What's new

Does Cubase 10 Export to Video?

That's a Nuendo only feature which is coming in 10.2, due in July. Odd that it's not in Cubase - Logic has had this functionality for years.

Cubase's Video side of it has always been very weak. If you really need to export to video, check out the free Da Vinci's Resolve. I was recommended it by this forum a few months back and it's wonderful. Very easy to use and create clips of cues for deliveries or just simply sync audio to picture and get an exported cut of it. Whatever you need really.

I've been thinking of crossgrade from Cubase to Nuendo 10 just for the video rendering feature, 2 video tracks and cut detection are also temping.
does nuendo do what Cubase does? I figured nuendo was just an audio editor, but does it do midi as well?

does nuendo do what Cubase does? I figured nuendo was just an audio editor, but does it do midi as well?

As of ver.10 Nuendo does everything Cubase 10 does plus a lot more. In the next update (10.0.20) there will also be the video export (only in Nuendo though).

Shocking isn't it? In defence of Steinberg however they found themselves sandwiched between Apple's codecs, Avid's licensing fees and the need to remain cross-platform. Quicktime is at the core of everything Apple does and they have been developing the libraries for decades. You can't walk away from that without a deal of pain. Supposed to be in Nuendo 10.2 which means it'll show up in Cubase 11 or 11.5 I imagine.

I have a horrible feeling they think if they make video export a Nuendo only feature everyone will buy Nuendo. That is just wrong on so many levels. Video export is available on almost every other DAW. Now Logic is poised to address multiple devices in VSL EP, that puts them back in the game. Up to now Cubase have had most of the pro film community while songwriters have favored Logic. If they take us for granted and dont put video export in as a priority they will lose a lot of users.

Cubase had "replace audio in a video file" function up to version 9.5. Cubase 10 suddenly doesn't, which was a weird decision.

- Piotr

Probably has to do with Steinberg having to create a new video formate for PC. I would imagine that Cubase will get it in 10.5 due in what October?

Cubase had "replace audio in a video file" function up to version 9.5. Cubase 10 suddenly doesn't, which was a weird decision.

- Piotr
Not that weird - there's a fair bit of explanation for it online on forums. Quicktime has been deprecated, and SB used quicktime for its video engine. AFAIK they *couldn't* use it in the last release.

So they've had to go back to square one and write a completely new video engine for Cubase/Nuendo. (And it has taken a fair amount of time to get right!) Its definitely getting there - and already shows performance improvements on our nuendo workstations here (using blackmagic outputs). I'm REALLY looking forward to the 10.2 release. There's rumors its going to allow export of clips from the timeline rather than the complete video file (which is how it used to be...)

Speaking to SB guys at a conference recently, they have even more plans for the video engine - but for that we'll need to wait at least until the next .5 version I'd say. Things like recompression on/during export, handling of different aspect ratios and the like.

I personally would be very suprised to not see clip export in cubase soon.

I have a horrible feeling they think if they make video export a Nuendo only feature everyone will buy Nuendo.
Martin over at Steinberg forum said last November that video render for Cubase was already in the works....I’m sure they are prioritizing Nuendo 10.2 release now, but I think we can rest assured Cubase will have a video render option in some form in the (hopefully!) near future.

Top Bottom