Does anyone use Softube modular and if how?

Discussion in 'VIRTUAL SYNTHS: Omnisphere, U-he, Reaktor, etc.' started by JPQ, Apr 4, 2019.

1. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Does anyone use Softube modular and if how?

2. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    If you’re interested in soft (vst) modular synthesis, have you seen VCV rack? It’s a free modular option with many free modules. There are some of the modules which are paid add ons (3rd party). I’m sure there’s a thread, or maybe several here about it.

Nothing against Softube, I have some of their plugs and they’re great. However, I don’t have their modular as I opted for the free option to mess about with first.

No affiliations with any of these devs either. Just my opinion.

3. wst3

wst3 my office these days

Apr 2, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I have it, I use it, or rather dink around with it. And remember one of the reasons I don't use my old hardware synths often is that one can spend countless hours playing around. That's not a bad thing by default, but it can be bad if there are other deadlines looming.

I have VCV and the Softube Modular. I find the Softube easier to use, and I am happier with the sounds I've created with it. I probably used up the entire trial period making up my mind, but ultimately I bought it, and I think I have all the extra modules as well, except the latest Buchla, which presently I can't justify.

If you are completely new to modular synthesis my first suggestion would be one of the semi-modular designs from Pittsburgh Modular or similar. There is something about hardware that makes it easier to learn - or at least that was the case for me. (Not entirely fair, since there were no VST modular synths in 1974<G>!)

If that's not realistic then I'd start with VCV. Never hurts to take the low risk approach! But I would plan to trial the Softube Modular at some point - it is really nice!

4. Mark Schmieder

Mark Schmieder Active Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Concord CA
    I have Cherry Audio Voltage and Softube Modular (along with most if not all of its add-ons). I haven't spent much time with either yet, other than tinkering around. I just like the concept of having well-designed modulars at hand, as I so despised the one from Nord, which I owned briefly. I think it only had three buttons on this tiny table-top module, and the software editor required OS9 and was very poor performance and non-intuitive with ugly 1980's-level graphics. So I was thrilled when something more modern came along (Softube Modular) and then Cherry Audio seemed to add needed competition to the mix. PSP Audioware even has Voltage versions of many of their plug-ins.