syllables and marcato, but will there be changes in sound or functionality of the original content? Like scripting or editing of the original samples? Or does it simply "add" to it?

Either way, I use Dominus a lot and I am very much looking forward to this.

Thank you Fluffy audio.

I bought Dominus choir half a year ago and love it!
look forward to greater use of it with the Pro version.
I hope it also can be used for beautiful choir composition and not only action as the short Teaser :)
.....hoping for a short “beautiful” teaser:rolleyes:

Will the pro version influence the pricing and/or availability of the original? As we've seen with other libraries, initial releases can be discontinued for more expensive yet similar alternatives.

Last edited:
Oooh! Nice! Are you adding the ability to route microphone positions to separate Kontakt outputs?

Looking forward to hearing more!

This sounds like a very promising upgrade. Dominus has a wonderful tone and good work-flow. I'm very much looking forward to the "pro" details and pricing.

- Library size?
now it is 53 Gb ncw compressed. Almost double the size of the original Dominus.
- Price range?
We still are deciding but substantially less than double the price of Dominus if you include the introductory price. Consider that, except for maybe the GUI and some part of the scripting, this library is taken from a session that was equal in time than the original Dominus. So it is a more "complete" library now.
- 'Upgrade price' for Dominus users?
The entire retail price of Dominus Choir will be discounted. You can think about Dominus Choir Pro as a kind of Bundle between Dominus Choir and "Pro". We thought about doing also a version with just the new features without the content of Dominus Choir 1, but we thought it would be confusing to our customers.

- Release date?

Not too long! We have to receive a few demos, make walkthroughs and make some noise about it, but the library is ready!

What is the impact on the original Dominus? I know that it will add more syllables and marcato, but will there be changes in sound or functionality of the original content? Like scripting or editing of the original samples? Or does it simply "add" to it?

Dominus Choir Pro has 3 patches: Legato, Marcato and Staccato. The legato patch is the old "legacy" one, but with added features and 120 new syllables to play with. The new features (monophonic legato, 12 word syllables instead of 6, various bugfixes) will be ready for an update of the original Dominus Choir. Also we have now split all the ending syllables so if you had before "ULCRUM" now you have "ULCRU" and"UM" so you can write "ULCRUS"

Dominus Marcato and Staccato will be very similar with an entire new set of syllables to play with. They are 60 syllables (+60 releases for the Marcato), but they are not conceived like the legato patch. For example if you want to sing DOMINUS in the Legato patch you have to write: DO OMI INU US and you have to specify a predefined length for each syllable.

With the Marcato patch you can write DO MI NU-US
Each syllable will have like 12 different "releases" so when you raise the key you will hear the release of that syllable.

With the Staccato patch there are no releases, but just 60 syllables. You can use the Staccato also to have a more "impactful" sound over the Marcato (or to simulate something like a fp).

While Dominus Choir was quite easy to use, the new articulations in Dominus Choir Pro are even more easy, because you just play them in the most natural way (but there are a lot of things under the hood to make them to sound good at any kind of speed).

One note about languages: the selection this time was not done over the most used syllables in latin choir music, but on the most used phonemes.

That's why was essential for us:

1) to include all the vowel combinations: AE, AI,AO,AU, EA,EI, etc.. If you use Italian language as a kind of simple phonetic language you can use it to create english sounding words. If an Italian would write SILENCE in the way that he hears it he would write SAILENS or SA AI ILE ENS in Dominus Choir Pro.
I love you is written AI ILO OVI IU
This is very intuitive for us Italians, but also for Spanish and German speakers, whose languages tends to have a sound that is mostly represented by a single letter.

2) Someone says that it is impossibile to understand what a choir sings. I disagree. But what is true is that some consonants sound very similar. M and N, for example, D and T, P and B. This help us a bit.
We can use word similarity to construct more words.

For example if you want to sing AMAZING GRACE, you can write AMESIREIS (A AME ESI IRE EIS in Dominus Choir Pro Legato) and it will sound like AMAZING GRACE.
In Dominus Choir Pro Marcato you can write A ME SI RE I-S or better A-M ME-S SI-R E-I I-S (the release is a consonant that follows the preceding consonants) to have a more connected sound.

In the end. We have thought a lot about how to make a convincing choir, with one of the easiest interfaces ever, with the most beautiful and versatile sound we could do :)

Oh, this was a long reply!
@Peter Satera No we won't discountinue the original Dominus Choir as I said we are working on an update which includes some of the features of DCP! In general we don't like to discontinue products we are proud of:)

@tommalm No there aren't individual Kontakt outputs, but I will try add it it if it's easy to do!

And yes I think we have finally fixed that stupid "move your modwheel and resave bug!"

It will never stop....... . Will it ever stop......? Why are you doing this to me Paolo.....? You know you think you are at a point where you have it all and can save your money for food, but no.......... . Thanks Fluffy Audio! Can't wait!

One note about languages: the selection this time was not done over the most used syllables in latin choir music, but on the most used phonemes.

That's why was essential for us:

1) to include all the vowel combinations: AE, AI,AO,AU, EA,EI, etc.. If you use Italian language as a kind of simple phonetic language you can use it to create english sounding words. If an Italian would write SILENCE in the way that he hears it he would write SAILENS or SA AI ILE ENS in Dominus Choir Pro.
I love you is written AI ILO OVI IU
This is very intuitive for us Italians, but also for Spanish and German speakers, whose languages tends to have a sound that is mostly represented by a single letter.

2) Someone says that it is impossibile to understand what a choir sings. I disagree. But what is true is that some consonants sound very similar. M and N, for example, D and T, P and B. This help us a bit.
We can use word similarity to construct more words.

For example if you want to sing AMAZING GRACE, you can write AMESIREIS (A AME ESI IRE EIS in Dominus Choir Pro Legato) and it will sound like AMAZING GRACE.
In Dominus Choir Pro Marcato you can write A ME SI RE I-S or better A-M ME-S SI-R E-I I-S (the release is a consonant that follows the preceding consonants) to have a more connected sound.

In the end. We have thought a lot about how to make a convincing choir, with one of the easiest interfaces ever, with the most beautiful and versatile sound we could do :)

Sounds a lot like the Genesis implementation which I think is pretty fluid. Coming from Vocaloid I'm used to this kind of process. Looking forward to it; Dominus was already on my radar, now even more so!

Top Bottom