What's new

Does VSL loop legato?

bryla

Orchestrator
I was using the solo cello pLeg patch from SE1 and having the notes cut-off prematurely. I checked again and again and found that I only had two re-bows to each note and then it ended. But I really need the notes to go on for longer.

My thought was then to upgrade to Solo Strings I Standard Library but hang on: no mention of looped samples.

Can anyone confirm this?

VSL-Cello.jpg Hi,
I just did a small test, I remembered that patches weren't at least very consistent.
Herewith the results with their cello, full library. Played mf.
Alos note the strange behaviour of the release sound by lifting your finger from the key after the sound has stopped.
Anyway, I hope this will inform you a bit.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/legato-cello-vsl-full-mp3.19879/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Legato-cello-VSL-full.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
VSL-Cello.jpg Hi,
I just did a small test, I remembered that patches weren't at least very consistent.
Herewith the results with their cello, full library. Played mf.
Alos note the strange behaviour of the release sound by lifting your finger from the key after the sound has stopped.
Anyway, I hope this will inform you a bit.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/legato-cello-vsl-full-mp3.19879/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Thank you, Erik - but chocking. Solo Strings 1 Extended Library?
SE 1 also gives the little thumb on release.

VSL-Cello.jpg Hi,

What did you expect to happen? It's a release sample that's triggered by note off, and that's what it's doing. If you don't want it, switch it off.

What did you expect to happen? It's a release sample that's triggered by note off, and that's what it's doing. If you don't want it, switch it off.
You can also defeat it by playing a ghost note out of range before releasing. Another thing you can do is build an x-fade matrix that includes legato/sustain.

Yes, but don't you need the release sample if you stop before the note ends?

I'd expect to hear a loud release while the note is playing, but after the note stops, the release is far too loud. It isn't just the sound of a finger lifting off a silent string, it is the release of the note that already finished playing

I'd expect to hear a loud release while the note is playing, but after the note stops, the release is far too loud. It isn't just the sound of a finger lifting off a silent string, it is the release of the note that already finished playing
Yes, but a release sample is designed to be the end of a note, and is triggered by a note off. How does the software know when you are going to lift your finger off the note otherwise? What you are asking for is a normal release sample, but if the note plays for more than a certain amount of time then to switch off the release sample. This is perfectly possible to do, if the sample player is designed that way, but unless you are used to using Aftertouch, it won't be of much use. However, as I said you can switch off the release sample on the fly, so it's not really an issue.

Yes, but a release sample is designed to be the end of a note, and is triggered by a note off. How does the software know when you are going to lift your finger off the note otherwise? What you are asking for is a normal release sample, but if the note plays for more than a certain amount of time then to switch off the release sample. This is perfectly possible to do, if the sample player is designed that way, but unless you are used to using Aftertouch, it won't be of much use. However, as I said you can switch off the release sample on the fly, so it's not really an issue.

I'm not sure i follow. I have plenty of libraries with release samples that don't play a release after the note has stopped. I don't use after touch.

I'm not sure i follow. I have plenty of libraries with release samples that don't play a release after the note has stopped. I don't use after touch.

Do you have an example of this behaviour, so that people who also have that library can investigate?

Top Bottom