What's new

Does Melodyne 4 preserve the original formants?

BlackLP

Hi!

I am researching about sampling for my uni dissertation. For the multisampling chapter, I am researching about which would be the best way to transpose the samples without affecting the formants, if possible, or affecting them the less possible.

I have been digging into the manual, and it says that Melodyne allows you to work with the formants, but it is not clear if it preserve the original formants in their original position when you transpose with the melodic(monophonic) algorithm.

Thank you for your help! ;)

The formants aren't a problem for me, but I think there's something uncannily wrong it's doing with transients in general.

it depends entirely on how hard you are pushing it, but as a rule it does a remarkably good job of preserving formants for smaller shifts. Frankly better than I'd expected.

The comment above about transients rings true (see what I did there?).

They can be preserved, but you need to be very careful about the amount of change to pitch or time, it is a lot less forgiving.

In a mix I wonder if I would hear these artifacts, but exposed they are audible.

Now I need to experiment to see if it is a trade-off kind of deal<G>...

The monophonic algorithm does formant preservation.

In general, all modern pitch shifting programs preserve formants. Steps of the process generally include:
  • Discerning between harmonic and non/low harmonic sounds;
  • Accurately finding the pitch period;
  • Performing harmonic analysis to identify the spectral envelope;
  • Deconstructing the signal into harmonic and non-harmonic information,
  • Capturing accurate phase information
And of course, performing the process in reverse to reconstruct the sound.

There are multiple ways to perform each of these steps, and most companies aren't entirely forthcoming about exactly how their products work.

And this doesn't even touch on the problem of how to deal with dynamic reconstruction, such as if you wanted the timbre to change during playback as the dynamics change.

Just in time for this thread...

MELODYNE 5.

New features:

• the ability to edit pitched and noise-like components separately with the “Melodic” algorithm
  • a more musical analysis of pitch deviations
  • the Chord Track and Chord Grid for pitch editing, chord recognition
  • the Fade Tool and Leveling Macro for editing dynamics
  • an additional algorithm (“Percussive Pitched”) plus other algorithm improvements
  • search functions for keyboard shortcuts, saving of shortcut sets

More (broken link removed)

If you have Studio version 3, go to Audio Deluxe and get the Update to 4 for <$50 and under their grace period you should get the Update to 5 for free!

If you have Studio version 3, go to Audio Deluxe and get the Update to 4 for <$50 and under their grace period you should get the Update to 5 for free!
Thank you. I didn't think of that. I upgraded Editor 2 to Studio 4 but still have an old version of Studio 3. I will try it out.

Would you guys say that if you're multisampling every three semitones or by fifths, it is more likely to transpose the samples to cover the whole range using Melodyne 4 (or 5) rather than with Kontakt 6?

Kontakt 6 in its sampler mode uses resampling, speeding up or slowing down the sample to transpose the samples. In the time machine and tone modes it uses granular synthesis algorithms to transpose the samples without affecting the duration, but I think it introduces more artifacts. What do you guys think?

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Thank you. I didn't think of that. I upgraded Editor 2 to Studio 4 but still have an old version of Studio 3. I will try it out.
It does work but don’t hang around as some sites have already pulled the listings for version 4.
Someone on Kvr has reported that they purchased 4 from Audio Deluxe and now have 5 for free.

I have Melodyne Studio 4 and the update is 149 euro. Truth be told, I only need Melodyne 5 Essential but they consider that downgrading and so there is no path to do it.

Top Bottom