What's new

Domain Names

Inceptic

What are you guys using for your websites? Just composername.com? Do any of you get creative at all with verbs, nouns, TLDs, abstractions (e.g. production company name), etc?

Alternatively, have you seen someone else with a creative URL and wished you had come up with it, or that your name was compatible with the wordplay too?

I'm using "[myname].com" and "[companyname].co" because ".com" was taken. The way I see it, the best way for people to remember who we are is to have consistent names/branding everywhere they see us.

...Are you considering something else?

Last edited:
Imho the most important qualities for a portfolio URL are that it's simple enough to be easily communicated on the phone, without having to spell it out letter by letter, and easy to remember.

I'm just curious as to what the industry standard is, and if anyone is a bit more creative than that. I figure it warrants a bit of thought, since once you pick a name/brand, it lasts forever.

Also, there is this:
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/07/who-wins-in-the-name-game/374912/

And I think I read on here that for composers, artist names are frowned upon, or considered juvenile.

Haha that was a great article. I'd heard about this before and it's why I've always thought if I have a daughter, I'm definitely gonna name her "Bill." :laugh:

Was listening to another tech startup podcast and one of them mentioned how a serial entrepreneur always looks towards "four letter words" for their company names/domains. I thought that was interesting. The shorter the better.

I bought the domain name outlierstudios.co, so imagine how long my email address is when you combine that domain name with my name.

Not only that, but people tend to ask, ".co or .com?" Or even worse, they don't ask at all.

My next company's gonna be a 4 letter word.

As for artist names, my friends (2 people) "The Young Ebenezers" have had no problems finding work and being taken seriously in our industry.

I have another friend whose name is Rich Vreeland. He writes music for a ton of games, and a few movies/shows like It Follows, Under the Silver Lake, and Adventure Time. He goes by "Disasterpeace."

S U R V I V E was a standalone band before they jumped into Stranger Things.

JunkieXL is one of the busiest composers there is.

And even if some of these folks go by their real names on movie credits, there's no don't they were taken seriously with artist names.

A brand is ultimately what we make it to be, despite preconceived ideas about the words used, I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom